Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Just gettin started you guys like the Summit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2009, 08:23 AM   #1

Default Just gettin started you guys like the Summit

I have been coming to this board for almost 2 years and I think I am ready to take the plunge. I am a rockcrawler (full size) due to the economy and the price of steel to fix broke parts; oh and my wallet I think I am going to take a break from that. Would like to get opinions on what to start out with. Axial ax10, New losi 1/10(when it comes out) or the Traxxas Summit. Would like to have Jeep or Bronco body on it maybe not quite to scale but kinda close. Or is there anything else out there that I dont know about. Thanks your opinons greatly appreciated.
jeepit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2009, 08:31 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I have an ax10 artr and love it, the losi looks like it will be sweet i want one. But the summit from my experiance mith traxxas (tmaxx) will probable explode regularly.
Ryan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:46 AM   #3
RCC Addict

The Summit isn't really a rock crawler either, sure it probably can do it but not as good as the AX10 or Losi 1/10th.
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:50 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Summit looks to me like a basher monster truck that may be able to crawl a little. If they show it jumping in their advertising materials then it kinda ruins it for me.
morg59jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:15 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Like the old saying, "Jack of all trades, master of nothing." This pretty well sums up the Summit. If you want a crawler go with the Axial, it has been in the market long enough that there are many parts available for it. You can customize the Axial to an all out comp level rock crawler or take it to the semi scale end that can still crawle very well.
venom813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:25 AM   #6
RCC Addict

only if you plan to have more of an offroad truck, not a Crawler.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:37 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

I haven't personally driven a Summit but it looks to me to be more of an offroad beast not a crawler. I love Traxxas stuff especially the Slash but I think you would be happier with an Axial for a crawler.

Good Luck and welcome to the club either way.
nascarkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 02:00 AM   #8

Thanks fellas all your comments appreciated......leaning towards the AX 10 RTR w/ maybe a bronco body.
jeepit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:50 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepit View Post
Thanks fellas all your comments appreciated......leaning towards the AX 10 RTR w/ maybe a bronco body.
If you go with the Axial get the ARTR. You are going to upgrade anyway so you will be better off. Speed control,tires,plastic links on the RTR are not good for much but to make it roll.
One-eyed Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:25 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

First up the Axial AX10
I have 3 of the kit version AX10 's and all are fully moded now. Great truck, when I bought mine the RTR and ARTR were not out. If you go with Axial get the ARTR it has most of the things you will want already in the box. Get a (dig unit) they are a must. And dont skimp on a steering servo or you'll be sorry, You can get the( DIG units) from some of the venders on this sight. The ARTR comes with fairly good tires ( Proline Hammers )but there are better.. When the AX10 hit the mkt it shook the crawler industry like nothing else. You could finally buy a crawler kit that would allow you to be competitive right out of the box. They have now steped it up and offer it as a RTR or an ARTR

Now for the Losi,
This is what i would get if i were you. This crawler has it all, Dig front and rear, Werm drive axles and good tires. I will have 2 of these as soon as they are avalible. This crawler rocks and the after mkt will flood with parts very soon after this crawler hits the Hobby shops. If you're going to go with a shafty this is the wave of the furture. The Werm drive axles keep the chassis torq down to a minimum which is what plages most shaft driven crawlers. And having the ability to dig the front or the rear is an awesome feature, not to mention the Losi Claw tires were the tire of choice for the longest time. If the AX10 shook the mkt then this Crwaler will be the crushing blow. I'm not sure but I think the Losi will be offered as a RTR Pro level kit with all the goods right in the box, how can you beat it.

Lastly the Summit,
The summit is a basher, If you're serious about Crawlen this is not the truck for you. Not saying its a bad truck. I like Traxxas and have 2 Revo's and love them both and am looking forward to getting a 3rd when the E Revo Brushless comes out next month. but the summit is no crawler.

Rember these items are a must:
Good Tires with good foams
Nice steering servo with lots of touq
Dig Unit

Hope this helps. Remember this is only my opinion and opinions very so someone else may not agree with me. Both crawlers are very nice and you will be happy with either, i just think you'll spend less in the longrun with the losi.

Last edited by Truggies; 01-27-2009 at 09:36 AM.
Truggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 04:56 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truggies View Post
Both crawlers are very nice and you will be happy with either, i just think you'll spend less in the longrun with the losi.
The Losi seems to be the better buy, you can get one for $285. And the ARTR's are $230-ish, but then add a dig ($70), Losi claws ($40), Losi crawler shocks ($55), + on top of all this, you won't necessarily need to buy a ESC w/ drag brake control as the worm axles in the Losi will act as a drag brake when no power is applied. + w/ the Losi you get a body you can paint yourself so it doesn't look like a RTR truck as per everyone else's. And the driveshafts in the ARTR are, IMO garbage, so hopefully the Losi's are better.

I own a Ax-10, and like it alot, I have done all these things I listed above, and it gets expensive fast. I have told at least 3 people (2 friends and a brother) who were about to order/get the ARTR in the last 2-3 weeks to wait to see what the Losi does. I'm sure there will be things about the Losi that need changing, but not IMO, as much as the Axial's version, which was as stated a ground breker for the hobby/sport.
little Loopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:14 AM   #12

The summit seems more of a do it all truck not strictly a crawler. I have an E revo and am planning on getting the Losi roller. Seems cheaper then getting an AX 10 and pimping it out with all the fun stuff like losi claws and dig.
joules102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:54 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

The Summit/Crawler topic was hotly debated on the Traxxas forums. Basically it is a new kind of truck, kind of a hybred.
The two biggest things that keep it from being a crawler:
The suspension:
- The Revo suspension is cool, and it can be made to articulate, but you are still a lot better off with a live axel.
No Rear Steer.

If you are shopping for trucks I recommend waiting for the Losi 1/10. I'm planning on getting one and turning my AX10 into a scaler.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote