Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: legal mini crawlers other than losi?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2009, 08:56 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default legal mini crawlers other than losi?

like the title says - I was wondering if anyone had info on any other mini rock crawlers coming to market? right now it seems like the 1.9 comp class was designed for the Losi. I realize that tlt's will work, I was just hoping another company would support the class? Any input would be great.

thanks - curt
crawlinghulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2009, 11:54 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

the only RTR or kit that truely meets the spect of the 1.9 class is the Losi. thats pretty much the reason the 1.9 class isn't taking off very quickly in our local club
wojin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:36 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

RC4wd has a mini crawler in the works.
Hillcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:38 PM   #4
MODERHATER™

You can make TLT axles work.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:11 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlinghulls View Post
I realize that tlt's will work,

thanks - curt
Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
You can make TLT axles work.
But he cant make you read his whole post(I love you Pat)
SACCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:14 PM   #6
MODERHATER™

Thats all I had to offer, thats it, I know of nothing else.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:27 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I've been waiting for more choices also. They definitely haven't taken off at my local comps yet & probably that's the main reason. The losis look like a good car but just like the ax10 they need a lot of mods to make them comp ready right?
tim the toolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:39 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim the toolman View Post
I've been waiting for more choices also. They definitely haven't taken off at my local comps yet & probably that's the main reason. The losis look like a good car but just like the ax10 they need a lot of mods to make them comp ready right?
uhhh well it really depends on what other people are running! "comp ready" is really a relative term. A fancy term for competitive. If everyone is crawling a stock traxxas rustler, and you go out and buy a stock traxxas rustler to crawl against them, you are just as competitive as them. In other words your traxxas rustler is comp ready! (haha why did i choose traxxas rustler???). Same idea goes for the losi mini crawler. If everyone is running a stock mrc, and you buy a stock mrc to compete with, you are comp ready. Now if everyone is running tricked out mrc's with every mod on them that is known of at this time, you may have to do a little work to get it "comp ready". But you know, I ran my mrc box stock for a few months and it was a blast to run! These things are better out of the box performers than the ax10 kit imho. and they are RTR with some nice electronics. Also with a few simple and free mods, you can improve their performance drastically. Such as relocating the battery (some people put it on top of the servo, i cut mine up and mounted 4 cells on top of the 3rd link and 2 cells underneath the 3rd link), get rid of the upper chassis and mount the electronics lower and the shocks to the tvp's (this will lower the ride height a bit), and slam the body. If you want the ride height even lower, you can mount the shocks to the lower link mount. Then some cheap mods that help; thicker shock oil and adding lead weights (to wheels and/or axles). The tires are okay but they do have a lot of room for improvement, so tires would be the next upgrade. But for getting started they are fine. Honestly, these are great rigs out of the box and even greater with just a bit of your time. I don't get why people are complaining about these losi's being the only option. They are affordable, great out of the box, and full of potential. I don't remember anyone complaining back when tlt's were the only option for 2.2. I know it's good to have other choices and competitors in the market and i'd love to see more choices but honestly, this is the image that comes to my mind when I hear complaints like this:
RCMFMaxxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:50 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Nicely stated RCMFMaxxMan. There WILL be other companies with 1.9 crawlers in the future We had nine 1.9 crawlers compete at our clubs last comp,and it was a blast! I would love to have other options(Axail,Associated) and I'm sure in the near future we will.
Cave Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:27 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Our club is running a 1.9 class and in no way was this a complaint. My brother and I drag race a blown and injected early hemi in a 72 honda civic bodied altered. Variety is the spice of life! Choice is good.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...ubj=1082499350

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...0&id=639928715

Last edited by crawlinghulls; 03-05-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:57 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Anthis View Post
Nicely stated RCMFMaxxMan. There WILL be other companies with 1.9 crawlers in the future We had nine 1.9 crawlers compete at our clubs last comp,and it was a blast! I would love to have other options(Axail,Associated) and I'm sure in the near future we will.
for sure! it is only a matter of time. As stated, rc4wd is working on a set of mini axles. But as far as big companies go, I could see axial bringing out an ax18, associated doing something (they've done the 4wd ifs minis for awhile now and they have always been competitive with losi), or maybe traxxas taking their first bite at the solid axle market with a mini crawler. Just a wild guess, but i'd say within a year it's likely we'll see another mini crawler from a big company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlinghulls View Post
Our club is running a 1.9 class and in no way was this a complaint. My brother and I drag race a blown and injected early hemi in a 72 honda civic bodied altered. Variety is the spice of life! Choice is good.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...ubj=1082499350

