Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: HR air shocks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2009, 10:20 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default HR air shocks

Hot Racing has these internal spring air shocks for the ax10 and such and I was wondering if anybody has checked them out. They look pretty cool for a scale comp truck but I can't tell how "proportional"(actually width and stuff) it is.
super mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2009, 11:54 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

doesn't really look like there is any room to limit extension either, If there is it would be a clean look for the people not running external springs.
Failedabortion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 02:48 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Wow! they would look good on my tuber So is the air just a name you think? Or are they really AIR shocks?
durango#95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 03:20 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I doubt they have anything to do with air. Since they have internal springs, they just look like 1:1 air shocks. If they were proportional to 1:1 air shocks than that would be great. The closest thing to that is rc4wd shocks though.
super mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 07:28 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

They're not real air shocks they run internal springs just like stock High Lift shocks do. Nothing astonishing really.
Tupers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:34 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

I was looking at those the other day and wondering how they've been fairing, they seem perfect for what I want.
spidr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:52 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

i just got a set of these the other day and have been running them, they are just a little shorter than my losi shocks which is fine by me but they really dont run oil in them the shafts on them are huge and when you open them up the shafts are hollow. i am not sure how they work without oil but they do and they work well i am super stoked on these shocks they are buttery smooth they come with all the mounting hardware plus they come with 3 sets of springs all for $23 a pair in all seriousness these are my new shocks just as smooth as my losi shocks but no oil i highly recommend these if you have your doubts..........i will post some pics of them mounted later............P III
ol dirty dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 04:30 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Any updates and pics on these shocks? how are they compared to High Lift Shocks?
Sasquatchbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:13 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

i have been running them on my xtrail set up, and actually won a comp this past week with them on. very smooth, comes with a couple sets of springs for tuning and I like them. they just plain look cool also. i dont think there is a comparison with the stock highlift shocks, these are way nicer.
ajcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:34 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Hey ajcould...your Scx10 Tahoe is awesome!
Do you have pics of your rig with the HR air shocks? I am really thinking of getting a set...where did you get yours and whats the best price?

Forgot to add...do these HR shocks have ball ends or are they like the stock High Lift shocks where you have to use fuel tubing or O-Rings?

Last edited by Sasquatchbagger; 04-07-2009 at 06:52 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:10 PM   #11

They use o-rings at both ends. Other than the lack of ball ends, I am happy with the performance of the 100mm versions that I am running on my AX10 with SWX chassis. The lack of external hardware also opened up the tire clearance and I gained a small amount of steering throw as well. They are very smooth, but even with the stiffest springs installed in the rears, the truck tends to sag in the travel a bit. This bothered me at first, but my clearance is still good at a hair over 2-1/2", and the performance is very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatchbagger View Post
Hey ajcould...your Scx10 Tahoe is awesome!
Do you have pics of your rig with the HR air shocks? I am really thinking of getting a set...where did you get yours and whats the best price?

Forgot to add...do these HR shocks have ball ends or are they like the stock High Lift shocks where you have to use fuel tubing or O-Rings?
Qfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:26 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I have sold a bunch of these to local crawlers here and they love them. They are pretty darn smooth
RPP Hobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:30 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupers View Post
They're not real air shocks they run internal springs just like stock High Lift shocks do. Nothing astonishing really.
Glorified Pogo sticks then, huh?
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:38 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

here are some pics of them on my comp rig i am not sure what you are using them on but they are super smooth i took a 3rd on sunday with them.............

hope this helps...............P III
ol dirty dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:38 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

I really like them. Mine are 100mm.

Mighty Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:04 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

I think they are called air shocks because instead of using shock oil to damp movement, they use air. This would explain how smooth they are and the fact that the shafts are hollow. That's my 2 cents.
tanmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:28 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJoe View Post
Glorified Pogo sticks then, huh?
they are nothing like Highlift shocks. i think the highlift shock floats on the spring sort of allowing it to bounce, the orings in these shocks dont let them bounce. they are silky smooth
ajcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 02:37 PM   #18

You're correct about this. The shock piston has a small groove in it which creates the damping effect as they compress and extend. Some of it has to do with friction from the piston inside the shock body and the o-ring as well. I imagine you could speed them up a bit by making the groove larger, but they seem to work very well just as they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanmonster View Post
I think they are called air shocks because instead of using shock oil to damp movement, they use air. This would explain how smooth they are and the fact that the shafts are hollow. That's my 2 cents.
Qfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 02:40 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the pics. They look nice. I imagine these won't work well in mud or water then? In comparing them to high lift shocks, do they compress more? Are the shocks thicker or thinner in diameter than the high lift ones?
Old 08-02-2015, 09:15 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: HR air shocks

looking into getting a set of these....Are you guys still happy with the shocks after 6 years?
dirtman71 is offline   Reply With Quote