Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Rocks, where for art thou Rocks ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2009, 10:19 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Rocks, where for art thou Rocks ??

So yeah, this newb got me a crawler. It's cool and I feel my rig does pretty well but there is one problem....
...rocks. More accurately, finding proper ones.

I envy those that have loads of areas and natural good locals nearby. Sure I've got several spots I can go to but even in the little time that I have behind the wheel, I see a pattern developing.

There are good crawling rocks and there is everything else i.e. crap.

For example, there is an area by a river that has tons rocks along the banks. The ones up higher in the bank are very sharp edged and form near perfect natural stairs or ledges all over. Stairs are crap. Sharp everywhere causing continuous tire cavity jamming or dead end impassable pathing is also crap. Then there are the rounder large babyhead type rocks nearer the water. They are spread out like with 4-12 inches of sandy mud between each. They are crap too cause a) tires quickly clog with sandy mud and b)cause climbing single or, if your lucky, double stones is dull.

I fully see why there are so many posts on making artificial rocks and purposely build setup rock piles. Natural good climbing rock areas are very hard to come by.

For those that have them, I say count your blessings.
VeryBumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2009, 10:25 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

wth do you live? i have bring mine in by wheel barrow and i have 6 giant smooth flat slabs that are tough and 1 off camber climb
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:46 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Sorry, Arizona has all the good rock. And we're not letting anyone take it away from us.
joemomma95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryBumpy View Post
So yeah, this newb got me a crawler. It's cool and I feel my rig does pretty well but there is one problem....
...rocks. More accurately, finding proper ones.

I envy those that have loads of areas and natural good locals nearby. Sure I've got several spots I can go to but even in the little time that I have behind the wheel, I see a pattern developing.

There are good crawling rocks and there is everything else i.e. crap.

For example, there is an area by a river that has tons rocks along the banks. The ones up higher in the bank are very sharp edged and form near perfect natural stairs or ledges all over. Stairs are crap. Sharp everywhere causing continuous tire cavity jamming or dead end impassable pathing is also crap. Then there are the rounder large babyhead type rocks nearer the water. They are spread out like with 4-12 inches of sandy mud between each. They are crap too cause a) tires quickly clog with sandy mud and b)cause climbing single or, if your lucky, double stones is dull.

I fully see why there are so many posts on making artificial rocks and purposely build setup rock piles. Natural good climbing rock areas are very hard to come by.

For those that have them, I say count your blessings.
Try rearanging the natural rocks to build yourself a course, filling in some of the sandy spots and steps. Also, if you might be able to take a hammer and knock off some of the jagged points to make a passable line.
rjordann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 06:59 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemomma95 View Post
Sorry, Arizona has all the good rock. And we're not letting anyone take it away from us.

X2 LOL
Flagbmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:12 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

if you two are thinking that. than you have never been to moonrocks or prison hill in Nevada.
but AZ does have some gerat stuff.
jeepcreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:34 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

At first site I thought I was in rock heaven but after trying them out they are pure crap. Tons of cracks and holes for tires to get caught in. Sharp angles and points every where makes in near impossible to find more than a 2 rock line. Not to mention they are powdery and slippery.

VeryBumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:45 PM   #8
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

1. Rent u-haul pickup truck. 2. go to spot in your pictures at 2 am. 3. load rocks in truck. 4. go home and wash dust off rocks. 5. set up your rock course in backyard. 6. hope nobody saw you in step 3. Seriously, that looks like a good area, I already picked out a few lines i would try, maybe after some rain if they are that dirty.
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:08 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

^x2-
Attached Images

APESHAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:36 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcreep View Post
if you two are thinking that. than you have never been to moonrocks or prison hill in Nevada.
but AZ does have some gerat stuff.
yep reno are is preetty sick. comp the weekend after next!
madmax412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:42 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I called a local concrete company and asked If I could have some busted up pieces or left overs that had been poured out and dried. They said come and get all you want. (for FREE) I could make 10 trips in my truck and not even dwindle the 1ST pile. Looks like it's gonna a ROCKY summer!!
Seriously, lots of people throw away used or broken up concrete and it works great for obsticals and the rough bottom is great for traction.
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:52 PM   #12
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

Thats pretty much what my rock pile is. Called a guy on cragslist, he had 3 tons of busted up 'crete. He was glad I hauled it away free. Just have to "massage" some sharp edges and it works good, traction is awesome. Plus about 30 or so real rocks to liven things up.
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:22 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

damm Gunnar, you got a place to crawl? Hit me up, I'm down.
S/X Runner is offline   Reply With Quote