Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Chassis Favorites

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2009, 03:54 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Question Chassis Favorites

Hey everyone! My name is Jake and I'm one of those newbies out there trying to gather information for my first build. Thought I would start this thread and see if people could give me there favorite chassis currently on the market and why. Plus if you have any pointers to share with a noob, I would appreciate it. This site has helped me out a bunch on what direction I want to go. Thanks!
BlueRhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2009, 04:03 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

The CDW, GC-2 are great platforms for a compititive chassis. If your into tubers, the Bastard jr, and the R2J Kustoms V2.2 are very well made and on the compititive level. If your looking to just have fun and bash, you can have the realizm of a tuber or go plate style chassis and slap on a Jeep body (or other) and feel like your out in Moab just like the big dogs.
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 04:37 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakker View Post
The CDW, GC-2 are great platforms for a compititive chassis. If your into tubers, the Bastard jr, and the R2J Kustoms V2.2 are very well made and on the compititive level. If your looking to just have fun and bash, you can have the realizm of a tuber or go plate style chassis and slap on a Jeep body (or other) and feel like your out in Moab just like the big dogs.
Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking about getting serious and building a comp crawler, probably a 2.2 scale.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:57 PM   #4
RCC Addict

i just got a black jack chassis, my first aftermarket chassis, i really like it and it has a very low profile
rocksteadily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 05:12 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I would suggest the Gatekeeper GC2. It is very newbie friendly to put together and It performs awesome without much tweaking and tuning at all.
Its what I run in 2.2 and 1.9
dirtyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 05:14 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

you gonna build a MOA or shafty?

I'm really liking my Fubar Skeeter..it's a full delrin chassis.

the Rockshow is pretty sweet.
man there are a bunch of nice ones out....and the Harley "ARC" looks cool..but is not on the market yet....
53 willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:20 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Well I picked me up a Rook chassis made by Reign RC. Looks to be a nice design and will have very little hangup. However I think my new lightweight bully MOA's will compliment the chassis very nicely. (Thats if they ever ship...) Anyway thanks again for your recomendations.

How about wheels, tires, motors, suspension, lipo's, etc.? Any pointers from these topics?
Old 12-18-2009, 08:24 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

A chassis for what RC??
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:28 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
A chassis for what RC??
I'm not sure if I understand what your asking Jeremy???
Old 12-18-2009, 08:31 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

What are you planning on swapping the chassis into? Do you currently have an AX10, Losi, Bully, Berg, etc????
Old 12-18-2009, 08:35 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
What are you planning on swapping the chassis into? Do you currently have an AX10, Losi, Bully, Berg, etc????
Oh sorry for the confusion. I was intentionally going to start my build back in April, however other plans came up. Anyways, so I purchased the Rook chassis made by Reign RC. To go along with a set of lightweight bully axles. This whole setup is new and will start from the ground up. Does that answer your question?
Old 12-18-2009, 08:43 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Oh,....haha. Sorry, I didnt read down that far in the thread.....I just read the first few posts. Sorry for causing the confusion. I also didnt realize that this thread was that old.

I think you are gonna like that chassis and axle combo. Just Zach recently built up the same combo. You might check out the Bully forum for his build thread.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:49 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Oh,....haha. Sorry, I didnt read down that far in the thread.....I just read the first few posts. Sorry for causing the confusion. I also didnt realize that this thread was that old.

I think you are gonna like that chassis and axle combo. Just Zach recently built up the same combo. You might check out the Bully forum for his build thread.
No worries. It's going to be sweet to see what it can do for me. I've read some of Just Zach's thread. Seems like he is loving it too. Wish my axles were here so I could actually start building the damn thing. Oh well, what do you do? Hopefully I didn't make a mistake on getting the lightweights axles for the front. I guess I can add weight later if I need to.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:51 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I would run something like...
regin rook chassis
Billet bully axles
hs7950 steering servo
x2 holmes hobby XL-BR esc's
Mayhem UCW's
Banzai 45t motors
1/4"ss lower links
alum uppers
bag of revo rod ends
4pk TX and RX
Rovers, Panther leopards or RC4WD-xlocks

if you dont want to spend the extra cash on a 4pk then get.
1 homles esc
and a punk dig
and DX3R TX and RX

so that's one of 1,000 different ways to build rig up.......

having the light front will allow you to add and remove weight as you see fit....it's harder to take weight off a cast front then it is to add a little to a billet front inmho.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:59 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRhino View Post
Hopefully I didn't make a mistake on getting the lightweights axles for the front. I guess I can add weight later if I need to.
I dont think you did! I run a full set of LW cases for the rear and run the light center case and upper link mount in the front. It's a great weight distribution without putting extra strain on the axle shafts.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:25 AM   #16
RCC Addict

East End Machining SNG chassis my vote. For one it performs outstandingly and two you dont see it on every rig out there, so you actually have some variety when your comping.
slowngreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:27 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowngreen View Post
East End Machining SNG chassis my vote. For one it performs outstandingly and two you dont see it on every rig out there, so you actually have some variety when your comping.
VV good suggestion...but he already has a reign rook comp MOA chassis... VV

Quote:
Well I picked me up a Rook chassis made by Reign RC. Looks to be a nice design and will have very little hangup. However I think my new lightweight bully MOA's will compliment the chassis very nicely. (Thats if they ever ship...) Anyway thanks again for your recomendations.

How about wheels, tires, motors, suspension, lipo's, etc.? Any pointers from these topics?
Old 12-18-2009, 09:47 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Pays to read all the posts I guess, lol.
slowngreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:58 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53 willys View Post
I would run something like...
regin rook chassis
Billet bully axles
hs7950 steering servo
x2 holmes hobby XL-BR esc's
Mayhem UCW's
Banzai 45t motors
1/4"ss lower links
alum uppers
bag of revo rod ends
4pk TX and RX
Rovers, Panther leopards or RC4WD-xlocks

if you dont want to spend the extra cash on a 4pk then get.
1 homles esc
and a punk dig
and DX3R TX and RX

so that's one of 1,000 different ways to build rig up.......

having the light front will allow you to add and remove weight as you see fit....it's harder to take weight off a cast front then it is to add a little to a billet front inmho.
Oh Mark, you know your my mentor on this 2.2 build. Mostly what I buy is because of your advice. When I get my axles, did you still want to help me out with my links???

I'm thinking about going the 4pk route. Yah its a little more moola, but I would save it in the long run if decided I wanted it later on.

Your exactly right on the whole axle weight issue. Except now I'm kinda stuck with going to 1" wheel in order to add what I need.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:18 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Except now I'm kinda stuck with going to 1" wheel in order to add what I need.
You arent stuck with a certain wheel. I run Wheel Works 2110's....Berg offset in the rear, Axial offset in the front. You can add whatever weight you want.