Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: savage shocks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2009, 12:05 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default savage shocks

Do they work good on crawlers? My crawler sits a little low so I was thinking about going with either the 6 3/4 or or 5 3/4 savage shocks to raise it up. Im 3" under chassis ground clearance and Im at 17" wheelbase so I was thinking somewhere around 5" ground clearance is where I should be? My shocks right now are 4" eye to eye.
TBex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2009, 12:10 PM   #2
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBex View Post
Do they work good on crawlers? My crawler sits a little low so I was thinking about going with either the 6 3/4 or or 5 3/4 savage shocks to raise it up. Im 3" under chassis ground clearance and Im at 17" wheelbase so I was thinking somewhere around 5" ground clearance is where I should be? My shocks right now are 4" eye to eye.

Your ground clearence sounds about right to me. 5" under the belly would be way to high. A shock around 4" long is all you really need. Savage shocks are WAY to long.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:23 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Yeah the center of gravity on it is unbelieveable but the way I mounted my shocks I only have about 45 - 50* of art. so I was gonna try killin 2 with 1 but if it sounds like an alright g.c number then I will just mess with my shock locations a little to get a little more flex out of it
Old 01-30-2009, 12:27 PM   #4
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBex View Post
but the way I mounted my shocks I only have about 45 - 50* of art.
Thats allot. Why do you want more? Believe it or not,less is better. Lots of articulation is for shelf queens.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:59 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Ive just always heard that 60-70 is what to shoot for flex wise
Old 01-30-2009, 08:42 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

a few yrs ago maybe. really 40-50degrees is about perfect.
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:03 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I use T Maxx shocks. They're about 5" long eye to eye, and give me about 60 to 70 degrees of articulation. My setup works great.
SUPERINVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:40 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Im using tmaxx shocks now but ive got my shocks mounted almost at the wheel hub at the bottom and the tops are mounted a half inch in and an inch back so I got decent flex, great stability, and all the shock and spring pressure is pushing down right at the tires. Yea it goes great but I just wanted to check in with some of the more advanced guys on wheather it needed more flex and/or more ground clearance. I know some super class guys are at 5" GC and I was wondering if it was worth the trouble becuase I know it would raise the COG
Old 01-30-2009, 10:07 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

I've got about 5" belly clearance on my super, as well, but the tires play a role in that too. I've got Moab XLs, which is pretty much the norm, or so it seems. I haven't run my crawler on the rocks yet (snow on the ground) but I think I like the extra clearance because it should give a lot better break-over angle, especially combined with a droop suspension. It would be nice if the thing could climb a flight of stairs, or those shear vertical, sharp edged rock faces.
Espeefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:23 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Im on moab XLs also , if I went with savage shocks I planned on using them half droop. Im still using one of the first crawler chassis available, the Gecko, but all thats left of it is the center section so I didnt want to raise it so high I couldnt do offcamber very well.