Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

View Poll Results: Shaft vs. MOA
MOA beats all 46 17.97%
Shaft can win 130 50.78%
too many other variables to consider 80 31.25%
Voters: 256. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: can a shafty be competive against MOA?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2009, 04:40 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default can a shafty be competive against MOA?

Thoughts and opinions?

Given two drivers of equal ability, and an unlimited budget to build the best machine you can dream up, would a MOA vehicle always win over a shaft vehicle?
syber70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2009, 04:57 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Gotta go with the MOA. No torque roll, better weight distribution, and no driveshaft issues. With an unlimited budget and equal drivers, I can't see a shafty hanging in. But with all that said, I still don't own an MOA rig.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 05:23 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

x2 Microgoat
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 05:26 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Its not about the rig or the driver (if you want to talk equal skill). Its about the course. Some lines a shafty will get up, others the MOA will get up. While this will always be a debate i have seen it personally and could take you to a number of lines that an MOA will not make. I prefer MOA but everyone has there own oppinions.
Culetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 05:28 AM   #5
RCC Addict

well with equal drivers and budgets, the moa has a really good advantage but i could see a shaft driven rig still hanging in there and giving an moa a run for it's money. But with all other variables equal, the moa should prevail.
RCMFMaxxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 05:38 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Either truck can win at any given comp. Wasn't there a Pede trannied, driveshaft dig, BMV style shafty that finished high at Nationals?
jcnalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 06:24 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

So, what many of you are saying is...the winner will often be the one that spends the most money on a rig? I see lots of talk about unlimited budgets in this discussion. Of course, driver skill is 75% of the equation, but sounds like some rook with $1500 MOA rig could take on a pro with a shafty.

This factor is one of the reasons I have never explored surface RC competition, and probably never will.
ErichF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 06:32 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErichF View Post
So, what many of you are saying is...the winner will often be the one that spends the most money on a rig? I see lots of talk about unlimited budgets in this discussion. Of course, driver skill is 75% of the equation, but sounds like some rook with $1500 MOA rig could take on a pro with a shafty.

This factor is one of the reasons I have never explored surface RC competition, and probably never will.
i disagree with that statement. A pro with a cheap rig they know well can kill a rookie with a high dollar build. Its 99% driver skill. Some people drive one rig better than another. For instance i can put my MOA in places i cant put my tlt or my dads axial. But at the same time there are lines my dad makes with his axial that my MOA struggles up. You dont have to have a 3k dollar rig to win.
nj05nismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 06:36 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Yeah, long story short MOA is better then shafty. You can argue about it...but theres really no reason too. Drive whatever you want....but MOA is more capable. (show me a shafty with full variable digs that you can get from 2 ESCs on a MOA)

Can you buy a win, no...is $$$ gonna give you an advantage, obviously, name one type of competition that it wouldn't. Hockey you can get better skates and sticks, MMA you could get better training equipment and supplements, snowboarding you can have a better board. Are any of these things going to guarantee victory, no...but their gonna help.

The reality of it is that the whole reason we spend time and money on a hobby is because we find it fun, so does it really matter if your truck is the best or not, or if you win or lose. Not really.
Dynamic^Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 06:43 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj05nismo View Post
i disagree with that statement. A pro with a cheap rig they know well can kill a rookie with a high dollar build. Its 99% driver skill. Some people drive one rig better than another. For instance i can put my MOA in places i cant put my tlt or my dads axial. But at the same time there are lines my dad makes with his axial that my MOA struggles up. You dont have to have a 3k dollar rig to win.
It was a question, not a statement...

I'm just making an observation based on responses I see here. I don't have the experience in crawling to know one way or the other. What I give is the view of someone new to this and reading what others are saying...

