Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: OK to triangulat differently @ each end?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2009, 10:30 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default OK to triangulat differently @ each end?

I am setting up an Edge tuber / Axial axles and R2d.

I have some hardware I can use to triangulate both ends.

The problem I have is that one end will be a tighter triangle than the other due to the combination of spacers and bolts that I have.

Which end would benefit more from a tighter triangle? Does it even matter how tight the triangle is?

I'm running droop shocks if it matters.

Thanks!
mascman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2009, 08:52 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

I think... well thats kinda weird IMO. Then again I like things that are equal length and such. But, give it a try and let us know! Im curious to hear the results, maybe your on to something.
Ripperfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 09:22 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

i'm running my tigress with 1" longer links in the front plus there double triangle at both ends....she climbs like an animal...............bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 06:03 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

I am running an R2d, on a homemade tranny plate. To get the trans where I wanted it, the mounting bolts where right above the front links so i had the tranny plate material in the way.

I have gone ahead and moved the trans back so I sould cut away that material...better yet, I'll make a new plate like the triangulated ones everyone is selling and then it will be equal.
mascman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:37 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

I have ran a couple rigs that way and it doesn't seem to give me any problems. I usually have longer links in the rear so the front triangle ends up pretty tight but it works fine.
nascarkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:52 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Since this has been brought up....I have noticed that most are running the top links that are on the inside of the axle outward and running the lower links either parallel to each other or Triangulated inward.

My question is: Can this be reversed? Can I run the upper links from the outside of the axle toward the center and run the lower links from the center of the axle toward the outside? I am thinking that there might just be a hindered physics related reason for not going this route....

JB

Last edited by CruiserHead; 05-02-2009 at 03:25 PM.
CruiserHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 05:26 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

i have dbl triangulated 4 link linked many 1:1 rigs and my rc and never ever ever ever ever have i seen them set up like , so i'm sure there is a very legirimate reason for it, but other then it would be alot more work to make brakets etc i dont know why u couldnt
ultimate_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 03:28 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I have a homemade frame and brackets are not a problem at all. I am starting with a clean slate so-to-speak. I was hoping for a definite answer but thanks for your input for sure. I will probably move on to something else until I can figure this out. Like you said, must be a reason for not doing it. Companies would have made them both ways if it was Kosher? Yikes!

JB
CruiserHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 04:31 PM   #9

I don't see why the front and rear ends can't be triangulated differently. Most 1:1 vehicles have different suspension geometries between the front and rear; actually, I can't think of any 1:1 with identical front and rear geometries.

As for triangulating "backwards," there's also no reason to not do so. I have a Killer Krawler and it's top links are triangulated "backwards" while the lower links are almost parallel with each other and it articulates just fine. Here's a picture showing the "backwards" triangulation (it was taken for size comparison, so it's not ideal for showing the triangulation)...

winter is offline   Reply With Quote