Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Transmission problem! Will the R2 work?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2009, 02:17 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Angry Transmission problem! Will the R2 work?

I built a custom axle MOA crawler using evader ST transmissions and wheelie king gear reductions. After finally getting it running I am finding out that the evader trans is not going to cut it. The first gear in the trans to strip was the idler. I got new ones in aluminum but know the diff gears strip. I can have the diff gears made from steel but am I wasting time and money or is the case going to be the next thing to give. The gears will cost me about $70 to have made. An R2 is $70 * 2 plus the drive cups to mate to my axles. The only other real choice I have is an R2 trans but can it handle the stress? Please help, I will be running the axles directly off of the R2 and not through a ring and pinion since it is MOA. Here are some pics of the truck to help.

STJ7780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2009, 02:40 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I would think a R2 would be plenty strong (no problems with a shafty/colbalt on 3s). Not sure about the dogbones.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:08 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Does any one out there know of another 2WD style trans that would be strong enough. I have thought about the axial trans with metal gears and the HPI E Firestorm trans. I know that HG used to make a metal diff gear for the B2 and that gear would work in the evader trans but they have been out of business for years. Are there any other metal diff gears that might fit.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:24 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I could be wrong, and not sure if it would work in your application, but I hear of people using stampede transmissions. Not sure how strong they are since I've never had one, but it may be something worth looking into. Maybe from a Nitro Stampede. It may or may not have the same gears as an EP Stampede...
BrentH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:58 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I am looking into the axial trans because I can get every part in metal, case, gears everything. Expensive though, about 80 per box and I need two. Oh well, nobody said this hobby was cheap.