Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Garden of the Gods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2009, 09:42 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Garden of the Gods

of Illinois...Has anyone ever been to or crawled at the Garden of the Gods in Southern Illinios? link: http://www.backpackcamp.com/GardenOfTheGods.html Looks good but its hard to tell if its all cliffs or it there is actually some flat rock formations that would be good crawl or not. Feedback anyone? May go on crawl trip Wednesday if its worth the drive...

Anyone been to One Horse Gap?
http://www.backpackcamp.com/OneHorseGap.html

Last edited by TBex; 06-11-2009 at 09:51 PM.
TBex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2009, 12:41 AM   #2

Nope but looks like a great place to go check out and see....take pics or vids
r2d2dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:13 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2d2dad View Post
Nope but looks like a great place to go check out and see....take pics or vids
That place is the S***! We ended up with 72 total files between pics and vids combined. Its definatly a must crawl place. The fun stuff is at the first pull off at the picnic grounds off through the trees and then also around the monkey head, camel back, table rock loop trail. Also this was all at the first park and there was around 5 within 15 minutes of each other thats all free admission that we place to check out also. The scenery is beautiful. We got rained on twice but just a short shower and the sun was back on and dried back up in just a few minutes. All went well other than a broken shock mount and link mount on my 1.9 rig. The terrain included tons of hot tub style dips with steep crawls out, tons of ledges, offcamber, twisty terrain. We plan on hosting an event there this fall that we hope goes over big. Date will be posted when we figure out a good time but we hope to do a weekend event from friday morning to sunday evening. We hope to include comps, trail runs, challenges like seeing who can climb the cliff the slowest without stopping, night runs, and a campout with a hog roast. Heres a teaser pic, I wil post more when they get uploaded to photobucket.

Last edited by TBex; 06-17-2009 at 10:42 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:00 PM   #4
no talent hack

looks like a good find, got any more pictures of the jeep scaler? build thread?
Nabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:24 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Heres the scale4x4 build thread, http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/sho...ght=Rockin+MRC. It performed really well. Both rigs surprised us on every obstable. The rocks have soo much traction over there.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:26 AM   #6

Twas a great adventure indeed tbex... Only next time ill remember the radio for my jeep and hopefully have the 2.2 up and running.... Till next time.

I definatly recomend all to at least research this place a bit, GREAT area....
stub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:11 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Default garden of the gods

I was there acouple weeks ago. My buddy lives just a few miles from there.We were planning to go again in week or so. Very cool place to do some crawling.Let me know on the date and we will be there...
Tugboatjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:25 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

We will definatly post the dates and let everyone know so we can try to make it a big event.

Heres some Vids and Pics from our run

Old 06-18-2009, 10:26 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Nice spot TBex. Gonna hold a comp there?
Benzbuildr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:36 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Everything was driven into and out of. Full album of the trip can be viewed at http://s626.photobucket.com/albums/tt346/Baja_XJ/

Last edited by TBex; 06-18-2009 at 10:41 AM.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:38 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzbuildr View Post
Nice spot TBex. Gonna hold a comp there?
Well it wont be just a comp, we want to have things for everyone to do so we are going to also have marked or guided trail runs that will be layed out on the rocks and comps, and fun challenges all in the same weekend
Old 06-19-2009, 06:11 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Ok somewhat of an update...It will have to be in the fall because both of us on our end are very busy while we are out of school and have alot going on so very late summer or sometime in fall. Either way it will be an action packed weekend. So with that being said with all the work that goes into putting something like this on we are planning and organizing already so we need ideas on what kind of events everyone would be interested in and a estimated head could so if you would post up if you would be interested in attending and also even if you arnt going to attend give us some ideas on what you would be interested in an event perspective. Trail runs and comps are a must but we need more than just that so ideas ideas ideas
Old 06-19-2009, 08:32 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I think the first thing you will need to do is talk to the forest service!! They might not be too keen on having a big event their without there approval. You may also want to make sure they are ok with rc crawlers on their rocks. They are fairly strick over there, so you may want to check all of that stuff before you get too carried away.

It is an awesome place to crawl. I used to go over there all the time when I was younger, but haven't been there since I've been into crawling.
redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:59 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Nice photos and a cool crawl spot!

Maybe it's me, but if that blue Jeep was painted red, it would look like a dead ringer for the Lower 40 jeep in the new 4W&OR magazine...very cool!
Pete from Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 06:51 PM   #15

Good point REDBARON.. Ive been checking it out and so far noone seems to think it will be that big of a deal.. Although I havnt talked to any BIG WIGS over there to see if it will be 100% on the conservation end of things, it seems like it will go over well according to the local park and recreation centers. We still have a BUNCH of planning to do and trying to figure out food and camping as well, but hopefuly it all irons out and we can have a fun filled weekend of crawling. Research and planning is all in progress.. You folks just stay interested!!! Any ideas and info would definatly be taken into cosideration.
stub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:01 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

I guess you talked to the same people I did, I talked to the ranger station thursday actually and they said it shouldnt hurt anything