Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: semi droop help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2009, 08:22 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default semi droop help

I have a axail GC-2 with traxxas shocks that i want to raise slightly and want more articulation so i got some stock axial shocks. I dont want to raise it up to much so i am thinking about doing a semi droop. I read alot about droops. DOnt want to do that. But what is the advantage of a semi droop to a sprung or a droop. Whats a good set up for a semi droop that will keep me shaft half in and out but still be soft and able to move easily.
d-fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2009, 08:47 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

is semi drop just one spring inside on top of shaft? Why is that better then having a shock on the out side?
d-fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 01:43 AM   #3
RCC Addict

A semi droop setup can be either a spring under the piston inside the shock or a shorter spring on the outside of the shock.

Usually you run a droop setup to keep the Center Of Gravity down, Usually on Tubers but also on TVP chassis. While a Sprung setup is just used with chassis that are setup to run a certain Shock/Spring setup that still keeps the COG low.

I am no xpert but I ran the stock axial shocks with about an 1 1/2" limiter inside the shock under the piston (fuel tubing) and used T-Maxx red springs on the outside. These springs are around a half an inch shorter then the stock springs. So this allowed the chassis to sit a little lower. I think I would have been better off with maybe a 3/4" limiiter inside the shock though.
Xtant3150c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 12:41 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

I run the stock ax10 shocks with springs off associated shocks for a t-maxx, they are the same lenth but a little softer than the red t-maxx springs. I also added a pen spring inside each shock and a 6mm spacer outside each shock. My shock mounting adds about 1/4 to the ride height and my belly clearance sits at 2 1/4. I have about 1/4-3/8 of compression travel and the rest is droop. I am really happy with this setup but I have never run full droop.
am4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 01:16 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I dont know if what i run is actually semi droop or not but from what you said above it sounds like the same thing. I am running the rc4wd scale shocks on my bastard jr and I have a single spring from a retractable sharpie thats cut in half with one side of the spring on either side of the shock piston and its working pretty well for me so far. the shock sits at the half way position when on flat ground and when it flexes this set up allows one shock to extend and the other to compress equally. I did this setup primarily to lower the CG and its working great.
Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 04:37 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
I dont know if what i run is actually semi droop or not but from what you said above it sounds like the same thing. I am running the rc4wd scale shocks on my bastard jr and I have a single spring from a retractable sharpie thats cut in half with one side of the spring on either side of the shock piston and its working pretty well for me so far. the shock sits at the half way position when on flat ground and when it flexes this set up allows one shock to extend and the other to compress equally. I did this setup primarily to lower the CG and its working great.

yup thats semi droop and thats exactly how you set it up, depedning on where u cut the srping will change ride height and % of droop, so with 50/50, 70/30, and so on etc etc
ultimate_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 02:02 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

guys on doing droop, do u still need the shock oil or just sprung? im n the middle of replacing the stock shock with rcbros shock. im trying to experiment on droop.

no wwhat im doing is, i put a spring from a rectractable pen under the piston and use the silver spring that came with the rcbros shock outside.

thanks!
ugly_giddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 02:37 PM   #8
no talent hack

without shock oil it will be bouncy.
Nabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 02:55 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

from my experience you still need shock oil. i am running "semi droop" i have a spring under the piston and on top of the pistion. i used springs from my local hardware store, they had various rates and lengths that fit inside my shock body. all four lower springs are the same but the uppers vary from front to rear to combat torque twist. using a spring outside the shock would have accomplished the same thing and probably been easier, i just wanted the look of an air shock.
elbo is offline   Reply With Quote