Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Fixing popping or freezing front end

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2005, 07:25 AM   #1

Default Fixing popping or freezing front end

Cut my tires and was testing it in the rock garden when I noticed the front end wasn't pulling or popping....just frozen. The rear was pushing the front end and the front just refused to turn. If I bumped it in reverse it would free up again. It seemed to do this when I was turning....so out came the screwdriver.

What I noticed is that at full turn, the gear set was sliding over to the short side of the axle and causing the matching gear on the motor to angle...it would then bind and not turn at all. Turning to the (right I believe) caused the axle shafts and gearset to shift over. So, I dug through my nuts and bolts pile to see what I could find.

What I found was a metal washer for what looks to be a 1/4" bolt. Its 1/32" thick. The hole was too small so I drilled it out to 11/32" hoping it would be the right size. I got majorly lucky as the washer slipped right on the white plastic gear at its reduction point. I put the washer on the short axle side gear (picture I stole is from the long side....so if yours is doing what mine did, be sure to put it on the short side). Everything fit perfectly and the axle no longer slides left or right when I turn.

I tested it out and the front axle didn't bind or pop once (I will add I never had popping problems, but I suspect this could cause the gears not to mesh properly and pop. Mine was only binding). :-P

Here is a pic of what I'm talking about. Just remember I put the washer on the short side of the front axle to take up the gap.

I forgot to take pics while I was doing it because I didn't think it would actually work. So, I did get a pic of the washer I used and put it on the jeep so you could get an idea of the size of the washer I used. This is before I drilled the hole to 11/32"

geauxturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links