Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Rogue's Miniclod Swap meet build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2009, 11:40 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Rogue's Miniclod Swap meet build

I was lucky enough to be the first to buy Grizzy4x4 Miniclod set up.

I first saw these at a going away party for Bender when he was moving to Cali to start working for Axial. At that time I don't believe Grizz had yet figured out how he was going to make the locker, but I knew then that when he got these made I would want a set.

Fast forward to last weekend and the Colorado Swap meet. I sold enough stuff right off the bat to be the first to buy a set from Grizz. Later in the day I picked up a used Reign Chaos widemouth comp chassis. By the time the day was done I had sold enough stuff to fund this entire build, less the servo and speed control. On Sunday I ran around to the local hobby shops and picked up the remaining pieces to start building.

I have to praise Grizz for all his had work and effort on these parts. The fit and finish is second to none. Everything fit perfect and was a very easy build. In one night I had a rolling chassis.

My parts list is not that far off from what Grizz used in his build. I believe that if you want to go MOA this has to be the most cost effective way. I also feel that this is a really great way to go especially if you run a Clod super as well. I my self have a Clod super, two Axial based scalers and a 2.2 comp Axial. For me this was the best part, I don't have to go out and buy spares for a new type of rig, I have it already!

My Parts and approximate costs.
Clod gear cases $15 for both
Gear sets $20 for both sets
Gear pins $7 both sets
Reign chassis $20 used (thanks Rodney!)
45t Integy motor $20 for one (had one extra)
9 tooth pinions $7 for both
Links $40 for 4 sets
Dig switches $5 for both
Jato rod ends $9 for a bag
Mamba Max (pulled from another rig)
Steering servo (pulled from another rig)
Dig servo (cheap hitec from a trade)
Bearing for axles Free (LHS could not find price so they gave them to me)
Shocks Extra set
Upper link mounts (made from Delrin)
TLT suspension mounts Extra from a super build

For the most part I follow what Grizz had done by looking at the pictures he had in his build thread. I did have to use different links in the rear, I could only find one set of the 5319 Traxxas links. I used the 5318 and Jato rod ends on both sides. I also used a different set up for my steering sevo. In his instructions he gives you a template. I had a servo mount from a super to use a standard size servo, when I went to 1/4 scale servos it was thrown into the part boxes and now has found a new home.

For the front C's and knuckles I used the ones from RC4WD with Axial CVDs.
Every thing fit perfect without issues .

In the rear I used RCP straight axle adapters, again everything fit perfect.

For lower links in the front I used Traxxas part #5319 with a Jato rod end on one end. In the rear I used Traxxas part # 5318 with Jato rod ends on both sides. Over all I right at 12.5 inches long.

Here you can see the upper link mount I made from 1/2 delrin.

For steering I used a Hitec 5995 servo. Grizz in his good instructions give you a template/measurement to make a servo mount. I had an extra mount and adapted it to my needs. I made a brace to help secure it. I drilled and tapped the upper link mount and bolted the servo mount to it.

For the drag link I bent a link that I had leftover from another kit and bent it to give me as much clearance that I could get. To connect it to the servo I used a couple Axial Offset rod ends.

For shock mounts I used a couple 1/8 scale buggy shock mounts.

Right now it has 3-1/4" of clearance at the skid. Might me a little tall, but need to test to see.
The axles have 1-3/8" at the lowest point.
For the overall with the axles are 7-3/4" from hex to hex.
My set up with Vanquish wheel is just a hair wider the Axial axles with stock Axial beadlocks with Panther Cougars.

Little different link locations then Grizz is using, but I'll see how this works out.

Couple poser shots

I really have to hand it to Grizz for the time and effort he put into these parts. Like I said the fit and finish is second to none. The way the axles/ lockers go together is really ingenious. For strength and reliability I can't see any much stronger then these axles.
New body to follow soon, waiting for the liquid mask to dry. I also hope to get it out and test a little before this weekends comp. I report back with what I have found.
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2009, 11:50 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Sweet! that looks a lot better than Goodall's

Or mine:-(
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:57 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

that is awsome man nice
badnuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:44 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Wow nice truck!
dave56bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:57 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I just got griz parts in today.. Can't wait to try these thinks out.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:29 AM   #6
RCC Addict

dang rouge, theres going to be a few of these rigs fast. your build looks great. my motors come today so ill be up an running before noon.have you had it out yet?
BILLYGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:42 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I was at the swat meet and Rogue is right, these parts are built very well the finish is great. It has made me consider building a 2.2 with my left over clod parts. Great job Grizz .
70duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:07 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Man...I am loving these builds. BTW what is the width of that chassis? I think we need a new MOA 2.2 section or a 2.2 clod section on RCcrawler. So Grizz when are you going to be excepting paypal??
clarkrw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:30 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Damn Todd, that was quick! I knew I should have bought a set at the swap meet. I'll have to see if I can still snag one.

Great build by the way! You Goat and Goodall are really gonna have to show us how it is done with these new setups.

Got any more spare clod parts? lol
O.C.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:09 AM   #10
Suck it up!

Nice build!

