Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Growing the Hobby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2009, 11:37 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Growing the Hobby

Two recent events have helped to elevate RC Crawling in the eyes of it's peers and the public. First, the Motorama event put crawling in front of thousands who hadn't ever seen such a thing and second, the most recent Midwest 2.2 at the HobbyTown Complex in Omaha brought crawling "mainstream" to the RC community. The event promoters for both events have earned my respect and I hope they have earned yours, as well.

Nobody should underestimate the value that both of these events have brought to the crawling community. From the public's perspective it is a hobby that is fairly easy to get into, reasonably cost effective compared to some other forms of RC and very "family friendly." From the industry's perspective it shows that crawling is a mainstream hobby that has mass appeal and currently appears to be the only segment of RC that is experiencing growth.

One of my observations, even with my limited crawling experience, is that crawling has something that racing has always dreamed it had; commercial corporate video potential. Could there be a day when someone like ESPN covers the Nats? I wouldn't be surprised at all to see it. Crawling plays well in video. The courses are relatively small and fairly easy to video, the runs are relatively short, the scoring is pretty straight forward for the public to understand and lastly, the characters involved have personalities that will draw in fans.

Having RCC coverage of these events is really important to the viral growth of crawling. Jason and Badger are to be commended for the investment in the time, money and resources necessary to make it happen. They are pioneering something that in a few years I believe we will all look back at and say "remember when..."

Along with the growth of the hobby there will be a continued influx of newbie's. I know that some reading this will probably groan at the fact that more and more noobs are going to be entering the hobby again this year. There are those who wish it would stay true to it's roots, less kits, RTR's, "instant gratification" and more hand-crafted rigs. Unfortunately, those days are probably gone.

Again, with my limited time in the crawling community, I have noticed that rigs appear to be getting better and courses are getting tougher as a result. The tires that are available now that were not available a couple years ago have exponentially made things better as well. Look around, the support mechanism in the form of aftermarket vendors is very impressive. All of this is pointing in the right direction for the growth of the hobby.

What do you think?

- David
dkingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2009, 11:40 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

IMO, "Toys" will never show up on ESPN. Even now, 1:1 rockcrawling gets a backseat on ESPN. If anything, I would consider a 7 minute segment on Xtreme4x4 the extent of media coverage.

Last edited by CronusTRD; 03-17-2009 at 11:42 AM.
CronusTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:55 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Well said.

I think those two events have been a big help. The vendors donating money and prizes. The guys who judged, promoted, donated there time and sacraficed lots of personal time.
Not taking anything away from your point on that, but there have been other events and promotions that have helped as well. Several people and vendors need to be thanked for there hardwork and tremendous effort to help promote and grow the hobby.

I really think that most of the guys doing this or racing, go to hang out and talk bull. RC is just the tool that got them there. Crawling allows alot more of that than racing. IMO

You have a point about putting Crawling on TV. Keeping up with the fast race cars is impossible. I have some video of a Reedy race and you can't figure anything out.

Without the newbie's, the companies doing RC products would have never thought about making parts. New customers is what drives any hobby, sport, TV and such. I personally like to see all the new idea's, and products from new and old vendors. I also like to see people being able to make a few extra bucks doing something they enjoy to do.

Good stuff David!
Racer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:12 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

From what I've seen just in the last couple of years, and from what I hear from everyone that picks up my tx and runs one of mine, this hobby/sport is only going to continue to grow. Events like this that really put it in the public eye can only better the situation. I use to mess around with faster 2wd r/c's and it just gets boring after a while. Speed with them is fun, but face it there really isn't alot of challenge to that in the long run. You can keep throwing money at them to make them faster and make them handle better, but in the long run it just gets boring to watch, and boring to do. With crawling there's alot more challenge to make a certain line, or be able to pick out the best line in a comp. Plus there are so many places you can go to find new challenges with them. Heck, just about anywhere that has anything to drive over.

Anyone who's been in r/c's knows the days of trying to drive an old r/c truck across different terrain only to have it get hung up on some little rock or twig. These crawlers go over anything.....what could be more fun than that?

