Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Decent spektrum radio for moa and micro dig set-up...dx3??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2009, 08:48 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Decent spektrum radio for moa and micro dig set-up...dx3??

So I really had my heart set on a DX3R and now that my rig is paid for the funds aren't there. I sold my DX2 and still have one speky RX left. I was wondering if the DX3 would suffice or would it be a waste of money. Should I just save for a PK3 or DX3R. I really want to get my set-up put together and running asap. This will be my first comp rig. I was going to run a radio shack micro dig set-up after some more research on how to build a smaller one. Any help would be appreciated greatly gentleman.
Desert Rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2009, 11:28 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

i use the dx3 for all my moa rigs. works great after the 3-position switch mod (search for this in the electronics section for more info), and is priced right. i just couldnt force myself to spend the extra money for a dx3r, when a modded dx3 could do the same thing.
jedsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:17 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

+1 on the DX3

3 position switch works well for me even without having to mod it. but i run a shafty with dig...

good system to run , never had any issues with mine
BuzzKilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 03:08 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Werd!!! Thanks guys. I am a little confused, so I will have to make the mod or it can be useable as is? I am going to search for the mod right now. Thankyou for the info.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:58 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

So I found the thread and it says it has to be a dx3 not the newer dx3.0. Kinda sucks to because you can find dx3.0 with servos and receiver cheaper then the dx3. I guess no one has figured out how to mod the dx3.0 yet. I could always use an extra rx and all the dx3 on the bay seem to only have the radio included.

Any more feedback on this or other options are welcome. Thanks again guys for the guidance.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:36 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Cheap answer is a DX6...easy to mod the throttle yourself, and has plenty of channels. Channel mixing allows lots of flexibility. DX6 radios can be had for $60-80 used but in good condition....a RX is about $50 (Air not Surface). The DX6i is another alternative, but the mod for the throttle is a "Send to Horizion" kind of deal....really hard to source the parts to do it yourself.
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:09 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Rc View Post
Werd!!! Thanks guys. I am a little confused, so I will have to make the mod or it can be useable as is? I am going to search for the mod right now. Thankyou for the info.
I suggest the mod, the stock A switch is in an awkward spot on the DX3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Rc View Post
So I found the thread and it says it has to be a dx3 not the newer dx3.0. Kinda sucks to because you can find dx3.0 with servos and receiver cheaper then the dx3. I guess no one has figured out how to mod the dx3.0 yet. I could always use an extra rx and all the dx3 on the bay seem to only have the radio included.

Yup, unfortunately most of the DX3's that you'll see for sale will be for Tx only. Everyone keeps them for the same reason that you want one with the radio...more than one rig

Any more feedback on this or other options are welcome. Thanks again guys for the guidance.
I've been using a modded DX3 for 2 years and I really dig it. I'm getting ready to pick up a 3R though because I've run out of model memory (DX3 has three, the 3R has 30!) and the features on it are really nice.

I figured if I'm dropping coin on a TX...might as well do it right.
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:18 PM   #8
RCC Addict

find the REACT model, its the best radio made for spektrums.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote