Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: my dig sticky dig.... help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2009, 01:18 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default my sticky dig.... help

I'm not exactly sure what's going on, so I thought I'd throw this thread up to get some ideas before I tear into this thing tonight. oh the mechanical dig woes

My dig will shift out of 4wd into 2wd or lock perfectly. The problem is getting it back to 4wd or 2wd out of lock when the back wheels are bound up. I'm pretty sure this has all to do with my servo being chassis mounted. Then again sometimes I think this is electronics related. I can be sitting there with the rear end flexed in lock. I will shift into 4wd and I will have to rock the throttle back and forth to get it to engage.

DNA dig w/JR 126mg 126oz servo
JR 8711 for steering

all hooked into a y harness to run off of my CC BEC. (6.0)

other electronics are

DX3 w/sr3000
1250 3s 10c lipo

Last edited by helhedded; 06-04-2009 at 02:50 PM.
helhedded is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2009, 02:27 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

How freely does it operate by hand? Do you have any noticeable slop/flex in your servo mount? Can you post a few other angles of your linkage? Have you checked operation without the linkage hooked to the dig to make sure the servo consistently operates as it should? Is it possible your rear male drive shaft is a bit long and is getting stuck inside the female shaft when in dig? That could make it hang up and require tweaking to get it back out of dig. We'll get to the bottom of it with ya...one way or the other.I still run mine on the original 225MG from my first VF test dig unit with no issues so I am sure we can get it figured out.

Don
billet works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 02:49 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by billet works View Post
How freely does it operate by hand? Do you have any noticeable slop/flex in your servo mount?
I can shift it by hand when there in no linkage hooked up to the dig, and there is no servo slop. that brace from the dig to the servo fixes that. The servo bracket is a 2 parter. The servo mount is delrin and the brace is thick aluminum. Currently the delrin servo mount is bolted to my frame. So it's bolted down in 2 spots. (frame and dig)

Quote:
Have you checked operation without the linkage hooked to the dig to make sure the servo consistently operates as it should?
no. I will have to check this tonight.

Quote:
Is it possible your rear male drive shaft is a bit long and is getting stuck inside the female shaft when in dig? That could make it hang up and require tweaking to get it back out of dig.
yet another thing I will have to double-check but as far as I know of, that answer is no.

Quote:
We'll get to the bottom of it with ya...one way or the other.I still run mine on the original 225MG from my first VF test dig unit with no issues so I am sure we can get it figured out.

Don

thanks Don, and here are your pics.

here is an older pic... I have replaced some parts since.. but this gives you another angle.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:40 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Have you replaced the driveshaft? If they are old & rocked up you may need to replace them so they slide easy.
Speedracer19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:29 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedracer19 View Post
Have you replaced the driveshaft? If they are old & rocked up you may need to replace them so they slide easy.
I just replaced them last comp. They only have two packs on them.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:54 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Yep.. It's the stupid shafts. I suppose I need to get some MIPs to make me last for the last comp of our season.
Stupid fawkin shafty. I know what I'm building next.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:02 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I am glad to hear it was just a shaft issue. Good looking out Don.;)
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote