Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Custom long driveshafts?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2009, 10:15 PM   #1

Default Custom long driveshafts?

I came across this guy that was selling a custom tube chassis some one had made on Pirate4x4 and I'm going to do a few things different to this one.
It's going to be geared for mostly high speed, and some crawling. Probably run a GOAT and a tall spur gear on a stock Axial trans, or reverse an R2 trans and have a 2 wheel drive rig for whoops and stuff (which won't make much sense anyway having the front axle spooled, but the thought is cool I think). I don't think you can gear an R2 high though, it's pretty much just use the gears it comes with.
Any way, what I am planning on doing is running the 5.5" Rock Krushers, at about a 14" wheel base on this weird tube chassis, I bought some solid and hollow tube from McMaster-Carr that I can machine on the lathe and make my own links, the only thing I cannot figure out how to piece together, is the extremely long driveshafts it will have. I don't even have the proper equipment to run splines down the male slipyoke shaft.

I've always ran Punisher's on the Axial axles and chassis, so I'd like to stay with similar strength because I always seem to bust the plastic ones.
I've done some research on this board under 'custom driveshafts', 'long driveshafts' and just 'drive shafts' and I didn't get the threads I was looking for, may be there is a tech thread for this kind of build? Just wanted to see if there was any one out there that has mastered building long driveshafts and has lasted through a lot of punishment.

If you want pictures of this chassis, let me know.
Thanks!
Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2009, 10:34 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

You can email our support team if you want us to custom make one for you.

We also released this really long one for another customer

http://rc4wdstore.com/product_info.php?products_id=1001
rc4wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:51 PM   #3

Holy crap that's perfect. I'll have to make measurements from output shaft to axle on both sides and give you the specs. I won't use any thing less than Punisher's. Do you charge per MM and materials? or is it a set custom length price?
Old 04-08-2009, 11:55 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Send us an email to rcrock(at)gmail.com with the max and min length you want first, then we can see what we can do.

Usually we charge around 40% extra to make custom length and it can take 4-5 weeks to get done. But this is case by case, maybe we have something similar length in what you want, maybe in 6mm or 7mm, we just need to drill a smaller hole on next patch. So email us first.
rc4wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:52 AM   #5

I'm definitely IN for the custom Punisher's for sure. And I will give you the length information when I am ready when I get to that point. But just out of curiosity if you are allowed to give the information out, what do you guys use to drop the male and female shafts in to create the splines? I've always been wondering. PM me if you need to.

Also, I had a problem mounting the original Punisher's for the stock Axial set up, the little nipple that is added onto the axle-C bumped into my Axial axle and therefore the set screw did not even reach the axle output shaft. I had to throw both shafts on my lathe to chop the little ring off at the end to get the set screw to tighten up to the yoke. Just wanted to let you know.