Also, if it's 99% skill, then why are there so many different designs and upgrades out there? You're saying it's all for nothing? Certainly, truck design and performance accounts for more than 1% of the equation.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:55 AM   #11
Debunking old stereotypes

His figures of 99% are just a number thrown out there, and are opinion.
Still, I'll give you a 10k truck, and the National champ a $500 truck, and chances are the National champ is going to give you a whooping. Driver skill is still the much larger equation. It's no different then in flying. An experienced pilot with a cheap plane, is going to do better then the inexperienced pilot with the high $ plane.
It pretty much boils down to the One who builds the best rig he can, regardless of $, and learns to drive it well, can do just fine with it.
The bottom line is, practice practice practice.

Last edited by freetimecrawler; 03-07-2009 at 07:06 AM.
freetimecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 06:58 AM   #12
RCC Addict

A shafty will climb faces better and turn uphill better because it does not have clodstall.

A MOA can have a lower CG if both trucks are set up with high ground clearence.

I look forward to having a good shaft driven truck soon. I am 90% sure that the new Losi will be the end of me playing with MOA 2.2s.
renoirbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 06:58 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
It was a question, not a statement...

I'm just making an observation based on responses I see here. I don't have the experience in crawling to know one way or the other. What I give is the view of someone new to this and reading what others are saying...

Also, if it's 99% skill, then why are there so many different designs and upgrades out there? You're saying it's all for nothing? Certainly, truck design and performance accounts for more than 1% of the equation.
Upgrades improve reliability, make the rig more tunable, make it more predictable, etc. But they do not make the rig that much of a better crawler. Ive seen drivers with bone stock ax10's kill guys with high dollar rigs, so i dont beleive that spending tons of money on mods on your rig will give you an advantage. The tunability that you get by changing out your chassis is so that you can build a rig YOU can drive. Thats why there isnt one set geometry. Given there are mods that improve ground clearence, maybe a touch more traction, and improve approach angle, but if you learn to drive without those, then adding them doesnt really make your rig more capable, just allows you to change the way you drive. See what im sayin?
nj05nismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 06:58 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

there are several different circumstances where one is always better then the other
kasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:03 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetimecrawler View Post
An experienced pilot with a cheap plane, is going to do better then the inexperienced pilot with the high $ plane.
Yeah, agreed....I'm the perfect example there

I have one of the top three most expensive helicopters in the world (Caliber 90 - Kit cost $2800) and I still get beat out by guys flying a $700 plastic machine

I figgered the 99% figure was sensationalistic, so I thought I'd have some fun with it, sorry.

I actually am interested in Crawler competition. I appeal to the technical aspect of it over the racing/go-fast aspect of track running. This stuff is much more mentally stimulating that driving around in circles trying to cross a line first.

Good thread, BTW...
Old 03-07-2009, 07:04 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by renoirbud View Post
A shafty will climb faces better and turn uphill better because it does not have clodstall.
Would you mind explaining what "Clodstall" is?
Old 03-07-2009, 07:37 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Would you mind explaining what "Clodstall" is?
if you don't know, I hope you didn't vote

Showing results 1 to 25 of 248
Search took 0.19 seconds. Search: Keyword(s): whats clodstall
hairba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:37 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

IMO its the driver that makes a rig, Take the top five inthe nats, give them a shafty and they will still be the top five, and so the same as if they drove a moa, reason they are great drivers. they know thier rigs, granted having a well built rig helps but you must know your rig.
mudboger07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:49 AM   #19
R.I.P. Chip

In Colorado the top 5 at our comps is always a good mix of MOA and shafty, and on any day either one could pull off the win. I'd be willing to bet shaftys have won more here in the last year than MOA's.

Nats top 5 had MOA's, TLT's, and Axials, it was a good mix.

MOA is not the best for every situation and is not the end all be all of crawling.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:10 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairba11 View Post
if you don't know, I hope you didn't vote

Showing results 1 to 25 of 248
Search took 0.19 seconds. Search: Keyword(s): whats clodstall
Another worthless DOSer response. I don't have time to read through 248 returns, most of which have nothing to do with the question (mostly threads containing the word "whats"). If you can't answer a simple freakin question, don't bother.

Last edited by ErichF; 03-07-2009 at 08:16 AM.