Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: HR MOA Slingshot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2009, 06:35 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default HR MOA Slingshot

Last year I bought a set of HR axles to use on my comp truck. After a hasty built in the back of a car on the way to a comp, i realized that they would need a couple of improvements to be considered comp worthy. Here is the parts list that i started with:

HR MOA axles
DNA Slingshot chassis
DNA Sniper Rims w/Panthers
FX-R esc
Holmes Hobbies 500 Puller Motors
Traxxas Big Bore shocks w/Losi grey springs external and Mini Quake yellow springs internal
Berg 4-link mount
5595 servo
Hs55 micro servo for dig switches
High clearance knuckles from The Crawler Store
Fubar lockouts
Helios body

The first thing that needed help was the steering setup. The original steering did not have much throw and with the servo standing up it felt like it had too much give. And the linkage was too low and would hang on anything that got in front of it. So, I cut up some ¾” x ¾” aluminum angle for a servo mount. This got the servo lower and moved it back away from the front of the rig. Since the servo was now farther back I needed to move the 4-link mount as well. I just made it even with the top of the gear housing and redrilled. Next, I found an old TLT part and Axial spacer in the bin and used it to raise the linkage above the servo and bent one link so that it wouldn’t hit the other rod. In the pic you can see that I also am using wideners to clear the shocks. But I think that I will remove these since it looks like they will not be needed as much.

Next, with the 500s, the suspension would bind and hit against the motor and gear housing. I also bought this before DNA made a MOA setup so it ended up making the wheelbase ½” short. I bent the lower links into an S. To help retain the usefulness of a bent link setup, I put the second bend at a 45degree angle from the first. If I redo this it will be with aluminum. It was a pain getting the Delrin to keep the bend that you wanted it to be. I got it to work for me decently though. (this was the best pic that I had showing the lower links, sorry)

Since I have ran the 500s with 14t pinions I can honestly say I need a smaller pinion. It has great speed and ok resolution but everything gets hot very quickly. I will change it out to a 9 or 10 tooth as soon as I can get some. I am also running a semi-droop setup with the mini Quake springs on the inside and the Losi greys balancing each other out. After those simple changes it’s night and day. Everything else was fairly normal. Anyways, here is a side view and the mandatory poser flex and balancing on end shots.

bondt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links