Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: droop for a trail rig?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2009, 10:09 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default droop for a trail rig?

I have a quick question/idea i want to run by you guys. i run full droop on my crawler and i mainly crawl but my gf is more into speed and playing in the mud and what not and my favorite trail spot is about to be reopened with new hillclimbs,rocks and mudholes.so my question is can a droop rig trail ride like a spring rig? i know i dont have the ground clearence she does but i have more motor and a heavy finger but will the droop handle speed and some bumps and jumps? has anyone used a droop rig to rock race or maybe run an obstacle course? Or does anyone have tips or advice for me?
gooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2009, 09:22 AM   #2
RCC Addict

i'd say for a trail rig, go with a sprung set up.
STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:24 AM   #3
DBR
Quarry Creeper

The problem I see with a droop setup for speed and jumping is there is not much in the way of dampening. A spring setup up can absorb a lot of the impact associated with higher speeds and jumping.

Unless your link geometry has drastically changed with your droop setup, I would get an inexpensive set of coil overs and swap them out when you want to run with your GF.
DBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:28 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I was running droop on my Scale/Trail rig, and was not happy with the feel/response. I find droop to be slow....and better for crawling. I still run droop on my comp rig. But for my trail rig, I have switched to sprung.
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:51 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Where do y'all find these girls who are actually into R/C??

Vs. thinking you're a dorky nerd for being into R/C like every girl I've ever been involved with??

I'd sure like to find one.

You're probably looking at changing shocks for trail work, or coming up with a hybrid setup that has some spring to it. Droop setups do not have any bump absorbing qualities at speed.

Droop sort of works the opposite of what we commonly think of in off-road suspension...
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:36 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

I have driven a droop rig fast. They don't really handle that good. Too much bouncing around. Split the difference. Run a half droop set up that way you have a little spring to dampen the bumps.
nascarkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:50 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

im running droop on my trail rig..
sandblaster87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:59 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

In my experiences, they don't handle turns very well. The shocks like to unload and it gets kinda tippy. Some day I'm going to try internal and external spring working against each other, to see how that works.
thehopping1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post
Where do y'all find these girls who are actually into R/C??

Vs. thinking you're a dorky nerd for being into R/C like every girl I've ever been involved with??

I'd sure like to find one.

You're probably looking at changing shocks for trail work, or coming up with a hybrid setup that has some spring to it. Droop setups do not have any bump absorbing qualities at speed.

Droop sort of works the opposite of what we commonly think of in off-road suspension...

lol...My Wife sure hates My hobby.:-( but I think it`s the money thing. I have a full droop on a tuber and I would be scared $h!tL3$$ to run it fast.

Last edited by jamison31; 05-19-2009 at 02:33 PM.
jamison31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:55 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I just got lucky and found a girl that wants to hang out with me even if it is playing with rcs. And i may have been slightly misunderstood when i mentioned speed and jumps i mainly meant bumping the truck over logs and out of holes but like i said i have a heavy finger so 4 tires off the ground wont be uncommon im guess ill just try both setups and see what works best.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:50 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

doesnt the x trail kit come with the parts to run droop? its a scaler..
josh97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:32 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarkeith View Post
I have driven a droop rig fast. They don't really handle that good. Too much bouncing around. Split the difference. Run a half droop set up that way you have a little spring to dampen the bumps.
X2
I would pick up a set used shocks here, and set them up 50/50 style and put them on when you want to go a little faster. 50/50 (semi droop, 1/2 sprung, what ever you want to call it) works GREAT for a trail rig that will see a bit more speed than a comp rig. Or for that matter, depending on your current droop set up, just put a set of med. external springs on the shocks that you are running now when you want to go faster.
durango#95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:58 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

yeah i think im just gonna throw some springs on it to trail ride and droop for crawling. i may experiment with 50/50 though cause i like to tinker.