Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Flying with crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2009, 08:24 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Flying with crawler

Has anyone tried getting on a plane with R/C equipment recently. I did four years ago with no problems but understand there are more restrictions. Also I read a guy got his batteries and charger taken. Going out to Pheonix for a couple days. Figuring on putting it all in checked baggage.
Halfj-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2009, 08:41 AM   #2

Just contact the airline you're flyin' with. Beats being misinformed and possibly having something confiscated.
wbillylee03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:55 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

skip the airline. ups it to where you are staying. play then ups it back to your self.
thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:58 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

went to vegas a few months back packed it in the suitcase tools charger and clothes had no issues there are several other posts where they had them strapped to there backpacks and carried them on the plane
kasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:02 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I'll tell you this much, from my experience flying with electronic devices for my work:

The TSA just flat-out does'nt give a crap about your personal belongings, period. Especially if it's checked baggage, cause you're not around to see them mis-handle it.

Once they see what's inside on the X-ray, they'll definitely want to unpack it to visually inspect it. Or in layman's terms they'll up-end your gear bag on a table, rummage through it and remove the batteries from anything that has them, then dump it all back in the bag . If your gear doesn't fit back in like it came out, one guy will stomp on it while another guy zips the zipper shut.

If you really want to have a crawler on hand for your trip, my advice would be to box it up and ship it to your destination beforehand. We all know how rough Brown Santa can be, but he will still treat your stuff with more respect than the TSA...
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:14 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post
I'll tell you this much, from my experience flying with electronic devices for my work:

The TSA just flat-out does'nt give a crap about your personal belongings, period. Especially if it's checked baggage, cause you're not around to see them mis-handle it.

Once they see what's inside on the X-ray, they'll definitely want to unpack it to visually inspect it. Or in layman's terms they'll up-end your gear bag on a table, rummage through it and remove the batteries from anything that has them, then dump it all back in the bag . If your gear doesn't fit back in like it came out, one guy will stomp on it while another guy zips the zipper shut.

If you really want to have a crawler on hand for your trip, my advice would be to box it up and ship it to your destination beforehand. We all know how rough Brown Santa can be, but he will still treat your stuff with more respect than the TSA...
Simple rule, the more expensive it looks the harsher they'll treat it. A couple of years back I logged a butt-ton of airline miles for work, I am amazed how much abuse my laptop took. You'd likely be better off going with the UPS idea.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:37 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Default Not a big deal...

Hey guys,

I travel a lot for work, and have taken my 450-sized helicopter, blades, batteries and all, as carry-on several times. In fact, the TSA wants you to have your batteries in your carry-on, now. You are allowed up to 25grams Equivalent Lithium Contect per battery (carry-on), or 300W/hrs if you don't know how to calculate ELC. Put simply, that's a LOT of battery, about 40,000mAh for a 7.4V pack.

You can have one battery installed on your equipment (truck), plus two spares packed. They have to be packed such that there's no chance of shorts or puncture.

Obviously, tools would not be acceptable carry-on items, so pack them in your checked bags. Put the charger in there, too, so you can keep the weight of your carry-on low.

As you go through screening, act normal and answer questions directly without being a smart-ass. In some cases, they will open the carry-on and swab the items with a chem pad and analyze for explosives. Do not volunteer information that is not asked for.

Expect screening to take you about 2-3 minutes longer than normal, if they want to look in your bag.

Lastly, make sure your carry-on fits in the overhead template at the terminal check-in. Unless you have a hard-case carry-on, you don't want it denied at boarding and be forced to check your truck. It will get crushed if checked.

I am going to CA in a few weeks, and will be bringing my Scorp with me. I'm looking at getting a Pelican or Storm Case to bring it...and will probably just check it.

Here is some more specific info I copied from another site:

Quote:
Lithium ion batteries rated over 300 watt-hours (25 g ELC) are forbidden.

Equivalent Lithium Content (ELC). ELC is a measure by which lithium ion batteries are classified. 8 grams of equivalent lithium content are equal to about 100 watt-hours. 25 grams of equivalent lithium content are equal to about 300 watt-hours.

mAh/1000 x V = wh

4500 / 1000 x 22.2(6S) = 99.9wh x 3 (1 in heli + 2 spares) = 299.7

or try

300wh / V / 3 (lipo packs) x 1000 = MAX mA per pack.

(V = 3.7 per cell)

Links to info:
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtra.../batteries.shtm
http://safetravel.dot.gov/whats_new_batteries.html
http://safetravel.dot.gov/larger_batt.html

Last edited by ErichF; 03-02-2009 at 09:42 AM.
ErichF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:38 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I would definitely ship it via UPS versus flying with it, at least you could insure it.
dano104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:03 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Flying with your crawler is really no big deal.

If its a 2.2 just take the tires off and you ca fit the rig,tires and a radio in a book bag and that way it never leaves your sight.They may want to look at it and swab it but its no big deal.Like said before stay calm and answer all questions straight forward without being a smart ass.

We went to nationals this past year and I was a nervous wreck about the trouble I thought I was going to run into and hell it was more trouble taking off my boots and belt

We carried 2-2.2's and 2-supers the 2.2 in book bags and the supers in our carry on bags.There was 3 of us so I used the other carry on bag for tools,chargers,and super tires.Then our clothes went into checked.
Really it was no big deal and I am not worried one bit about making the trip again this year.
joesbruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:30 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

thanks for the replies all. I think UPS will be the ticket.
Halfj-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:04 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfj-7 View Post
thanks for the replies all. I think UPS will be the ticket.
While not as convenient, it's certainly the safest way.
ErichF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:34 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

what do you guys think about flying with your crawler on an international flight? i might be going to Germany in October, and i'd like to take it with me. and mailing it isn't really an option in this case, so if i can't take it with me on the plane, than it won't go.
amorton94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:40 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

hope you have the proper freq.for your tx. in Germany 27 and part of 40 are for surface rcs.
thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 02:46 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

it's the stock losi 2.4ghz spectrum (?) i'm just wondering if it is any more of a hastle taking a crawler with you on international flight?
amorton94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:55 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

like stated earlier was more trouble taking off the shoes then flying with the crawlers i have to carry insulin for my diabetis thatwas more hassle then the grawler your worried about something you shouldnt worry about go have fun send pics of you crawling
kasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:22 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

TSA...Totaly Sh!tty Attitude towards anyones personal items. UPS it.
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote