Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: MLST transmission in a scaler problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2009, 03:19 PM   #1

Default MLST transmission in a scaler problems

I am putting a new bright 2 door wrangler body on my SCX 10. I have already built new links and shortened to wheelbase. I am now moving onto the driveline. The stock transmission is way to tall without hacking away at the interior which I don't want to do. I was planning on moving the transmission and motor up to the front of the truck and installing a makeshift transfer case in the center. The MLST transmission is perfect, it is plenty small and even looks scale. My problem it with the outputs.
The MLST uses cvd driveshafts and I want to use the stock slider shafts on the SCX10. I was planning on locking the diff with JB weld or something similiar but can't figure out what to do with the output. Anybody have any ideas? THe link to the exploded view is below. Transmission is one last page. Please give me some ideas, I am stumped.
http://www.modelflight.com.au/manual...loded_view.pdf
RC Mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2009, 03:27 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Frankly the MLST trans just won't hold up to that kind of use. Even an axial trans used for a T-case will have problems, the case really isn't up to all that torque, speaking nothing of the MLST tranny's tiny little plastic gears. The options I'd suggest either an RC4WD R2 trans, which is much shorter than the axial, and plenty strong. Simpler too, just having that in the middle without any trans farther up, or a purpose built T-case such as eritex makes.
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 03:58 PM   #3

I would love to go with a purpose built transfer case or the r2 but I am trying to keep this project as cheap as possible. So the r2 is an option but I would rather look into cheaper option that will work.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:40 PM   #4
RCC Addict

GD600. Use the Axial trans as a T-case.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:52 PM   #5

hmmm, never though about that. Good idea. Would a gd600 with a 35t motor and direct shaft into the axial trans be geared to high though?
Old 03-26-2009, 06:07 PM   #6
RCC Addict

With a 12t pinion and a 35 turn it'll still be pretty damn fast, but I think it'll crawl OK with the 1.9's on an SCX. The SCX is geared too low out of the box anyways. Besides, who wants a slow scaler?

Edit: I just did the math, you're looking at a 28.9 final drive ratio, which is a tad high, but not unmanageable. It's way too high for a 2.2 comp rig, but fine for a 1.9 scaler. Get a handwound 55t if you find yourself wanting more torque.

Last edited by chrisjlittle; 03-26-2009 at 06:20 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:52 PM   #7

OK thanx. I will try that setup then. Seems much simpler. Only one more question, might be a simple answer but without having the GD600 in hand I am not sure. How hard/what is involved in hooking a stampede/stock scx driveshaft up to the outshaft on the GD600? Would need to hook up this to transfer power to the transfer case.

Also how do most people mount these. Thanx chris, you have been a huge help.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:03 PM   #8
RCC Addict

just cross drill the shaft, it's pretty close to 5mm. So is the input of the axial trans.

As for mounting, I have no idea. I've only used one with a TXT trans.

Last edited by chrisjlittle; 03-26-2009 at 09:24 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:31 PM   #9

Ok, Thanx