Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: going in water/mud?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2005, 01:26 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyofast
For the ESC you can stick it into a small tupaware container or a some sort of sealed box...but be sure it won't overheat. Best bet is to either mount it up as high as you can and make some lexan splash shields OR buy a waterproof ESC. There are several waterproof ESC's out there for under $60 US Dollars.

It's okay... you live on the butt of the world, being in Aussie-Land
What are good waterproof speed controls? It has to handle a Lathe motor and run 2 servos. Would this one be good?

A.I. Runner Reverse

A.I. Runner Plus

A.I. features:
Full forward, reverse, and brakes.
Smaller footprint: 25.6mm (about 1 inch) square!
Lightweight: 19.0g!

NO BUTTON, NO SETUP = NO PROBLEM!
  • LRP exclusive!
  • A.I. = Artificial Intelligence
  • No manual user setup required at all
  • Just plug in and drive
  • Speed control is perfectly set up every time!
WATERPROOF

The speed controls are 100% waterproof and can be operated under water with full power!

FAIL SAFE 100% PROTECTION
  • Digital interference protection circuitry
  • Great protection against interference, empty transmitter battery or model outside the radio range
  • Model stops instead of continuing uncontrolled
  • No more damaged model due to interference
Two A.I. models to choose from:

The A.I. Runner Reverse handles motors from 18-36 turns.

The A.I. Runner Plus handles motors from 15-36 turns.
808TLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2005, 01:45 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Yep... LRP waterproof ESC's are good. As are Mtroniks but be warned that the Mtroniks have had some glitchy ESC's, it's a luck of the draw, many ORCRC guys have had good luck with them(rbgerrish is one of them). Another fully waterproof ESC that myself and a few other ORCRC guys have used is the ProBoat ESC. I picked up my ProBoat ESC for $39 at the LHS. The ProBoat isn't the smoothest but with a lathe motor it works pretty good.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 03:46 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

my only rear concern is the servo. i wont be going in water deep enought to get to the reciver ill just ballon that to be safe. ill plasit dip the whole servo and cut where the horn goes
brendan h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 04:33 PM   #24
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan h
my only rear concern is the servo. i wont be going in water deep enought to get to the reciver ill just ballon that to be safe. ill plasit dip the whole servo and cut where the horn goes
Just remember, even if you aren't in water deep enough to reach the ESC, wheel-spin can fling water and mud up to the ESC. If you are not going to submerge the ESC but are going to run it in wet conditions, you should at least balloon or cover your electronics in some way, just for a little added insurance.
Mad Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 04:51 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Now, I hate to be a plug for the forum I admin at, but oh well....

http://www.ripper7racing.com/micros_.../tlt10_pg1.htm
http://www.ripper7racing.com/micros_...s/tlt1_pg6.htm

I've had experience waterproofing my E-Maxx, a Stadium truck, my Mini-T, my VMG, my Overland.

Now, I can tell you ahead of time, the absolute best way of waterproofing is two balloons.
-DONT use only one. the heat of the ESC or the shape of the esc can tear overtime, 2 is backup.
-If you notice that a tear will happen, take some hot glue and dab some on the sharp edges of ESCs(Heat Sinks)

Tupperwear works, but its really easy to not be fullproof. If your using a project box or tupperware I suggest doing all you need to, sealing it with glue, then... go ahead and plastic dip the entire box up 1 inch of the wires.

The only successful waterproofings I've had were with Balloons. Here are some pics of my VMG-

The only cars I plan on waterproofing this winter are my TLT-10 and if I ever get one, I'm going to convert a nylint into a submersable trail truck.

Some things to keep in mind-
-Use cheap electronics, dont run your NML ESC on your TLT when mudding

-Servos arent something to worry about unless they're on your axles. I prefer hot glue on the cracks and silicon in the gears.

- If your running in mud or dirty water, wrap your motor with a black plastic bag and put zip ties over it, wont be waterproof but will keep heat in and keep dirt out

- NEVER waterproof electronics when temperature is high. Only reason we get away with wrapping ESCs is because they can operate at 90 degrees, if it wasnt below freezing out, they would be alot higher than 90

-Snow is the best thing you can run your car in. Because of the phase of the water, you have time to brush the snow off before it can melt and cause damage

-WD-40 is your friend, hot glue is good, zip ties are great

This may be alot for some people. But i have extremely bad luck with electronics and water. I've had 7 electronics ignite on me. Including an EVX fire that permanently stained my room and almost lit my house on fire.

Becareful, and dont be lazy.
USATorque55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 05:24 PM   #26

iam gonna put this in my rig once i build it heres a link http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...%5Fid=270-1809
iam gonna put my reciever and crap in it

Last edited by Matt123; 10-09-2005 at 05:26 PM.
Matt123 is offline   Reply With Quote