Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Value Losi Shocks VS Traxxas Big Bore Shocks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2009, 10:56 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Value Losi Shocks VS Traxxas Big Bore Shocks

I know most people like Losi Shocks. My question is are Losi Shocks so much better than the Traxxas Big Bore shocks that people are willing to pay close to the same price for 4 Losi shocks when they can get 8 Traxxas shocks? I admit I am new to this hobby and would just like some input into why the Losi are valued so much more than other shocks.
BMFOTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2009, 11:08 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

personally I dont like either because the dont use a ball end on both sides. both of them require you to cut a length of fuel tubing for the cap end.
theslowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:10 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Thats funny, i have never used fuel tubing on any of my losi shocks...
and i dont use the mounts they give you..
there are better ways to mount them...

i didnt you can buy 8 big bores for 44.95(thats the cost of 4 losi crawler shocks)
roksloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 03:35 AM   #4
RCC Addict

The Losi's are nice with the threaded shock bodies for adjustment and they are a little bit longer at full extension but in my experience they leak. I like both for different applications.
Culetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 03:41 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Location: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy

i have been running the traxxas plastic shocks for over 6 months with no problems. i have gotten shocks and losi springs from ebay for under $20.00. iv never tried the losi's... i have found what works for me
DeweyCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 05:23 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslowguy View Post
personally I dont like either because the dont use a ball end on both sides. both of them require you to cut a length of fuel tubing for the cap end.

What shocks do you like to use on your crawler?
Old 04-13-2009, 05:24 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by roksloski View Post
Thats funny, i have never used fuel tubing on any of my losi shocks...
and i dont use the mounts they give you..
there are better ways to mount them...

i didnt you can buy 8 big bores for 44.95(thats the cost of 4 losi crawler shocks)

What are some of the different ways you can mount Losi Shocks?
Old 04-13-2009, 05:26 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culetto View Post
The Losi's are nice with the threaded shock bodies for adjustment and they are a little bit longer at full extension but in my experience they leak. I like both for different applications.
What sort of applications are better for Losi Shocks?

What are better for the Traxxas Shocks?

Is there a different brand that you perfer over both or either of these shocks?

Just looking for more input on different shock options.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:28 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeweyCJ5 View Post
i have been running the traxxas plastic shocks for over 6 months with no problems. i have gotten shocks and losi springs from ebay for under $20.00. iv never tried the losi's... i have found what works for me
Right now what works for me (not very well:-() are the Axial stock shocks. They havent started leaking yet, but I am looking for a better shock option for my crawler.

I will have to give E-Bay a look and see what types of shocks are available from their website.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:22 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I have only ran the Big Bores so I cant say anything bad about the losi's but I wont be changing. I have not had one problem out of these shocks in the last few years I have been running them. Anyone that has felt of my truck knows how smooth the suspension is.
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:51 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I've run both in crawling as well as other forms of racing.

Losi's are good...but they are emulsion. So bleeding them and making sure they have the right oil in them all the time is important for a consistent feel. My problem was they seaped oil. Not a leak but the seapage would tend to cause me to want to rebuild them all the time to get the right feeling back. They do have threaded collars...which is way better.

I prefer Traxxas because they aren't as precise to build and seap less. Which means more consistency and less maintenance required. Losi springs fit perfect. Bladded shocks are easier to bleed and build consistently.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 07:47 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockcrawler View Post
I have only ran the Big Bores so I cant say anything bad about the losi's but I wont be changing. I have not had one problem out of these shocks in the last few years I have been running them. Anyone that has felt of my truck knows how smooth the suspension is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
I've run both in crawling as well as other forms of racing.

Losi's are good...but they are emulsion. So bleeding them and making sure they have the right oil in them all the time is important for a consistent feel. My problem was they seaped oil. Not a leak but the seapage would tend to cause me to want to rebuild them all the time to get the right feeling back. They do have threaded collars...which is way better.

I prefer Traxxas because they aren't as precise to build and seap less. Which means more consistency and less maintenance required. Losi springs fit perfect. Bladded shocks are easier to bleed and build consistently.
I agree with these guys
joesbruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:08 AM   #13
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I really don't care for the Traxxas shocks because I have pull the E clip out of the end of the shock that holds the shaft seal in the end of the shock body. I have had this happen 6 or 7 times. I had the shock internally limited with fuel tubing and it still did the same thing. I have never had any real trouble from my Losi shocks,but a little shock oil leaking out of the seals from time to time. I do wish that the Losi shocks had balls on both ends. I will keep using my Losi shocks with the flanged balls from the Berg kit and a O-ring on each side till something better comes along. The truck is super smooth like that and works great.
chip cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:26 AM   #14

I've never had a problem with the big bores. Even when beating the heck out of the copperhead. I love them and they don't leak.
RXcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:39 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeweyCJ5 View Post
I ran the Traxxas XXLong plastic shocks for over a year without problem.

I rebuilt my trucks and went to the Losi shocks and they have a slow leak like others have mentioned.

I will probably try the Big Bores soon.
TLTRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:06 AM   #16
RCC Addict

I've been running the big bores on every rig I've built for the last couple years & love em
Crawln Coles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:12 AM   #17
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

I run both Traxxas Big Bores and Losi crawler shocks. It really comes down to personal preference. I have never had any problems with my Traxxas Big Bores and parts for them are readily available anywhere. Parts for the Losi's are not. IMO both require the mod for the Traxxas rod end, but again that comes down to personal preferrence. The only reason I have the Losi shocks is because I bought them used for $30 shipped because I would never pay full price for them. As it has already been stated, you can buy 8 Traxxas Big Bores for the price of 4 Losi's.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:30 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Love my big bores. I threw some aluminum caps on and no more leaks.
Cheap and easy.
JamisonWorkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:23 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Default Traxxas Big Bore Mod?

What is the Traxxas Big Bore modification? From what I gather it is some sort of modification to the ball end of the shock. Could someone please give me a better explanation or a hyperlink to the modification?

Are the Traxxas Big Bore the best Traxxas shocks for the Axial?

Thanks everyone for your input.