Whats with the glob of JB weld on the diff?
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:49 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjlittle View Post
Sweet! that looks a lot better than Goodall's
Or mine:-(
Thanks, I've been talking to Jeff a lot about this build. I'm really excited to see how well it does
Quote:
Originally Posted by badnuz View Post
that is awsome man nice
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave56bug View Post
Wow nice truck!
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn View Post
I just got griz parts in today.. Can't wait to try these thinks out.
You will be very happy with it. Every thing just goes together so well!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLYGOAT View Post
dang rouge, theres going to be a few of these rigs fast. your build looks great. my motors come today so ill be up an running before noon.have you had it out yet?
Yea I had mine in a roller state before you posted you build. On Tuesday it was operational. I have not tried it out yet on any rocks, but plan on doing a little testing here today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70duncan View Post
I was at the swat meet and Rogue is right, these parts are built very well the finish is great. It has made me consider building a 2.2 with my left over clod parts. Great job Grizz .
Grizz did a great job!
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkrw3 View Post
Man...I am loving these builds. BTW what is the width of that chassis? I think we need a new MOA 2.2 section or a 2.2 clod section on RCcrawler. So Grizz when are you going to be excepting paypal??
The chassis is right at 2-7/8" wide. Much wider then the chassis I made for my AX-10 which was 2-1/4. I think that with the clod axles you'll be forced to run a wider chassis to clear the motor. I would like to get it a little narrower, but will try it out like this first and see how it works out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc J33P View Post
Damn Todd, that was quick! I knew I should have bought a set at the swap meet. I'll have to see if I can still snag one.

Great build by the way! You Goat and Goodall are really gonna have to show us how it is done with these new setups.

Got any more spare clod parts? lol
Thanks! I'm really hopeful on how well it should work. The way the suspension moves is so much nicer then my shafty did.

Parts, what do you need? I might have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Nice build!

Whats with the glob of JB weld on the diff?
Thanks.
The JB weld is were I took off the some of the material were the screw to hold the cases together were. Those screws are really not needed so I cut them off. On one axle I made the case a little thin an to make sure that I have no issues with the case hitting the gears I put JB weld there. If I need too I'll get new cases, there cheap enough.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:51 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Had some time to test today and the rig is very capable! I will need to get used to using front and rear dig though!

I will need to do some tweaking to the suspension. It likes to carry the front wheel when one tire is climbing the other one floats for a while.

It is very predictable and very easy to drive. I didn't get much time in as I wanted too because I broke an Axial CVD again. I'm going to go back to the stock dog bones as I have now broken 2 of the pins in the CVDs in 2 days. One in the basement setting everything up and one today on the rocks. I can't say that the CVD's broke because of the miniclod set up as I've broken them in my AX-10 many times also.

On to some pictures from testing.

The next 4 pictures I drove into and out of this. I was pretty amazed at how it did it. I had to do it twice as the first time I didn't take pictures.

The rest are poser pictures. I broke the pin inside of the Axial CVD.

Here's two that I actually processed a little bit. All the rest of the pictures I took are straight from the camera.
One from photo bucket

Old 03-07-2009, 09:23 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

very sweet rig there .
1beatjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:44 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

nice build bro! I got my stuff yesterday and got started on it last night. Fit and finish is great as stated already. I too am gonna use a Reign chassis but its going to be a J2-TT. I should make some good headway on it this weekend. Rock on guys and Grizz. You are going to start a revolution and I am stoaked to be a part of it.
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:54 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Todd: Sweet.......can't wait to see it....
cato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 03:01 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigflex View Post
nice build bro! I got my stuff yesterday and got started on it last night. Fit and finish is great as stated already. I too am gonna use a Reign chassis but its going to be a J2-TT. I should make some good headway on it this weekend. Rock on guys and Grizz. You are going to start a revolution and I am stoaked to be a part of it.
Thanks. This is the first time I've used anything from Reign I'm really happy with there quality. I'm going to have to look into some of there scale chassis for my scalers! Post up some pictures when you get yours build.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cato View Post
Todd: Sweet.......can't wait to see it....
That cato, You'll see it in action tomorrow. Hopefully it'll bump into 6th agian
Old 03-07-2009, 03:07 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
Thanks. This is the first time I've used anything from Reign I'm really happy with there quality. I'm going to have to look into some of there scale chassis for my scalers! Post up some pictures when you get yours build.

That cato, You'll see it in action tomorrow. Hopefully it'll bump into 6th agian
...the prob is, you did that just fine with the other rig...
cato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:09 AM   #18
RCC Addict

GOT TO SEE THIS RIG RUN ON SUN. it looked great in person an was very capable. great work rouge
BILLYGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:58 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Yup, Todd seemed to have this one working well. I am definitely going this route now. Get to pay homage to the Clods and save some $.
O.C.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:15 AM   #20
PapaGriz Yo

The setup looked good Todd. I think more weight in the wheels like we talked about and it should work great. If not, a little lower ride height and you should be good to go.

I am really pleased with my setup and if not for a stupid driver error I would have had 6th place this weekend. Some better planning on course 1 and I would have been in the top 5.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote