Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2009, 09:38 PM   #1

Default Help

Hi i own a nitro rc which is a blast but expnsive buying the fuel every time. So i like off roading and this seems pretty neat and less expensive for the hobby overall. So if anyone could give me a good website to purchase from that would be great. Also which would be cool is if you could give me good kits to buy or a complete kit list so i am ready to run. Thank You
ddizlle28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2009, 11:29 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

since youre on this site, your choices are trail/scale rig or comp rig.

as for the kits and where to buy them, just search for info on all the different forums on here, once you find what u want, got to the venders section on here and buy!

welcome.
jedsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:39 PM   #3

well i dont really know what to look for you know. I mean i got a little idea on some kits such as the ckrc crawlers sell axial scorpoin kits but i dont know if they are any good (meaning the kit) also what about theese vendors you are talking about.?
Old 01-21-2009, 12:54 PM   #4
RCC Addict

A good entry level crawler (not comp ready) would be th Axial AX10, good fun out of the box, huge after market for upgrades, scale chassis made if you dicide to go that route. Venders that I have had good dealings with are RPP, RC4WD, CKRC, RCP, any of the ones listed in the Vendor section are all great guys or they would not be on here and supported by the members. Just try doing some reading but I think the Axial will get the most props as a good starter for the money.

Oh ya, welcome to the never ending cash drain hobby of CRAWLING
reddevildemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:07 PM   #5

Haha ya same with nitros. Is that axial a 2.2 or a scale(or are they the same) or the super crawler. I want a really good setup but for around 200 dollars maybey 300. Whats the best kit for aroung that price. I have noticed a lot of aftermarket parts for the axials. If you could please send some links with these setups this way please.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:14 PM   #6

Ya if you folks would send some links this way that would be awsome there are so many choices and selections of the crawlers. For instance the AX 10 and the AX 10 rtr. So just please give me good kits around 200 dollars, and send those links lol!
Old 01-21-2009, 04:52 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Finding a kit thats ready to run out of the box for $200 is going to be REALLY hard to do if you want to buy brand new.
Scott
po' riggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:16 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddizlle28 View Post
So i like off roading and this seems pretty neat and less expensive for the hobby overall.

LOL

let me know how that works out for you.
wojin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:42 PM   #9

When i said less expensive i was comparing to nitro r/cs with buying nitro, parts, bodies, and all that where electric is easier and yes could run expensive but not that bad. Could someone please just help me find a kit around 2-300 dollars i mean i am a kid and thats pushing it for the price. Im trying to sell my nitro for this but its not working!!:
Old 01-21-2009, 09:29 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

A kit will run you around 200-300 bucks but by the time you do all the hop ups your more like 1500. not a cheap hobby at all.
moabax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 05:31 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Could always go small...or mini.

Losi MRC. Complete RTR just over $200
Sinagua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 07:33 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by moabax View Post
A kit will run you around 200-300 bucks but by the time you do all the hop ups your more like 1500. not a cheap hobby at all.
True if you are going all out with hop ups you can spend that much, but you don't have to. I have about $350.00 $400.00 in mine, not counting the Wheels and radio (Aluminum beadlocks $140.00 and DX3.0 $250.00) Bought everything but the wheels, battery, radio and ESC when I bought the truck from tower and got all of it to my door for $273.00. Bought the battery from Cheapbatterypacks for $33.00. If you have a nitro then you already have a Radio/Servos. So pretty much all you need is a ESC and battery. And I also went ahead and ordered different tires and that isn't a necessity.

Last edited by wildcardco1998; 01-25-2009 at 07:35 PM.
wildcardco1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 07:40 PM   #13

ya i mean i am looking but those minis i hear are not ran a lot at clubs and stuff but im looking at those scorpions they have a lot of upgrades
Old 01-25-2009, 08:11 PM   #14

I would like to do comps but for now i would settle for a mini if i could use them in comps later on. Is there a lot of upgrades, and aftermarket pars, and are they built good, and are they much smaller than the 1/10's
Old 01-25-2009, 09:44 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

well the ax10 is 17 1/4" long and 12.5" wide with tires, the losi is 12" long and 7" wide (im not shure if that is with tires or not). The losi mrc could be used for comps in 1.9 size events, however there isnt a huge following for it.
paintballer9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:00 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I would guess you could get a HPI Wheely King RTR (you'll need their crawler conversion kit too) or an Axial Racing AX-10 RTR for less than $300 new. But you will very soon need to spend some bucks on them or you'll be behind the eight ball in no time.

