Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: billygoats quicksand miniclod build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2009, 09:56 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default billygoats quicksand miniclod build

The first time i saw these was on grizzly4x4's rig at a comp in colorado. i thought they looked different but i wasnt sure why. i asked him a few questions about them and my brain started to churn. I am privledged to be one of the first to build and try out the production version.

first the kit consists of 4 tubes and 2 lockers for the clod axle gearbox.this kit utillizes stock axial inner axles ,c's,knuckles and straight axle adapters. the fit and finish is awesome. a great attention to details and fit went into this kit.
assembly went very quickly partly due to the detailed instructions grizzly4x4 put together and all the parts fit seemlessly with the clod center.the locker holds the axles with a very good tolerance and are well supported. the stock axial parts(c's and straight axle adapters) bolted up easier than on the stock axles. steering is awesome. i used vanquish knuckles for this build and will need to add axial cvd's soon.

the sugested parts list is very helpfull and a teplate for servomount and where to shave the clod case are very clear. i really like the idea of these and have high hopes( based on watching chris drive his rig.) for these axles.
i believe they will be hard to beat as a 2.2 axle. they are strong,easy to get parts for and ultra reliable. the bonus is they are almost exactly stock axial width. reliable m.o.a. with a great width to boot.

my build list includes

quicksand miniclod kit
Vanquish dh 2.2 procomps
j concepts rocx crawler tires
d biscuit 45t handwounds
losi crawler shocks limited internally
traxxas 5319 lower links
delrin uppers
tk twister chassis( t1e chassis comming soon)
sidewinder
electrodig
e flight micro
dx3r
common sense lipo

i know my workbench is a mess but heres some pics

one axles with tubes and locker in stalled and one un assembled(locker not in photo so no copy cats!!!)

just showing off the tubes. ceters are all stock with bearings.

these tubes are a functional art.

heres the front axle assembled and mounted up with vanquish knuckles to roller status

a quick shot of the rear with adapters adapters. i cant say enough about the fit of these . the tolerances are great and every part fits like butter.

and lastly a shot of the front from underneath.

sorry for the bad couple of pics. i will have pics of the roller (maybe the finished version in the a.m.

id like to thank
grizzly4x4 for putting out such a nice innovative product!!! WAY TO GO CHRIS
BILLYGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2009, 10:01 PM   #2
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Very cool. I am interested in seeing how these perform and hold up. I loved my 2.2 clod. It was practically indestructible.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:07 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
Very cool. I am interested in seeing how these perform and hold up. I loved my 2.2 clod. It was practically indestructible.
i ve been watching grizz run the hell out of his and they are very durable. this is the rebirth of the 2.2 clod(at least for me.) ill keep posting up . going to try to finish the build in the morning and take it out for some test and bash to see what these things are made of.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:09 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Cool setup. I'm watching this one.
BigB_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:34 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Dude that would be the answer to my prayers about how to get my 2.2 down width wise. It would be nice to have a selection of wheels to choose from. How much are these, when are they in production and when can i get them???? Im very very interested.
Laker67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:41 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I bought these from grizz also, they seem very stable now i just have to find a chassis...
You can probley contact grizzly4x4 via pm and ask i think he said he was selling them for $70-75 but dont quote me on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker67 View Post
Dude that would be the answer to my prayers about how to get my 2.2 down width wise. It would be nice to have a selection of wheels to choose from. How much are these, when are they in production and when can i get them???? Im very very interested.
paintballer9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:43 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Very cool. You've got my interest. Can't wait to see more.
Espeefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:44 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Very nice! Can't wait to get mine.
dave56bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:19 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Great build thread for a great product set for the Clod. It is good to see more breath and life coming in the Clod.

I am waiting patiently for my sets.

Carl

Last edited by quickster47; 03-04-2009 at 04:22 AM.
quickster47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 05:23 AM   #10
MODERHATER™

Wow, I had no idea these would make production. You are super lucky!

Makes me think about selling my Bergs and going back to a 2.2 clod!
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 05:32 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Looks good... Just ordered everything I needed to complete my Test kit myself...Just looking for those tlt suspension stays now.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:41 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker67 View Post
p.m. grizzly4x4 im not sure if a price has been set yet but i am sure the kit (4 tubes and 2 lockers) will be under $100. also your clod would be axial narrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickster47 View Post
Great build thread for a great product set for the Clod. It is good to see more breath and life coming in the Clod.

I am waiting patiently for my sets.

Carl
yeah carl, thats how i feel. im glad clod is comming back and im glad grizzly4x4 is helping bring new life to them. thanks for the props!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
Wow, I had no idea these would make production. You are super lucky!

Makes me think about selling my Bergs and going back to a 2.2 clod!
do it patrick, these things are awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn View Post
Looks good... Just ordered everything I needed to complete my Test kit myself...Just looking for those tlt suspension stays now.
your going to have fun with your build. mine just keeps getting better. also you have a p.m.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:58 AM   #13
RCC Addict

It'll never work like Grizz's, lol. Looking good there buddy! Guess you found a use for the chassis. I am debating starting one of these as opposed to my Berg desires. Cost is the issue and this would be considerably cheaper to me.

Can't wait to see it.
O.C.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:30 PM   #14
Gettin’ back on the horse

Hey this looks neat! But I don't read I just look at the pictures. Can you post the words to what you said in picture form?
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:01 PM   #15
RCC Addict

These are sweet....really glad I didn't pull the trigger on a Berg now. Can't wait to see all the builds at are going to be coming with these.
clarkrw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:03 PM   #16
PapaGriz Yo

Great start John. I can't wait to see what setups you guys come up with for the Miniclod axles. Them knuckles and straight axle adapters look bitchin.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:10 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

http://www.shop.rpphobby.com/product...&productId=584

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn View Post
dave56bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:11 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc J33P View Post
It'll never work like Grizz's, lol. Looking good there buddy! Guess you found a use for the chassis. I am debating starting one of these as opposed to my Berg desires. Cost is the issue and this would be considerably cheaper to me.

Can't wait to see it.
i would never try to measure up to grizz. he's a jedi you know

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
Hey this looks neat! But I don't read I just look at the pictures. Can you post the words to what you said in picture form?
ok look down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkrw3 View Post
These are sweet....really glad I didn't pull the trigger on a Berg now. Can't wait to see all the builds at are going to be coming with these.
i just bought some bergs but after this build im really excited about these. they,like everything else have there place but with another option to consider i think itsone of the most apealing solutions to moa. bringing back the old with a modern twist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
Great start John. I can't wait to see what setups you guys come up with for the Miniclod axles. Them knuckles and straight axle adapters look bitchin.
thanks chris. i tried to use all your hard work to help me and being fortunat enough to have seen your rig multiple times i had a great head start. you might not have noticed but i was taking mental notes. again bravo on a great design.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:22 AM   #19
RCC Addict

some roller pics so turtle can understand whats been going on here without having to read.

naked roller

i made my servo mount from 1/8th" angle. its a little different than the original but works great. i also made my top link mounts from delrin.and changed to the black knuckles.

top view.chassis is 3"wide . T1E is helping get a chassis done for me soon. keep checking back.

roller with vanquish dh 2.2 procomps and Jconcepts rocx tire(these things are sweet!!!) thanks rpmj for the body.My wife has claimed this rig as hers so i have to include a pic with her wheels and tires so the following is the wife set up. i will comp with this rig first as a backup but i could see these axle being on all my rigs soon.

so tortuga i hope you like the picture book.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:04 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

that looks awsome, i wouldnt mind having one
sandblaster87 is offline   Reply With Quote