Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Duratrax Overdrive Buildup...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2005, 07:52 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Duratrax Overdrive Buildup...

So... for all of those who are so eagerly searching the for sale forum looking for a decent crawler to begin with, I present today's brain fart. I had an old Duratrax overdrive sitting around. It's a simple 4wd I/S truck, or rather was... Just about everyone has something like this, and in a few short hours, this truck was born.

Specs:

Axles: Duratrax Overdrive suspension arms, locked and linked.
Chassis: Overdrive fr/rr shock towers, with X-Factor links and scrounged ball ends.
Transmission: Rusty/'Pede pending
Wheels: currently single narrowed CEN MT wheels w/rckjeep rock rings
Tires: Moabs with cut foams of course
Body: Proline Silverado for 'Pede, cut and bobtailed

Clearance: ~4.5" at chassis, ~3" at diff's

Of course there's still a few parts waiting for completion, and who knows when that might be with my work schedule, but I like the way it turned out so far, and of course it will have plenty of kinks to work out. For one, the articulation is far too much, and the truck will get nearly 130 degrees. I'll be making new links and using different shock mounts.

Total cost so far has been about... well, $0. I had everything, or recycled it from the donor truck. The only absolutely essential parts were the x-factor links, and they will be replaced by standard 1/4" aluminum rod. I don't anticipate spending more than $50 on this truck.
Attached Images

radishkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2005, 09:14 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Nice. It needs some larger tires if it can handle them though.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 04:23 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

cool little rig... nice chassis... i would suggest to bend the front steering tie rod up and out of the way like the shape of the axle

what kinda shafts u gonna run... pede or max or revo?? i think the tires fit the truck perfect.... mabey u could make it to 2.2 specs to drive in it
nd4spdbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 10:24 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

kewl
DISTURBIN' tha PEACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 04:38 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Nice! Keep it at 12.5" wheelbase, add a transmission and you'll be set to stomp around in the 2.2 class.

That profile shot looks so awesome. You might have just stumbled on the next truck to build! Though duratrax parts are a little harder to come by compared to tamiya/traxxas.

Keep us updated.
Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 07:24 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plays_with_Toys
Nice! Keep it at 12.5" wheelbase, add a transmission and you'll be set to stomp around in the 2.2 class.

That profile shot looks so awesome. You might have just stumbled on the next truck to build! Though duratrax parts are a little harder to come by compared to tamiya/traxxas.

Keep us updated.
What is the reccomended track width?? left wheel []---()---[] right wheel..
Speed Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 09:41 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Cool build up!!

I can't wait to see it finished!

Let us know how it runs once done.
ARC MotorSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 01:42 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I don't believe you can exceed a 12.5" track width. I'll have to reread the rules. Shouldn't be a problem though unless you're here in Colorado. Most guys run modified RCCrawler rules. It depends also how big your 2.2 class is. If there are very few people, then exclusions probably won't happen, because they need more people. But when the groups grow, the need to manage things arises.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:40 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I am a bit confused... isnt wheelbase is the distance of your front wheel centre to rear wheel centre??? and track width is between left wheel and right wheel???

Maybe I am asking at the wrong thread but I'd appreciate if the answer will pop up

BTW, radishkid.... that's a cool project.... can we have the bottom pics as well???
Speed Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 06:48 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Demon
I am a bit confused... isnt wheelbase is the distance of your front wheel centre to rear wheel centre??? and track width is between left wheel and right wheel???
And you are correct. I believe that PWT was explaining 2.2 class specs not allowing a vehicle with a track width of over 12.5" for competition. This truck currently pushes both specs, but a simple wheel change would solve the track width problem.

I will be finishing it soon. I have a lot of papers to grade, but as soon as my paycheck comes in this Friday I'll be a little more liberal with my money if not my time
radishkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 08:49 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

The only thing on that truck that I'd change is the body. That wheel/tire combo is HOT.