Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Alternative 12volt battery? (smaller)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2005, 09:07 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Alternative 12volt battery? (smaller)

What are you guys using for smaller 12volt batteries. I want to flat skid mine but I dont know what to do with the big @ss battery? Looking for a smaller, lighter alternative battery before I take it to the sawzall.
RoCk SkuLLz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2005, 09:10 PM   #2

I like the big *** battery, it lasts a hell of a long time and adds much needed weight to the rig.
911rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 09:21 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

yea but im willing to sacrifice a little battery time for weight and ability. Also I would think a smaller, lighter battery would relieve some stress from the weak drivetrain.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:30 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Hey 911rc, I noticed you shaved your skid. how did you fit the battery? Got any other pics? I was looking to shave mine another inch than yours but id go with it like this if the battery still fits.

Old 09-28-2005, 12:12 AM   #5
RCC Addict

I'm really interested too. Did you make a body lift? Can the boards be put in the bed under the plastic?
raytard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 06:32 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Just gotta do some fitting and trimming on the interior of the jeep if you want to fit the battery back in.

If you want (which is an idea i was thinking of doing) you can run a 10 cell battery setup. (10 x 1.2v = 12v) you could even make a saddle style and put 5 on each side. It's something i threw around in my head but i never really seen to much of a need.

NickRummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 01:31 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Ended up cutting mine last night. Built a flat skid for it out of my old tranny cover on my YJ. Looks pretty similiar to NickRummy's but with 4-screws on each side to mount it. I ran some big stretch black caulking on there too to help keep dust and moisture out.

It increased alot of belly clearance, still need to finish mounting the electronics. Belly height is exactly a coke can. Should work better on the rocks now. We'll see.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:39 PM   #8

In order to fit the battery all I had to do was cut the floorboard out from the body, it sticks up into the body but fits nice.
911rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 07:13 AM   #9
RCC Addict

congrats on the tummy tuck. Now you get to deal with the axles getting hung up ;)

Its frustrating because now you have more clearence under the center but it really only makes it easier for the big axles to get hung up on stuff. You'll see when you drive it. High centering is still pretty easy. Straight on stuff is awesome now though. like steps.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:00 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

My battery fits but it has to be ran on its side not verticle. Its about 1/4" shorter that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911rc
In order to fit the battery all I had to do was cut the floorboard out from the body, it sticks up into the body but fits nice.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:52 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickRummy
congrats on the tummy tuck. Now you get to deal with the axles getting hung up ;)

Its frustrating because now you have more clearence under the center but it really only makes it easier for the big axles to get hung up on stuff. You'll see when you drive it. High centering is still pretty easy. Straight on stuff is awesome now though. like steps.
make some curved skidplates
Got Rocks? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 05:41 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoCk SkuLLz
My battery fits but it has to be ran on its side not verticle. Its about 1/4" shorter that way.
is it ok to run a lead acid battery on its side?
Old 09-30-2005, 05:42 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Rocks?
make some curved skidplates
It was a thought but it doesn't make that much of a difference since the axles are massive. I think the solution i'm going to take is trimming down the axles. I just need to find some time to do it.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:43 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickRummy
is it ok to run a lead acid battery on its side?
It says it's a sealed lead acid battery. I would assume it's similar to an Optima. Of course they're gel cell though.

Keith
LibertyPatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 11:13 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

I cant imagine it harming the battery if its on its side for driving time only. When im not using it and charging it I sit it upright.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:42 AM   #16
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoCk SkuLLz
Ended up cutting mine last night. Built a flat skid for it out of my old tranny cover on my YJ. Looks pretty similiar to NickRummy's but with 4-screws on each side to mount it. I ran some big stretch black caulking on there too to help keep dust and moisture out.

It increased alot of belly clearance, still need to finish mounting the electronics. Belly height is exactly a coke can. Should work better on the rocks now. We'll see.
So you basically raised your CG up a couple inches, not something this rig needs with the weight of the body. :?
badger is offline   Reply With Quote