Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: New to Crawlin with an AX10 ARTR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2009, 08:56 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Thumbs up New to Crawlin with an AX10 ARTR

Hey everyone,

I was turned on to these little machines yesterday at my LHS. This is exactly what I have been waiting for in surface RC! I have been flying RC helicopters for 20 years, and compete at the national level in precision aerobatics. I'm also a member of Team Kyosho as a factory rep pilot, flying the Caliber 90, 6, and 450V series helicopters.

Given that, I'm no noob to RC, but I am to this cool "new" aspect to surface RC. I look forward to browsing what seems to be a mountain of info on this forum. I read enough to already make the desicion to order an AX10 Scorpion ARTR from Tower last night.

I went with the Novak T55 brushed motor and Rooster ESC, but I'm still on the fence regarding Brushed or Brushless. I have read that many prefer brushed for starting torque and low cost, but I know of many advantages of brushless motors from my air RC experience.

I'd like to hear some no-BS answers to this debate.

Also, I see many folks are using 4+ channel radios for the many features these trucks can have. So, that means a lot of you are using air-style, dual stick RC transmitters. How do you like using them as opposed to pistol-grip style radios? I have a JR 9303 heli radio that's converted to XPS to use on my AX10 initially, but I may want to get a Futaba 3PK on FASST in the future. Thoughts?

See you all on the courses!

Erich

Last edited by ErichF; 02-18-2009 at 10:29 AM.
ErichF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2009, 09:12 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Oh man, with your heli experience I could see you going off the deep end with one of these. It's not hard to get addicted. As for the brushed vs. brushless debate, the brushed seem to have more control at VERY low rpm, speed. Not to say brushless can't work but for the extra expense and virtually no advantage it does not really seem necessary in crawling application. Post some heli vids!
Gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:13 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

hey welcome.
you have found the most informative site this side of mars.
the search bar will be your best friend.

SEARCH

yes there is a classifieds section.
Classifieds

make it be known your here....
INTRO

... and lastly here is a great place to start.
Tips and Tricks... the bibles

enjoy your stay.
crunky is offline   Reply With Quote