RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   General Crawlers (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-crawlers/)
-   -   Transmission question (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-crawlers/170912-transmission-question.html)

MrCrash 04-02-2009 09:16 PM

Transmission question

I'm getting closer to finishing my crawler, and it's time to get a transmission. I know I want something durable, but I don't want to spend a large amount of cash for crap. It's basically come down to the RC4WD R2 HD or an Axial trans. I know parts are cheap and available for the Axial, but the R2 looks really beefy.I have no idea what kind of crazy motor may end up in this, but I'm trying to build the rest of it to handle anything I put in it.

Basically, is the R2 HD worth the extra cash over the Axial (in terms of gearing possible and durability), and would I see any benefit in using it instead of the Axial?

whalebone 04-02-2009 09:18 PM

Nick get the axial you will like it lol

MrCrash 04-02-2009 09:47 PM

I'm sure I would, but I just want to be absolutely sure I get what would be best for me. I don't know how many things I bought for this darn truck throughout the different builds that I never used, didn't work right, or just didn't work at all because I didn't do my research, and just jumped into it. I want to get it right the first time :)

legion1capone 04-02-2009 09:56 PM

I'd run the R2! :)

MrCrash 04-02-2009 09:58 PM

No dig for me. At least not now. I just want something simple and durable. It's a semi-scale crawler, and for my first real attempt (all others failed miserably), I want to keep it simple so I can enjoy it more, instead of fixing and tweaking constantly.

But thanks for the suggestion :) I'd definitely be interested in it for a comp rig later on.

freetimecrawler 04-02-2009 10:03 PM

I've run Axial trannys for 2 full seasons, 24+ comps with Zero issues, 1 season using the VF dig, an easy ad on if you wish later "thumbsup"

JRock 04-03-2009 12:08 AM

x2 on the axial trans. I have been running them since they came out. I have them in all my crawlers."thumbsup"

calikingcrawler 04-03-2009 12:27 AM

I would run the R2. Adds weight were you need it. geared great. last forever if not abused and has a built in Dig. go with a goat and brushless and you will have the wheel speed you need when you need that extra burp and teamed up with the R2 and it will climb anything (within reason)

MrCrash 04-03-2009 07:39 AM

Sounds like the Axial is the popular choice :)

whalebone 04-03-2009 07:47 AM

I told you Nick lol:shock:

PEDEcrawlerguy 04-03-2009 07:49 AM

the Axial trans is a good choice... as long as you upgrade the outputs...

MrCrash 04-03-2009 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whalebone (Post 1717053)
I told you Nick lol:shock:

lol, yeah. I shoulda just listened.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PEDEcrawlerguy (Post 1717056)
the Axial trans is a good choice... as long as you upgrade the outputs...

Are the original outputs weak, or is it just a good idea to replace them with something stronger?

MrCrash 04-03-2009 12:21 PM

Well, I just pulled the trigger on an Axial transmission from a SCX kit (included the slipper kit) for $40 shipped. I couldn't pass it up. I'd like to thank everyone for their input. We shall see if it's everything it's cracked up to be.

MCSCOTT 04-03-2009 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrCrash (Post 1717565)
Well, I just pulled the trigger on an Axial transmission from a SCX kit (included the slipper kit) for $40 shipped. I couldn't pass it up. I'd like to thank everyone for their input. We shall see if it's everything it's cracked up to be.

Good choice imo. I usually say run the R2, but from reading what all you are looking for in your case the Axial is the best bet. Right now I've run 2 for over a year bone stock without any issues at all. To mention motors they're both running on 7t Cobalts, and I have yet to even break the stock outputs. One has a slipper, and the other doesn't, and it hasn't change anything about how well they've held up under that Cobalt pressure.

whalebone 04-03-2009 09:14 PM

Good deal Nick and sould work great with 1.9 you got or 2.2's"thumbsup"