Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Paint or powder coat? Need Info !!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2009, 09:43 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Paint or powder coat? Need Info !!!

Name:  2-11-09 136.JPG
Views: 139
Size:  61.1 KB

I have a steel tuber that I bead sanded today and I need to finish it up. I was thinking about going to a local guy that will powder coat it for a good price but after talking to some people I am on the fence. What I was told today and what I need clarification on is this. Will powder coating start to break down after time and once it is applied I was told that it cannot be removed so repainting a chassis is not possible. Is this true?
Also is powdercoating prone to rusting after cracking occurs.
What are peoples' experience with this. Is powdercoating just bomber and I won't have to worry about the durability or ever redoing my chassis?
Can I get rid of powercoating once it is applied?
Am I better off painting it and then applying a couple layers of clear coat for durability?
If I paint it what is the best method and what type of paint to use for durability and strength on a steel chassis?
At this point I am leaning toward painting but I want to get some opinions. YES YES this is a crawler and I plan on beating it up and using it ( not trying to keep it perfect looking) just the paint job I had on it was kind of a joke and I'm now looking for some more durability? What kind of paint? or powder coating comments. Thanks Guys
Wild Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2009, 09:47 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I dont know much about the durability of powdercoat, but once its powdercoated I know you can remove powder coat with a sand/beadblaster. I've done it my self lots of times. I've done valve covers and a few other things. If you can get powdercoat off a valve cover you can get powder coat off anything.
Jkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:08 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Any suggestions on paint to use?
Wild Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:25 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

go powder, It's very durable, cleans up easy and there is a ton of different colors. The appliances in your house are powder coated. Make sure if you have threaded holes that you have them masked.

Last edited by Mayhem Eng.; 02-11-2009 at 11:54 PM.
Mayhem Eng. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:14 AM   #5

Powder coat is way more durable but sometimes I like paint just because it is easy to touch up if need be.
HELLSUNICORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:11 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Powder is super strong and will look good when done due to the flow out of powder when it melts. If you plan on beating it then powder would be best because it is hard to scratch. Powder is essentially an epoxy you spray on in powder form and heat to bond to the metal. If you do manage to scratch it you can touch up with regular paint that matches.
STJ7780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:35 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Powder coat it...I use a craftsman home powder coat kit and did everything from my rc to my GSXR...I love this stuff, durable, strong, very scratch resistant and comes in a variety of colors like regular paint.
the3kid is offline   Reply With Quote