If you could dig a little deeper you could get one of these http://www.tcscrawlers.com/AX10-Scor...4-p-16938.html and put this in it http://www.tcscrawlers.com/Tekin-Cra...2-p-16933.html and use the radio you probably already have, and add a suitable battery. You will then have a very capable crawler that will take you up to club level competition without any big bucks upgrades at all. The tyres on this ARTR are better than the cheaper kit version of this truck, and the body is finished for you, save on paint etc. and it's more comp worthy than the kit body too. Tons of option parts for it too, when you're ready. More here http://www.axialracing.com/ftp/ax10artr/ That ESC is about the best out there, as best I can determine, and that motor is a very common type, it'll serve well.

I know this is already over $300 but I think the only other choice is second hand, or a toy.

There are many other choices out there, trucks and vendors, most of them will cost more than this setup. You could also buy second hand off this site, or E-Bay, but that's your look-out! Buy a cheapie and you'll end up spending more in the long run.

I also am relatively new at crawling so don't take this as gospel. It's just a suggestion, it's good value and good quality, and one that I'm sure will get ya goin' and keep ya happy for quite a while. I hope it helps.

Cheers.
Terranaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:38 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

IMHO, your best bet is to support the site, by buying a star, which will give you access to the classifieds. There are lots of nice lookin crawlers in there now, that will get you into this hobby cheaper than buying new, but be prepared to replace parts if needed.
Scott
po' riggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:17 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballer9876 View Post
The losi mrc could be used for comps in 1.9 size events, however there isnt a huge following for it.
Acutally it depends on where you live and your local club. Many clubs have just as big if not bigger following for 1.9 comps. Things are changing.. The dedicated 2.2 guys need to accept that the 1.9's are here to stay.
morg59jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:19 AM   #19
RCC Addict

My suggestion. for 200.00 your pretty limited to used unless you go with the losi MRC.

Visit RPP Hobby for the crawler. www.rpphobby.com Corey is a well respected vendor here on the forum. and he ll set you up right. plus he ll ship for free on 300.00 plus orders and you ll be there.

Considering you have a useable radio and reciever. i would do this:

If you can squeeze out a bit more money (and you will need to with the MRC also as youll need batterys and a charger).

Buy the Axial ARTR crawler. 240.00
buy a Novak Rooster ESC/55T motor combo 109.00
buy minimun a hitec 645 servo, 40.00 ( but if you can spare the money, around 115.00 for servo, buy a better servo, like a Hitec 5955TG. or a JR Z9100T from another site (unfortunatly, Corey doesnt offer the JR brand servos, atleast i dont think he does, and he doesnt have them on his website if he does).

then all you need beside your radio system, is a battery or two.
considering your running a nitro, its unlikely you ll be able to use that battery pack, so you ll need to get a couple batteries, and i would recommend a good charger if you dont already have one.

what charger are you useing for your nitro batterys? or are you just using the AA Duracell batteries? if you are using regular use and pitch battteries. your going to need a decent charger and batterys. now the big ? is how much you have to spend on them? that can make a BIG differance between ok and quality batterys and chargers.

unless you go for a used unit, you ll be looking at around 350.00 to get going with the 2.2 axial. and around 300 for the MRC after batts and a charger.

Last edited by Timmahh; 01-26-2009 at 10:24 AM.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:14 PM   #20

thanbks for all the help and supprt. I like the minis a lot but they are really really small hence the mini in the name. Scorpions seem cool i just cant affor anything over 350 which seems to be the issue. I am trying to get money but yet again its not working out well. Any other suggestions please let me know