Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: 2.2 Rock Racer build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2009, 12:32 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default 2.2 Rock Racer build

Ok well I couldn't make it to RCP this evening for FNF & I was looking at my parts inventory then my rigs then my parts, you get the idea.

So I decided that I needed a rock racer but can't find any rules for them so I am going by the 2.2 crawler rules, chime in if you guys have suggestions.

I am working on a few chassis ideas but nothing solid yet so if you guys have ideas let me know, I probably won't start working on the chassis until Sat evening or Sunday.

Here is what I have to start with:

tubed-n-lubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2009, 01:49 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Good collection of parts and off to a nice start.

Are you thinking about a tuber or a TVP style chassis?

Carl
quickster47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 01:55 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I will probably start with the axial 27T that I have but also have a 12T titan as well as 35T & 45T integy's. I am trying to decide between going TVP with a Losi MRC body or getting out the torch & doing another tuber.

The only thing that bugs me about the rules besides there not being any for racers is that a bodied vehicle has a height requirement of 3" while a bodiless (tuber) has a height requirement of 3 3/4"

I haven't decided yet, the tuber is a bunch of work again which would be fun & I have everything I need in stock. The TVP I would need to get a body.

I will get it all setup with temp TVP plates & see how it works. then see if the 3/4" will help or not, if not I think I will do a tube chassis, if the 3/4" would be an advantage in CG then I may go TVP.

I am waiting for parts for the Slash, I don't want to trash/bash the comp rig, the new jeep scaler still isn't scratched yet since I missed the last GTG so I need something to go play with. Actually I was sort of picturing a run what you brung King of the Hammers sort of race, long flats to open it up on with slower crawling areas in between. Maybe a timed race instead of points with loose gates as course markers.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:53 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Well after playing a bit I have a simple design, this is going to be function over form. Since it will be for higher speed than a crawler & obviously not able to run full droop I will place as much of the weight as possible low in the chassis or on the upper links so as to force the suspension to work/move. I am also going to make it as strong & as protected possible which is the reason for setting up the shocks inboard.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:28 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I figured that this was about the best way to do the upper link mounts & add strength at the same time.

I think that I need some type of bracing from the back of the shock hoops to either the roof or to the A pillars. There is the below pictures of a simple tube brace from the center of the shock mount to the roof tube that I could follow up with a diamond pattern in the roof structure to triangulate & support it.

Or I could do triangular gussets like the link mounts between the shock hoops & the a pillars.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:41 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

nice looking build
ah_5500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 01:15 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Thanks a bunch!

Well I threw on an rtr upper link on the rear just because I wanted to see it as a roller before I go to bed & the wife was going to bed so I needed to vacate the workshop.

I have a problem, the suspension design that I thought would work well has too much articulation!

Now it does not look too bad in the pictures below but keep in mind that it does not have weight in the wheels, there is no battery, there is no servo, there is no esc & the tube work is far from done. At 3 lbs 10 ozs it should not be sitting on all 4 tires when 1 tire is sitting 9 inches off of the ground.

I wanted it light & flexy for a rock racer but this is not good, I will have to do some redesigning tomorrow.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:37 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

nice build, what material did you use for the tube? how did you weld them?
wildthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 02:42 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildthing View Post
nice build, what material did you use for the tube? how did you weld them?
Thanks, it is 3/16 steel brake line & is brazed together with silver solder.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:56 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Very nice! What did you use to base off the geometry?
Mudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 03:18 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudman View Post
Very nice! What did you use to base off the geometry?
The lower link locations are AX10, the lower links I made for another rig & just recycled them for this rig. The skid is a STRC AX10 delrin skid.

The rest I just measured, used a suspension calculator & mocked up using 1/8" wire to get shock placement.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:19 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Ok I got the rest of the tube work done, found some stiffer springs, limited the shocks a bit & changed the shock oil.

Now I will clean up the chassis & prep for paint, then I will put it back together & run it for a bit & see if there are any changes that need to be made to the chassis before I paint it.

Old 03-31-2009, 04:02 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Well the only thing I didn't have in stock was servo mount blocks & aluminum upper link mounts so I am waiting for them.

I decided not to do my usual silver/blue color scheme & tried to match the anodized red of the shocks. I used white primer & shot the Krylon X metal finish over that, the X metal finish reminds me of a candy.

The rest of the goodies should arrive tomorrow so today I will make the required spacers & start assembly.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:01 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Need to move the shocks farther out to gain some roll resistance/control. Both on the axle and the chassis.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:36 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning View Post
Need to move the shocks farther out to gain some roll resistance/control. Both on the axle and the chassis.
True, I will see how it handles tomorrow & I may scrap this chassis & make a new one. We shall see.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:47 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

I figured I would show it before I ugly it all up with panels & electronics because when the final stuff gets here tomorrow I am sure that it won't be long before it is running & I have it outside & all scratched up.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:31 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Holy crap this thing if fun! I ran 2 packs through it & they are recharging now.

As I figured I trashed the paint, I guess I should have waited to do the roof panel before running it. Oh well.

It runs perfect, is quite stable & very predictable. Like driving a 4WD slash.

I will now finish the panels, shorten the battery leads & touch up the paint on the roof.

It comes in at 4 lbs 2 ozs total without any wheel weight & is a ball.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:14 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Nice work
CRAWLIN 4 FUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 03:44 PM   #19
RCC Addict

you are going to want to get all of your weight off the axles (the battery). It will take landings much better. Weight on the axles (unsprung weight) has nothing but the tires damping the weight. It will feel like driving a truck without shocks. The weight on the chassis has the benefit of the shocks. So if you can, get it all on the chassis. Otherwise, it looks like fun!
RCMFMaxxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 04:47 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Ok I have run a few more packs through it & I love it. I will order an FXR for it & will be 100% happy, the Axial esc that I had laying around is a pain in the butt.

Here is the video:

You will see why the roof got so chewed up so quickly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkbcHFvv_vI

And some pics of the roof & hood panels.