Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: first braze job, what do you guys think?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2009, 12:28 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default first braze job, what do you guys think?

searched around and got a few pointer here, so I decided to give it a try and make myself some rock sliders for my Tundra. I figured at my shop we have a oxy-acetylene tanks, might as well used them, and here's what I came out with:

So I fudged one on them because the brazing rod didn't have enough flux, and it's held on with scotch tape, but what do you guys think?

Last edited by Happy_trucker; 05-16-2009 at 12:30 AM.
Happy_trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2009, 12:50 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Good job,,Im new to it my self,,and if you have a shop where you can get to that stuff,Build all you can! I went through 4 cans of oxy to 1 map gas tank "Thats about $50,not to mention another $50 for the torch gun and hoses" I just wanted to try to build one since it was cold out and nothing much else to d,but mostly because I read a comment by someone "Its much more fun to build your own,Anyone can slide a credit card" Yea I agree now that I have built my own chassis that there is some kind of reward of building a one of a kind,,but It is no where cheaper unless you have access to free stuff. Sorry to get off subject of your post but just wanted to let others know,I dont think there is anything wrong with buying products already made
I would give those rock sliders a quick spray of paint,look much better
ProfitOfDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 01:03 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

I'm not quiet done with them yet. I will shoot some black paint on them when I'm done. Now that I understand how to braze a little and I have access to the equipment and material, I'm thinking the same thing, I want to build a tuber chassis on my own.....well at least as much as I can.
Old 05-16-2009, 03:42 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Looks pretty good, but did you take off the coating on the tubing before you brazed it? You must be using the brazing rod that has the flux already on it. You should give harris saf-t silv a try, thats what I use and if you do it right you won't end up with any extra brazing around the joint that needs to be sanded/ ground down after. I am by no means a professional on the subject, but I've tried both ways of brazing and much prefer the harris stuff over the prefluxed stuff, its more expensive but well worth it.
allgm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 08:13 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the compliement, I didn't really prep the surface before I brazed it and I'm only guessing that the brazing rod did have flux in it. The pic I have up now, is with a brazing rod that didn't have much flux on it, so it came out all ugly and everything, but then again, it's the user's fault. I don't know what the Harris Saf-t Silv is, I used the brazing rod because my shop have them and I don't need to spend anything This is only my first time, so I'm hoping I will only get better with time, i just need to braze a lot more and just learn.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:42 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Those look great. A little paint and they should really shine up.Nice design work too,,,
grouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 09:25 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Thanks dude, the design is scale down copy of the real thing I used to have on my wrangler
Old 05-21-2009, 10:16 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

looks good, but ya have to go with harris safety-silv 45 and just a mapp gas torch with the trigger head....much better and less globs that a rod will give ya..................bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:13 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

thanks Bob, I'll look into it, now I'm on the process of making a tube bumper for the front and then maybe something for the rear.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:20 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Looks good, a little 'dressing' with a Dremel and,viola!
You will be surprised at the small amount of brazing rod you really need to use, most of the time I glob on too much myself, and then have to grind off the excess.

Last edited by caymin last; 05-22-2009 at 08:27 PM.
caymin last is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:40 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

I started to realized that after I got a new stick of brazing rod, the first side was horrible compared to the other side, I actually went out and bought a pipe bending plier just to do some brazing. This plier has a "special" head that allow sharper turns without crushing the pipe.