Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: How do you practice?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2009, 12:43 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default How do you practice?

i just have a lil rockpile that i put like 3-4 gates on.

but like, what should i practice DOING?

what do you allto to "improve" your driving skillz.
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2009, 12:46 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Try different lines to see how your vehicle reacts. Try everything else before you reverse unless you know it can't make it. Setup gates that are hard to get to and harder to get through...

Sure everyone else has more to add than me.
Failedabortion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:55 PM   #3
R.I.P. Chip

Practicing by yourself is not always the best. Find the best driver you can and follow them around. That will improve your driving more that anything.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:59 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

that'd be rubbaneck.

we will have to see how excited he is to have me follow him around...

but thats a real good point, thanks jason
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 01:00 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I agree drive with as many people possible and as many different places as possible.
cfox109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 01:03 PM   #6
Web Wheeling

After a comp, go back to the lines that kicked your ass. Run those lines over and over again. Some lines we have used, I still struggle with due to my truck setup. The top drivers really know how to tune their rigs.
Etype R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 01:07 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Practiceing on similar "grounds) is key also... In our area there is 1 comp are and no ther "grounds "like it...I mean practice on surfaces similar to the comp surfaces....
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 01:31 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I like to practice at performing the impossible. In other words, I try to make things as difficult as possible, and I let n00bs set up gates.
helhedded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 01:38 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I practice by setting up 12" gates for 2.2 and try to make it technical and do 10 gates in 5min.
sddill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 01:50 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

if u get infected like some of us u see lines all over the place:-P and try to crawl things you should'nt. i like areas with huge holes and part breaking opportunities that i know i won't see at a comp. maybe your rig will amaze you

Last edited by the kil; 05-14-2009 at 01:54 PM.
the kil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:20 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

i dont do alot of practice per say, but when i was competative, id whatch what the truck was doing on the rocks, lack of traction or weight placement are the things im always looking at, weight location and dispersement is a huge part of crawling and if you know what kind off weight your tires are seeing then you can get a good idea of how its going to react in situation.

once your rig sits flat like a peice of paper and will do a good break over i take it and compare with others how it performs in diffrent situations. usually i'll whatch how one truck reacts compaired to others and take what i can and and learn why it does it and how i can get mine to do the same.

also experimenting is also a huge factor, running tests with diffrent setups on the same surface is key to increasing your truck performance.

and picking lines just comes from experiance, knowing how your truck will react and whatcing for the flattest line through or the one with the most tire holds
extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 06:07 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

here in vegas we've got 5 crawl spots within 20min of the center or town so we go out crawlin 2-3 times a week. i almost never drive without gates, setup courses with side hills, climbs, break overs, everything you'd find at a competition. we'll setup a course or two, drive them a few times, tear down and setup different courses. usually in practice ill try to set courses that are damn near impossible.

when we don't set courses, we play follow the leader. the leader picks the lines and if he cannot make a line after a few attempts, the second rig in line takes over and picks the line and the old leader goes to the back of the line.. everyone usually gets a chance to lead the group and pick the obstacles that way.
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 06:53 PM   #13
Suck it up!

I've got a little pile of good sized and oddly shaped rocks that I can move around at will.

I usually set it up and leave it alone for a few weeks, untill I've run every line I can find. Then it gets torn down and reset differently.

While running those lines, I tune and tweak untill I can make it through spots I couldn't before. I watch how the truck reacts and moves with the changes I make. I like to see how many times I can raise the bar.

I'm the only local with a crawler, so playing follow the leader is out. :-(
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 07:41 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

you know beezlebob the way i practice is to study your "driving skills" and make sure i dont duplicate a damn thing you do!!! i am just joking dude, you know what i do is i get as much wheel time as possible and try and crawl with as many people in as many different spots as possible. also when i see a line that looks almost impossible i try that line over and over again until i "master" it. the biggest thing imo is always challenge yourself try the impossible stuff it really makes it fun. anyways, i wanna go to flagstaff soon so let me know and we will go after work sometime.
tonylivestoday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 10:18 PM   #15

all i did was just start off small then go bigger when you can. and once you have alot of rocks den just rearrange to wat you think will be difficult then just run it.
underagecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 12:55 AM   #16
D-Wray 4 Prez!

Just crawl every chance you get, so you know how your rig runs. Switch terrains and rocks so you have a mass of info on how your rig reacts to the different terrains.
Practice alot...no matter what you're crawlig on.
Frankenwheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:34 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

i run my rig alsmost every day and i try to find new places, maybe make some stuff i think my rig wont make then try lines that i cant make till i do make them and just making tiny little tweeks to my rig or adding an ounce here or subtracting a tad of weight here, and try lots of diffrent set ups to find what works best where im at and what works best in my area i have lots of center skid catchers at my course so i run a taller rig than a lot of people and they think im crazy for having a rig thats so tall with tons of flex and it works great for me
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:58 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Just practice at the comps, that's what I've been doing lately.

But it hasn't been working out so well. I need to practice more. The biggest improvement I saw is always running with gates.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:09 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

try to find the hardest lines you have on your rocks and drive them....the rocks i have built have some tuff lines that if not taken right you will not make them....plus when i do any tuning i know if it was a good move or went the other way on those same lines..............bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:11 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

at the comps
rockbound is offline   Reply With Quote