Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: HR axle BTA or ATA steering

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2009, 12:03 AM   #1

Default HR axle BTA or ATA steering

I have my new moa rig up and crawling but I hate the servo and steering setup. I have already laid down the servo and tried to make my own above the axle steering rods with all thread but even though I can get all the bends right by the time its bent up and fits then it has to much play or slop. So does anyone know of a link that sells them or can make them? I can find them for berg axles but not HR. That's all I need and this thing will be amazing.
redrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2009, 12:21 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrocks View Post
I have my new moa rig up and crawling but I hate the servo and steering setup. I have already laid down the servo and tried to make my own above the axle steering rods with all thread but even though I can get all the bends right by the time its bent up and fits then it has to much play or slop. So does anyone know of a link that sells them or can make them? I can find them for berg axles but not HR. That's all I need and this thing will be amazing.
Well I think Kamaikazee's high clearance tie rod will work.Also you may check with Yotachump and see if he has something that will work out for you build..
Jeepial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:07 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

ckrc sells one that fits berg or hr axles. I just order that setup a few days ago. Hope it helps
dbledeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:39 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

The stock set-up isn't to bad. Granted the servo and linkages are in front of the axle, but there is room for improvement, even keeping that stock location. As I found on my HR axles, I couldn't even fit a servo into the mount, without the servo hitting the darn 3 link mount. It would have worked without the spacer HR includes, but then the links would not centered. One of those D'oh mistakes. They had everything fitting and working out well, when they released the upper links were actually offset. To correct it, the spacer was machined, but with the spacer, the mount hits the side of the servo case.

I ditched the stock upper mount and 4 link the axles. I also clocked the CKRC link mount backwards and away from the servo mount to give me more clearance. I just had to drill a couple new holes. One in each axle. The end result was a better way of doing things.

My linkages turned out pretty well. I run Traxxas rod ends with some Axial links, and a couple spacers to fine tune the length of the linkages. The links are mounted to the high side of the C-hubs for more clearance. The links are also pretty darn parallel and straight, which translates to decent steering throw, and allows the servo's travel and torque to be better transmitted to the links. The angles don't get all funky and make for a non-linear steering throw.

I know it's still not a BTA set-up, but it's pretty darn good. The biggest problem with trying to fit a BTA set-up to these axles is there just isn't that much room. Laying the servo down is possible, but the motor and suspension mounts get in the way, as well as shock shafts, and 4 links. Not that it can't be done. It just requires a lot of thought. Iron out the bugs of the stock set-up, and it'll work pretty darn good.

Espeefan is offline   Reply With Quote