In a way even though I know alot of folks probably wouldn't agree, but I think we also have to thank Axial for making it so easy for so many to get in the hobby. I know most don't want too many newbies around asking so many questions, but honestly that's how everyone can benifit in the hobby. It's intimidating to alot of people to try to build an r/c crawler, even some that have been into r/c's a long time. I didn't have a clue how to get started until I build my first AX10 kit, now I don't have a problem piecing things together left and right to build one. It's given tons of people a great way to get started on the hobby, and help it grow.

I doubt it'll be seen much on ESPN, because like someone mentioned even full scale wheelin doesn't get much coverage. I do see it getting a good spotlight in some form though because r/c crawling videos, even just trail ride videos, are 100x more fun to watch than any other type of r/c video out there.
MCSCOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:23 PM   #5
RCC Addict

in order for the hobby to grow more manufaturers need to take a front seat and put products out that drivers want. they also need to respect the oppinions of drivers good or bad and not try to sabotage them because they have a differing oppinion. they need to listen to problems and solve them. as for big events, they do alot to advance the hobby if they are run,planed and designed realisticly. putting up coarses no one can finish seems counter productive to me. im not complaining,just voicing my oppinion. i love this sport and try everyda to help (not hurt ) the advancement. and you are correct ,jason and badger really stepped it up . thanks guys
BILLYGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:44 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I too see the possibility of getting RC crawling on to ESPN is none to none. but perhaps a small segment of time on a show that has RC crawlers at their event. This sport IS growing and will continue to grow and newbs are a by product of every sport but fortunatly the learning curve for them is shorter and they are less likely to seriously hurt someone if the run into them.
My daughter and I have been crawling for years but only recently have started RC crawling as a way we can do more together. It is our experience through this hobby that we helped start the "Active Kids" program, through CORA-USA. It is specific at getting Kids (Handicapped as well) and their families into outdoor activities, specifically, RC crawling. Their has been a tremendous response in helping to support and provide items for "4" complete tube chassis crawlers that will be used for getting them interested in the hobby and will be available for clubs to use at other crawling events around the country. Set up a "Kids Crawl" at your event this summer and you could have the use of a few of them for some volunteers to let kids try them out for free. Enjoy for passion and serve your community too.
Our thread here shows our commitment to helping the sport, our communities, and the generosity of several vendors and RCC members. If you want to be apart of growing the sport, step up and help out.
Active Kids project started.
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:48 PM   #7
20K Club

The Midwest 2.2 Challenge has been great the past two years. Last year it was the first event for RCC to do a live broadcast of. This year Jason had the idea of doing the interview segments which I think were very cool and I hope to get to watch them soon.

Manufactures really need to learn to get the right people under their umbrella though. Losi is a great example of what TO do. They got some of the best guys together and put out one great little rig and are coming out with another that looks to have more potential than anything before. Axial deserves the largest pat on the back though. The AX-10 kit was huge, and the ARTR and RTR were huge hits to follow. Bringing Bender officially on-board increases their potential dramatically. Not a dig at you Dave because you were not involved with the design of the Rock Force but it is the biggest example lately of what NOT to do. It was designed overseas and shows how far lacking their knowledge of crawling is/was. With those same capabilities and financial backing the RF could have been a great crawler instead of an overpriced kit that is far lacking of what a customer should expect for the money.

Now that the manufactures are learning who they need to bring on board for design I would expect great products to continue to come out. The parts that Axial has put out especially since Brad has been on-board are truly worthy of being called comp crawler parts. Can you imagine the first full truck Brad has a hand in designing? I will be first in line with thousands behind me, just knowing that real crawlers developed these parts after years of real world knowledge taken from a data base of tens of thousands of members.

I am ready, and I can't wait.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:45 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I really liked the comp coverage it was nice to see i enjoy being in the spot light the interview questions were good but if the sport is looking to get reconised should be a little less goofing off dont get me wrong i enjoyed the whole event on line and everything else but if i was a company like toyota honda pepsi looking to throw some money into the rc sport it needs to respectful i see the crawling sport growing and everyone involved will only make it better.

Thanks rcc for the great comp coverage looking forward to more rcctv thanks guys
kasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 03:11 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Come April, the sport of remote control, and hopefully rock crawling, will get a huge public relations boost by way of the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach. Let's just hope their rock crawling exhibits are enough to draw attention away from the usual RC stuff. I can't wait to see what they have on display!

http://www.gplb.com/publications/pub...ORSPORTS.shtml

http://www.tamiyausa.com/articles/fe...article-id=390
Sydwaiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 03:26 PM   #10
RCC Addict

While i can't deny i would LIKE to see things like this on TV its a larger question than that.

Normal broadcast TV wont happen. It requires sponsors to buy commercial time to get it on the air. Look at 1/8 nitro buggy. This is the largest (by far) segment of the RC competition community. The drivers who competed in the worlds are sponsored down to their underwear, the rigs are very expensive, and they are without question the top 1% of drivers worldwide. Yet this massive segment with worldwide participation only warranted a 10 second clip on a show no one watches on ESPN2 in the middle of the night.

Radio control vehichles of any stripe are not big enough to warrant even live TV commercials. The vehichles are too technically advanced in some cases to get adults to spend money on them. I applaud Traxxas and Associated for getting involved with the CORR series and sponsoring trucks. More than any other form of racing this has the potential to open our ''toy'' world up to the rest of the population. The Slash and the SC10 are cheap, can be driven anywhere, and are almost indestructable. Still, neither of these will ever warrant the TV coverage.

But it is 2009 and Moores law is running wild. With the internet the way it is now TV is soon to be a thing of the past anyway. Downloading movies was only the beginning. Soon every ounce of TV you ever wanted to watch will be shown live on the internet. This is the avenue that crawling and other forms of rc should be looking into to grow the hobby. Its the rebirth of public access TV. I love what Jason and Badger do at the these events setting up live feeds. This is the future of all broadcasting so they are on the forefront of the idea. The possibilities are endless. You can put 15 fixed cameras out there, 3 per course, and let people click around or follow their friends or favorite drivers. You can have live commentators, Can you imagine some of these guys calling races live? It would be worth more than the price of admission.

The downside is the costs, bandwidth costs money as anyone who owns a site can tell you. It costs alot. Cameras, computers, remote access hookups all cost money. This is where our niche manufacturers should step in and sponsor and it still leaves room for the little guys to get some their money and their name up in front of the cameras. This is the best part about this cost, it gets you exposure. This is also within the budgetary contraints of the big manufactuers to really put on a show. For example; Pro-Line, Losi, Associated and Traxxas combined dont have the money that Toyota puts into advertising and Formula-1 development. But they dont have to in the internet world and thats the beauty of it.

Lets not jump on the ass end of old technology. Lets charge on with the new technology and the direction the world is going.
Culetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 03:31 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Thanks Mike,

You know the Jp Custom RC, Kamikaze Kustoms, Team Panther, Team Brood, Team *, 3M Racing, RCC, Zippy, Mayhem, Spectrum, Castle Creations, Deans, OCM/Berg/New Age, Hitec, crawler had a decent run today.................................
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 03:33 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
Thanks Mike,

You know the Jp Custom RC, Kamikaze Kustoms, Team Panther, Team Brood, Team *, 3M Racing, RCC, Zippy, Mayhem, Spectrum, Castle Creations, Deans, OCM/Berg/New Age, Hitec, crawler had a decent run today.................................
ROFL
Culetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:03 PM   #13
RCC Addict

If 3M only knew. I seriously think every can of that crap within a 12 mile radius was bought that day.

3M77 baby!
O.C.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:44 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydwaiz View Post
Come April, the sport of remote control, and hopefully rock crawling, will get a huge public relations boost by way of the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach. Let's just hope their rock crawling exhibits are enough to draw attention away from the usual RC stuff. I can't wait to see what they have on display!

http://www.gplb.com/publications/pub...ORSPORTS.shtml

http://www.tamiyausa.com/articles/fe...article-id=390
Kyosho and HPI are also going to be in attendance.

http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/news.php?article_id=153

- David
dkingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:34 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Great discussion guys...

Being involved in Motorama this year was incredible. To see lines of people from all different disciplines in motorsports watch and ask questions...it was impressive.

At one time there was a 1:1 Rock Crawling Team, some Nitro racers, Arena Cross riders and general public there all talking and asking questions about our event.

Next year, now that we see what we are working with, will be a better layout so more people can watch.

To everyone that has put on an event of this level, I applaud each of you...the dedication and planning was overwhelming. I needed to go into a detox chamber to come down off the high.

Scary part is I am already planning next year.
Rckcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote