Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: i keep blowing axles!?!?!?!?!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2009, 01:35 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default i keep blowing axles!?!?!?!?!

welll guys like the title says i keep blowing up my axles. i have blown each axle about 3 times and im getting sick and tired of rebuilding them. there all stock locked tlt axles. i was wondering if there is anyway to toughen up the axles internals, or if i should just sell the tlt's and get some different axles? also i took my whole rig apart and i pulled out my motor and tried to tunr the output shafts on my locked pede tranny and i had to use both hads just to get it to barely move. i used this method to lock it http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showt...587#post275587 . i have no clue whats wrong with the tranny all i know is it shouldnt take both hands just to turn the output shafts. please help me -Wes
johndeerekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2009, 01:52 PM   #2
TEAM MODERATOR

I'm not sure selling out is the better idea. Lots of good TLT beef at RCP Crawlers.

Never really fooled with a pede tranny,other than swapping gears on my sons pede basher. Personally,I like the Axial tranny. The right upgrades and they are pretty dang stout trannies. I run a beefed up Axial tranny in my super class rig. The spur gears are my fuse as they bust pretty easy...but they are a cheap and easy fuse/fix. The rest of the tranny holds up very well. The weight of a super being pushed around by a 10t puller on 3 cells says allot IMHO.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 01:54 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Stock TLT's are weak beef them up.
hitman46mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 02:35 PM   #4
20K Club

Sell them or use them for a scaler. Even beefed up TLT's are weak. I have watched those R&P get shelled over and over. The TLT CVD's are weak as well.

Just get yourself a set of Axials. Even stock they are better than the TLT's.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 02:49 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I have a set of built TLT axles for 3 years and the only thing I have ever broke on them was a dog bone after it fell of a picnic table. But I also have the clocked "c"'s, cvd, high clearance knuckles, and the straight axle adapters. I locked them by just spinning one of the sun gears.

Now I do have a question on you pede trany, why didnt you just pack the center dif with epoxy? I did that the same tim I bought my TLT's and I have not taken that apart since. I dont know where the post on here is anymore but that where I say that done.
xzk7nr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 02:49 PM   #6
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post
Sell them or use them for a scaler. Even beefed up TLT's are weak. I have watched those R&P get shelled over and over. The TLT CVD's are weak as well.

Just get yourself a set of Axials. Even stock they are better than the TLT's.
^ I have to agree. ^

I run beefed up TLT's in my 2.2 comp rig and also in my son's 2.2 comp rig. They have held up well with Axial transmissions, Holmes brushless crawl masters (1000KV) and 3S Lipo but they are weak. I run a slipper clutch on both transmissions and keep the weight low on the bead locks. I have found that 13 ounce total weight (bead lock, tire, foam and stick on lead weight) is about all the CVD's can hold up to long term. It you get over a pound, the CVD's only last a few battery packs. Keep in my mind that these have RCP ring and pinions, RCP CVD's and RCP straight axles, full bearings, the ring and pinions are properly shimmed, etc. They hold up forever in a 1.9 scaler, but in a 2.2 comp rig, they just can't. The technology has passed them by. Add in all the new tires with soft compounds and tall size and they just further stress the lowly TLT. Axials are much stronger once you get a good locker. If you can wait, the Losi crawler should be excellent.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 03:56 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

okay well i was thinking of going with a axial tranny and looks like it might be the ticket. anyone know where i can get a good used axial tranny? and i only used the temporary lock on the tranny incase i had to switch gears from my stampede's tranny to the crawlers. and all of the internals for the axles are stock and weak and have been temporary locked also but thats how i got them. btw this is the rig this stuff is in-http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126642&page=1 its like a 10 pound 2.2 scale rig, shes all steel framed and with the cage and everything. also i mostly only go mud bogging with this truck so the axles take a big beating but i regularly oil and grease em up. i was thinking of getting 2 of these- http://www.tcscrawlers.com/RC4WD-Har...4-p-16583.html because this is the only gear thats breaking other tha the dog bones. -Wes
johndeerekid is offline   Reply With Quote