Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Ground clearance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2009, 05:35 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Ground clearance

Im sure this all depends on course conditions, shock preference and the sort, however, I have to ask, is there a general rule of thumb in regards to the minimum ground clearance a 2.2 crawler should have? My current rig has a max clearance of 3.25" and minimum of 2.25. Front shocks are droop with 30wt oil (using wheelyking shocks) and rear are old rc10 gold shocks with springs and 30wt.
sgtsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2009, 12:35 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtsteve View Post
Im sure this all depends on course conditions, shock preference and the sort, however, I have to ask, is there a general rule of thumb in regards to the minimum ground clearance a 2.2 crawler should have? My current rig has a max clearance of 3.25" and minimum of 2.25. Front shocks are droop with 30wt oil (using wheelyking shocks) and rear are old rc10 gold shocks with springs and 30wt.
well for me i like running at 3 1/4 it works great for me. but i think it all depends on courses and how you drive. because here in hawaii everyone is running different ride heights and there doing great.i guess it all depends on your driving style
ryan48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:54 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I usually shoot for a bit less than 3" at ride height. It helps me with sidehills....
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:57 AM   #4
TN State Champ 11,12,13

I'm sitting at about 2 & 7/8". I like this height because it is not too high to cause roll overs and just high enough to help with break over.
Pdog7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:03 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Like you said there are so many variables including wheelbase. I build between 2 3/4 and 3 inch belly clearance on a sprung and may slightly less for droop. I've seen quite a few rigs, sprung and droop setup in that range.

As for a general rule of thumb I'd say your running in the genarally accepted ballpark
Mriswith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 06:00 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Thank you all for the replies. My first comp is this weekend and since Im broke I had fab my own chassis. It kinda looks like the swx, but mine looks like a cut up cutting board, well, it is a cut up cutting board. I plan on getting a chassis within the next month or two, kinda just want to see how it all goes this weekend.
sgtsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 06:45 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

It all depends on your driving style, the swx i have is sitting at 2" with the shock nearly all the way down, the dna sits at 2.5" half compressed. The mantis berg however is sitting at 3" fully compessed but thats a different story.
paintballer9876 is offline   Reply With Quote