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...0&id=639928715
can't see those pictures (it says they aren't available or i don't have permission or something), but that sounds pretty amazing hahaha. you know, if another mini comes out i'm sure it will be the exact same axles (function wise) as the losi and same old tvp chassis and center tranny. I doubt the next one or two mini crawlers will be MOA or worm drive or anything unique. So getting a different brand of mini crawler alone isn't going to spice your life (haha i see it takes a lot more). look at the 2.2's and supers. They've tried just about everything crazy on those platforms. Take an mrc and try to apply one of those ideas. Or make your own mini axles! I saw someone make some micro poulsons and i know mike was thinking about making a production mini axle. You could do something cool with a mini lst diff or a rc18t diff. just some thoughts
Old 03-05-2009, 08:59 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

I think that associated might step into the crawler world. They just got their last projects done: the SC8 and SC10, both of which would be awesome. If they do something, its going to be really similar to Team Losi's 1/10 and 1/18 crawlers. Too bad duratrax had to go 1/14. Could have made a 1/10 or a 1/18, but 1/14? Oh well.... I like duratrax so much too :-(
tom tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:36 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

this should work! Blown and injected early hemi on Alcohol - 9.0's @150

Old 03-06-2009, 04:26 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

RC4WD has a Trex 44 Mini axle they make. It's billet aluminum and I think it's designed for 1.9 competition rigs.
MasterShake44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:31 PM   #15

I really hope some more people would jump on these smaller scales.

The engineering is much simpler, and that keeps alot of the costs down and their portability is excellent. You can make some decent obstacle course in the house, and when they are cheap enough, you can build 2 and have some family crawling.
legobrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 05:18 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Anthis View Post
i wish it was taking off on the warcrc comps, but until more companies step and make em, our comp commitee won't recognize a class that is monopolized by one company with no options at this point.
Rokpile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 03:59 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokpile View Post
i wish it was taking off on the warcrc comps, but until more companies step and make em, our comp commitee won't recognize a class that is monopolized by one company with no options at this point.
monopolized? I think that is a wrong use of that word. It's not Losi's fault that they were the first to try the smaller scale and succeeded in doing so. A monopoly has a very negative connotation and means that the market is controlled by one corporation and other corporations are restricted to enter the market due to barriers (financial, legal, etc.). No one is keeping other companies from entering the 1/18th scale rc market. By the way, it wouldn't even be considered a monopoly because other rc crawlers (even just other rc's) are competition to the losi mini crawler. If it is a bad rc, too expensive, bad support, etc. people will buy a different crawler or perhaps just a different rc. And to say there are no options for the mrc is also wrong. Losi has released some parts and many of the vendors have released option parts.

So if those two reasons are the true reasons why warcrc is not supporting a class for the mini crawlers, tell them to get a grip. Remember the TLT? Everyone was just thrilled to have a smaller axle and that the masher 2k tires just happened to be a great 2.2 tire that worked for crawling. It didn't matter that tamiya was the only choice or that you had to make/adapt all your parts. So Rokpile, you dish them this scoop. I think that is kind of pretentious of them to not recognize a class because they think it is "monopolized" or not supported with options. How many people in the club want to run 1.9? If the demand for the class is there, why are they being a-holes?
Old 03-19-2009, 10:55 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Thanks maxxman, a lot of good replies. You're making the losi sound like a better deal, mostly needing simple mods that are free or cheap. And a 2.4 radio too. And honestly if they had caught on more at my local comps by now I probably would have had one too
tim the toolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 06:33 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Axial has confirmed a 1/18th...
rbgerrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:10 AM   #20
RCC Addict

I saw a few poulson axles modded for mini class threads floating arround when the class first came out.
ctrwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote