Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Is it personal preference or just plain advantage?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2009, 06:52 PM   #1

Default Is it personal preference or just plain advantage?

I have saved up the money and am finally going to build a full out comp crawler. However, from most of the builds (especially this year), bergs seem to reign supreme. I have heard that once you go berg you don't go back and bergs are really smooth etc. At the same time, I really like shafty builds. They seem much simpler and more proven. My question is, if I built a shafty comp rig like an SWX, would I be at a disadvantage when crawling against bergs? I really want a crawler but I really don't want to waste my money on a rig that won't perform up to par. What are your opinions on common comp shafty builds (gatekeeper GC2, SWX) vs. bergs?

If I end up building a shafty it will probably be something like this:
http://rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146534

If I end up building a berg it will be something like this:
http://rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166914
Bennett1722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2009, 06:55 PM   #2
RCC Addict

You cant beat instant dig.

No shaft, no tranmission. Motor mounted directly on the axle.
DiEzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:12 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I'm a shafty supporter. I think that shaftys are very compatible with MOAs.

But....

Bergs axles are freaking strong. There are very durable. And the instant, trouble free dig is also a major plus.

I'd build a berg, but I have a need to prove that shaftys can't be written off.
crazy_kanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:27 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

shafty vrs moa the age old arguement....which is better........Its like chevy vrs ford ect...
I have both and havent won any comps with either....Heck I havent even ran my berg yet but If I were to start all over from the beginning id go moa....(berg). There advantages as well as disadvantage to each.
Till you get to possible part failure berg has less to fail... Cost has been said about equal also.... Look up(search) moa verses shafty there are several debates here... From there its up to you to decide...
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:32 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I cant exactly say that my berg is any better than the axial since i know the axial much better. The berg can side hill much better, but the free wheel ability i use alot on my axial which the berg doesnt have. I think it is personal preference, but thats just me.
paintballer9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:39 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Wait and get the new losi. It will be very competitive with the bergs and it will be shaft driven.
xjman349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:42 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Age old for sure...

Let me show you the basic math tho...

Axial Artr kit $250 ish, all prices are 'ish'
Dig and servo $100
Comp wheels and tires are needed for both so it squashes out..
Strengthened Drive shafts for Axial $60
Shocks need to be upgraded on the Axial $50
Lock outs $30
4 links mounts and battery/servo mount $45

Berg
$180 axles
$75 avg chassis
dig $19 servo and $6 switches
shocks $50
lockouts $25

In reality, to me, they cost about the same to build up a worthy rig
Ive owned both, and currently run the berg setup due to the simplicity and lack of moving parts to break..
Both can be capable rigs, given the right setups and driver.
downtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:48 PM   #8
MODERHATER™

I have beat the hell out of crawlers for awhile now, and my Bergs take the win for the best driving, reliable, most capable and downright simple rigs I have thrashed on, besides clods. That has to account for something!
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:54 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I have nothing "tech" of sorts to add to this, but I am going to say that I like shafties because first of all I think it looks better from the underside, and second because everyone says they aren't as good as an MOA!
Slowkrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:07 PM   #10
Debunking old stereotypes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowkrawl View Post
I have nothing "tech" of sorts to add to this, but I am going to say that I like shafties because first of all I think it looks better from the underside, and second because everyone says they aren't as good as an MOA!

If you're looking at the underside, you're either very short, or you're on your top side too often
freetimecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:11 PM   #11

Wow! Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I'm going to go for a berg. But, what is the deal with the new Losi crawler? Why will it compete with bergs better than other shaftys?
Old 03-19-2009, 08:20 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Just plain performance. If you own a shafty and run a dig in it, you know that the dig is for the most part not predictable in any rig. At some point with nearly every shafty, you push the dig switch and it may or may not work right when you need it. Mine has even kicked into freewheel and didn't shift into dig, causing me to completely lose any grip on what i was climbing. With Bergs with electric dig, you know for a fact unless you have poor wiring that when you push that button your dig is working. Also, with shafties there's the constant issue of torque twist that isn't there with MOA rigs.

I've said it time and time again, for something fun, that is scale or semi scale, go with a shafty. For anything you might want to compete with go Berg.

As for the Losi Mini competeing with Bergs.......I'm not sure where the idea of that came from other than the fact that they're smaller and might fit through gaps better or something. They're in the 1.9 class and Bergs are in 2.2.
MCSCOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:32 PM   #13

I don't think hes talking about the mini. I think Losi is coming out with a 2.2...
Old 03-19-2009, 08:35 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennett1722 View Post
I don't think hes talking about the mini. I think Losi is coming out with a 2.2...
Ahhhh, got ya now and you're right. I keep forgetting about the new Losi 2.2, because I would just imagine it'll be just another shafty as far as comps go. No one really knows yet how well those will compete on a regular basis.
MCSCOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:00 PM   #15

OMG! I just read the 35 page post on the losi 2.2 crawler. I think that is going to open the world of comp crawling to people with less money. This trumps the berg by truely offering out of the box comp preformance for 280 dollars... I have decided to get that and that way I can spend the rest of my budget on a pk4.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:20 PM   #16
RCC Addict

After watching some of the best drivers attack some of the nastiest courses, any truck can be competitive.

The Berg just makes it easier for those of us that suck

Last edited by Eritex Inc.; 03-19-2009 at 10:30 PM.
Eritex Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:27 PM   #17
THE Y-TOWN OG

with a good remote and a bad rig you still end up with a good remote.
i have spent alot of money my self trying to polish a turd, but in the end it was still a turd go with the berg and find a cheaper radio with a 3 position 3rd channel, even if it takes you a month longer to get it you will thank everyone that responded to your postwe have all been there because of the price but with your berg if you listen to all the tricks on this forum when building it you will have a rig that will last and save you the money you would be puting in to the other ones.
well i think thats all i have to say
dboy1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:34 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Gota throw my $.02 in here as well.
I am a decent driver, have a GOOD performing AX10, and at the last comp. I got 2nd place, right behind a BERG! :-P I don't like to admit it, but DAMN they just flat out work! I think the new Losi 2.2 will be a force to be reckoned with, but until you can buy it I think the Berg has it. (and I'm a shafty advocate)
durango#95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:47 AM   #19

Thanks again everyone. From the posts I have changed my mind again and I'm going..........BERG! For my first comp rig I think I would rather have something simpler hence the MOA. For a chassis maybe a KK 4.0? What do you guys think? Would that be the best KK chassis for a first comp crawler or is it just preference?
Old 03-20-2009, 10:57 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

everyone cover your ears, as I know this is gonna cause a riot..

But, I really think that we should have another class division for MOA rigs.

I count on getting responses from a lot, saying that's rediculous, but they're going to come from
  1. MOA drivers who like to have an upperhand
  2. Shafty drivers who want to prove they can take a MOA
syber70 is offline   Reply With Quote