Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: My 2009 HR MOA Rig ( Kamikaze inspired )

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2009, 10:30 PM   #1
Oliver Custom Knives

Default My 2009 HR MOA Rig ( Kamikaze inspired )

First things first , Kamikaze is a friggin GENIUS. Thanks for the inspiration

I traded someone here for these HR MOA axles a while back and I finally decided to build them up. I was looking for an idea for the chassis when I came upon this thread : Kamikaze's '09 Komp Rig Build Thread
The more I read the more intrested I became. So , because Im a CHEAP SOB and will never buy a chassis, I built my own. Finished it last night , got to go try it out today. WOW , I love this thing , its so predictible. I forgot the camera , but took some pics when I got home.
I'm running 35T's , Sidewinder , 3s Lipo , Novak BEC ,dig switches with a Pico Nano Servo ( 11 oz/in Tq ) 16T pin in front , 15T pin in rear ( already decided to make it 16F and 16R )
Now that I understand clod stall , I dont mind it at all , its kind of like dig , as long as you know its there , use it. I'm running Hpi rock Grabbers tires / Losi memory foam ,on Berg wheels , Ea front tire weighs 16oz and ea back tire weighs 8 oz, I like them too . The whole rig tipps the scales at 6lbs 2oz.
I would just like to say , if your not handy at building stuff , and want a new chassis for your MOA , BUY A ZERO T from Kamikaze , you'll love it.
On to the pics.

I think its setting a bit too high , 3.4" ,I made 80mm links for the uprights , I'm going to lower it to about 3". I need to make a diffrent servo mount for the steering , I was in a hurrry to try this out. I'm also gona make a diffrent mount for the upper link's , I think it would handle better with a 4 link instead of the 3 link.
Just the way it sits it's an amazing rig , it will totally out crawl my shafty , and it sits 1 1/4 " higher. When I was running it today I had the body velcroed on , wasn't great , so I put the 2 post's in the middle . I think this will work better.

Once again I would like to thank Kamikaze for the idea , I hope your not pissed cause I used your idea , I promise I wont sell em , I'll direct em to you

Dwane
DwaneO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2009, 10:54 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Looking good Dwane. IMO, new upper link mounts on the axles and straight upper links will give you better geometry than the 3 link, and still allow for electronics mounting. Cant wait to see it on Saturday

edit: just read the bottom of your post, great minds...
rob_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:42 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Yea 4 link is better but i give you credit for the 3 link design and using them for electronics mounting

Great rig!
Culetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:52 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Better get some berg inners. Those HPI tires will hookup and snap the stockers. Rig looks good.
frdtrkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:54 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Look good! I think your gonna like the way it works.
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 04:31 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Looking good Dwane! Can't wait to see more stuff.. I dig it.... If we do this swap, I am gonna turn that WK of yours (if you decide to let it go ) into my '09 comp rig
po' riggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 06:06 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

So you drove it today right? Should we be scared?:-P:-P Weather.com says "Few Showers" ALL day for tomorrow. Hopefully we can get our cheaters out there.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:10 PM   #8
Oliver Custom Knives

Thanks everyone for the comments , I appreciate it.

Rob , you got to drive it today , what did you think ? If we dont get some sunny days this week our comp is gona suck big time , those rocks were horrible today. Your rig does real well , mabey cause it weighs like 9 lbs or something. I dont know how but it is heavy.

Im gona go tear my rig apart now. I think I can just use the 1/4" delrin I have for the 4 link mount.

Dwane
Old 01-25-2009, 12:01 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Yeah I drove that POS, should have driven it off a cliff for you

No really, I was surprised at how well it handled. Very predictable and stable. I was comfortable driving it right away.

The rocks really sucked today so it was hard to tell who had the better setup.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:38 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Wow! No shocks at all? Very interesting. Least you'll never have to worry about leaking.
Espeefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 12:15 AM   #11
Oliver Custom Knives

Well had my first comp today with the new rig , AWESOME , the only thing holding this thing back is ME. I would have gotten second if I wouldnt have fallen off the cable bridge(bonus line) , but I got fourth and am damm happy with that. I only got to drive this rig for about 30 min a few days before the comp , and I am relly impressed with the way it handles , not sure if Im gona change anything yet , need more time on it first. Here are some pics one of the other compeditors took of it. Thanks Metalboots