Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: 8t or 9t pinion ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2005, 09:48 AM   #21
Rock Stacker

Really why is that ?? I like to learn new things.. Am I missing something, I have found through trial and error that the lower gears in combination with the larger tires seems to be the winning combo. The same seems to be true with my 1:1. Not trying to bash you digler I’m just wondering what I am missing and if there is something I can do to improve my currant set up, any info would be greatly appreciated
jeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2005, 09:50 AM   #22
Rock Stacker

Smile

sorry didnt read you other post befor responding to the simple "no"
Old 09-30-2005, 09:55 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster
Really why is that ?? I like to learn new things.. Am I missing something, I have found through trial and error that the lower gears in combination with the larger tires seems to be the winning combo. The same seems to be true with my 1:1. Not trying to bash you digler I’m just wondering what I am missing and if there is something I can do to improve my currant set up, any info would be greatly appreciated
Personally, I think that the best rc crawler drivers are guys from Colorado and Utah. They have demonstrated over the past few years that they can win the comps, time after time, against people from all over the country. The winning combo seems just the opposite and I have also followed their lead. On the Super crawlers, I thought big 7 inch tires with 8 tooth pinions was the way to go. Now, I run mashers that aren't even 6 inches tall with 12 or 13 tooth pinions. My crawlers do much better set up like this, discounting the theory of bigger is better and that 1:1 rules apply to rc.
DirkDigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 09:58 AM   #24
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkDigler
Also, take into account that the terrain that we are crawlin on is totally different, when you look at it in scale perspective. It requires totally different gearing than our 1:1 counterparts. And what about tire size in proportion to the truck size.....and compare the tire/truck size to the obsticles. What about the weight of our rigs? What about wheel speed and rpm? Lower geared is not always better. How about driving style...or lack there of.
Bottom line is...... I have no idea of what I am talking about.
As I said before they are different, however for crawling I still say go with the lower gears.... try to use driving skill to negotiate (sp?) obstacles rather than power over them if you are powering over everything in your path than we cant call it crawling
Old 09-30-2005, 10:02 AM   #25
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Personally, I think that the best rc crawler drivers are guys from Colorado and Utah. They have demonstrated over the past few years that they can win the comps, time after time, against people from all over the country. The winning combo seems just the opposite and I have also followed their lead. On the Super crawlers, I thought big 7 inch tires with 8 tooth pinions was the way to go. Now, I run mashers that aren't even 6 inches tall with 12 or 13 tooth pinions. My crawlers do much better set up like this, discounting the theory of bigger is better and that 1:1 rules apply to rc.
well said you do have a point here I also run smaller tires than the norm on my rc, I still seem to like the lower gears though... maby I will re visit the idea of using some of my higher gears.... thanks for the insite. I have been wron before.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:06 AM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
As I said before they are different, however for crawling I still say go with the lower gears.... try to use driving skill to negotiate (sp?) obstacles rather than power over them if you are powering over everything in your path than we cant call it crawling
A lot depends on the type of terrain you crawl on. Most of the stuff we do out here, "in real crawler territory", is slick rock. There aren't huge boulders, etc. Lot's of ledges, steep climbs and things like that. We have found that have some taller gearing and wheel speed can help. If you are negotiating big boulders and drop offs and what not, lower gearing can certainly aid there.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:09 AM   #27
Say hello to my dactylion

Quote:

I never said use 13t pins to power over everything. I said: Learn to feather the throttle, 55t with 13t pins have plenty of tourque for any situation. AND you will have juice if you ever need it.
PinchFlat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 10:17 AM   #28
Rock Stacker

Quote:
A lot depends on the type of terrain you crawl on. Most of the stuff we do out here, "in real crawler territory", is slick rock. There aren't huge boulders, etc. Lot's of ledges, steep climbs and things like that. We have found that have some taller gearing and wheel speed can help. If you are negotiating big boulders and drop offs and what not, lower gearing can certainly aid there.
were is real crawler territory? lol I think we may be pretty close to the same location
anyways Im going to try some higher gears again (I dont fear change) and see how they compare around here.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:20 AM   #29
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinchFlat
I never said use 13t pins to power over everything. I said: Learn to feather the throttle, 55t with 13t pins have plenty of tourque for any situation. AND you will have juice if you ever need it.
no worries if that is what woorks for your driving style that is the way to go. not saying you were wrong
Old 09-30-2005, 10:22 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Right. That was why I made the related comment: proportional esc's combined with high turn motors can net you some amazing results. In the end, driving experience, know how.....and lots of luck will win the comp.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:28 AM   #31
Say hello to my dactylion

Quote:
no worries if that is what woorks for your driving style that is the way to go. not saying you were wrong
Style, I have no style, driving or other.

Hey your close to us Jeepster, we ever going to see you at one of our comps... come on down anytime.
PinchFlat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 10:30 AM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Style, I have no style, driving or other.

Hey your close to us Jeepster, we ever going to see you at one of our comps... come on down anytime.
If he came to one of our comps, he would have to leave at least a week or two early because he runs such low gearing in his vehicle.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:37 AM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger
I like to feel up testicles using Digler's technique, and not give the courtesy of a reach around.

Quit smokin' the pole, dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger
really like the 8T pinions with a 7 cell pack in my shafty Clod. I have both good crawlability and wheel speed to break things.
"I don't care who you are, that's funny right there."
Bsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 10:38 AM   #34
Rock Stacker

I would love to come down to a comp some time. that would be great... it would only take me a couple of hours, actually and thats if im towing my rig lol anyway it would be cool to ceck out some of the other rigs around let me know when your next get together is
Old 09-30-2005, 10:41 AM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I would love to come down to a comp some time. that would be great... it would only take me a couple of hours, actually and thats if im towing my rig lol anyway it would be cool to ceck out some of the other rigs around let me know when your next get together is
Ours is tommow in Colorado Springs.
See you there!
Old 09-30-2005, 10:48 AM   #36
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Ours is tommow in Colorado Springs.
See you there!
well I guess I was wrong I thought you were a utah boy... I probly wont make it to colorado tomarrow... thanks for the invite though
Old 09-30-2005, 10:49 AM   #37
I wanna be Dave

First of all..... I never invited you.
Second...Read my location: I'm from ****ville.
Third....it is an insult that you would think that I am gay.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:52 AM   #38
Rock Stacker

Talking

Quote:
First of all..... I never invited you.
Second...Read my location: I'm from ****ville.
Third....it is an insult that you would think that I am gay.
you are a funny guy digler you always make me laugh
Old 09-30-2005, 10:54 AM   #39
Rock Stacker

seriously though digler I am curios to know what you are running in you setup

Last edited by jeepster; 09-30-2005 at 10:59 AM.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:01 AM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
seriously though I am curios to know what you are running in you setup
Honestly?
I change it all the time. I change it for terrain, etc. It seems like excessive work for someone who can't drive fer ****.....but I have always been a believer in adaptability. That is one reason I have multiple rigs too.
With my 40 series moab rig, I actually do go with 8 tooth pinions.
With my comp rig, I go with masher 2ks and vary between 9 tooths, all the way to 15 tooths.