Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Trail/Scale truck Goliath?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2009, 10:47 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Trail/Scale truck Goliath?

Has anyone built a scaler or trail truck with the Goliath chassis/running gear?
NWDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2009, 11:06 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

looks like this guy has done some things with one.

I hit the search tool and found this thread.

prototype for a new goliath chassis
30percent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:41 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I am starting a scale build as we speak with goliath axles.
curve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 06:07 PM   #4
K_B
I wanna be Dave

This is a nice scale build using PTI axles and shocks, but that's the only PTI stuff on it:

My 1st PTI scaler

I thought about using the chassis for a scale build. My plan was to cut the sideplates down to about half their original height, widen it, and lay the tranny on it's side for better CG...
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:55 PM   #5
RCC Addict

i did
Goobs' PTI Crawler
finally
goobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 07:41 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Thanks guys, for the good ideas!
Old 01-20-2009, 11:03 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

well not sure what your definition of scale is....

but i'll post some pics tonight of my setup. its at least scale in the sense it has 1.9's and the wheelbase / width is nearly a perfect fit for the lexan truck body.

I have a hard body in the works, etc.

I used the PTI chassis (quite a bit of modding to it) and tranny. I used TLT axles and new links cuz i think the pti's aren't great.

I did a droop setup for the shocks so that I could place them completely vertical (scale look) yet still achieve 100% of the articulation for necessary for crawling. My suspension is entirely unsprung, but it crawls pretty good so far believe it or not.
WRXronald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:10 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Sounds great! I was hoping to use the stock chassis too, and run the shocks more vertical than the stretched W/B conversion has them. I'm going to use the PTI axles though, since they've been holding up fine.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:32 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWDave View Post
Sounds great! I was hoping to use the stock chassis too, and run the shocks more vertical than the stretched W/B conversion has them. I'm going to use the PTI axles though, since they've been holding up fine.

yeah as long as you like the pti axles there's really no reason you wouldn't be able build your scaler with those, droop or otherwise.

have you modded the axles at all, to fit any sort of mounting points on them? That was another beef i had with the PTI's, unless you're mounting links up the way they designed, there isn't much else in options for mounting. Back when i was using the PTI axles, I fabbed some alum plates and mounted those up to get better options for links on the PTI axles.

I've seen a few picks of the stretched --- all you really would need to do to it to get the shocks upright (for droop) is extend the chassis arms out past your axles. I used some aluminum "L" channel from Lowes (dremmel, drill, cut-off wheel, and presto!). again i'll post pics tonight / tomorrow (have a TON of stuff to package for shipping from my 4Sale threads here so i might not get to it tonight). The extension work isn't pretty - but i'm not good at fabbing like that. One thing i do know - it works, and once the body is on, nobody sees how ugly the chassis is anyways.

Another avantage of the droop that i'm liking -- i have the lexan body mounted LOW on the chassis, and never even trimmed the wheel-wells (it has VERY small wheel-wells too) and almost NO rubbing whatsoever. Since it all droops away from the body, the wheel/tire on opposite side does not PUSH up into the body. Further helps your approach for center of gravity and the fact that most scalers don't want an overly "jacked up" looking body mount.

If i recall correctly, the PTI axles are more narrow than TLT's --- therefore they should serve you better in terms of accomplishing a scale looking rig. The tires will tuck under most standard 1/10 bodies more effectively with the narrow PTI axle - so that's a benefit.

Last edited by WRXronald; 01-20-2009 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:44 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I actually have a pieced together 12" W/B stretch, with Traxxas 4mm links, and the longer PTI center CVD's. So, I'm not running the lower shock mount plates, and was "trying" to use the stock, bolt to the axle lower shock mount locations. It never worked quite right for me, articualtion wise. This, and some link length issues has me sitting there, looking at the disassembled pile of parts, wanting to do something different. There are some issues with the Goliath's design we know about. So I think a 1.9" tire, scale truck will work out better.

I have the shock plates on order, and an HPI WK GRU coming as well.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:24 PM   #11

Well I had a pic of a cool PTI. But It is forsale other than here and I will remove it!!!!

I had never seen a kit like that and thought it was cool.

Last edited by blackhawk; 01-20-2009 at 09:35 PM. Reason: get rid of ebay link
blackhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 07:20 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Wow, I did see that on eBay! I've got over 500 transactions myself on there, so I cruise it quite a bit. It sure beats paying LHS prices for stuff! Good luck with your sale!

Looks good, and it makes me want to fab up something for myself now.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:44 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Default ...

yeah i saw that on ebay too...

was quite intrigued --- coolest looking scale pti chassis work-up i've seen.

I was actually rather tempted on it. I think wheelbase ultimately was why I passed on bidding.

I think if you had sold it w/out those wheels tires or with some mockup 1.9's or better 2.2s you could really snag a better price for the rig, but that's just me talking out my whazooo.

Its a unique lookin' setup

If i recall correctly, the auction had me wanting badly to see pics of it articulated... I'm not saying it can't, but when I see a crawler rig for sale anywhere and there are no shots demonstrating its flexibility, I feel like something is hiding. (this is primarily cuz I bought a rig before w/no pics articulated, and it SUCKED when I got in those terms. Looked neat in the pics, but performed like crap). Your's looks like it has what it needs to flex, I just wondered why you wouldn't show a pic of that. If that's not your rig and you do have pics of it flexing, then please forgive, i have it mixed up with another maybe. Also I wondered about the shocks, I know the stiffness of Traxxas red springs, so I didn't really see how the rig could articulate under the tension of completely vertical traxxas big-bore and red springs?

And lastly - I'm not trying to be a jerk here or anything - but isn't there a policy against linking to an EBAY sale in RCC threads? (thats why we have a for sale forum here at RCC). If the rest of us can't do it, you should not either if you wish to be a respecting member -- I see you have few posts, so maybe you just didn't read the rules yet?

Last edited by WRXronald; 01-20-2009 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:43 PM   #14

You are right, the springs are stiff so the flex isn't all that great. Just depends what you are into I guess. You can set rigs up to do amazing things if you want. The links are short too so that hinders the flexing. Stretching them would do alot. But I never messed with it to much. My freind wanted it for a stock class pulling truck but has other IDEAS now.

I pulled the pic and link for ya. Didn't know about A rule so I apolagize. Just thought for a PTI it was impressive and I had never seen anything like it. It was a very simple setup that has lots of potential.

Last edited by blackhawk; 01-21-2009 at 07:45 AM.
blackhawk is offline   Reply With Quote