Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Weighting Rear axle OR equal wheel weight?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2009, 07:22 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Weighting Rear axle OR equal wheel weight?

I was wondering if anyone weighted the rear axle with the same amount of weight as battery packs?

It seems that everyone has most weight up front, but I've read some threads on balancing weight.

My 8 cell saddle packs weigh 195g, so I made some weights to go on the rear axle that weigh about the same.

Was wondering if I should remove all weight from wheels to try this? The steering servo and steering pieces give a little forward weight bias.

-OR-
Maybe leave the extra weight off and remove weight from wheels using the saddle pack as the only weight?

Broken steering knuckle doesn't allow me to test this before the Sunday comp as knuckle will be installed at the comp!

Specs are:
MFM Black Widow with an R2D trans
45T Integy
8 cell saddle packs on front axle

Truck weighs 6.04lbs. without bats.
Rear tires / wheels total 11.5 oz. each and fronts are 13oz. each.
mascman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2009, 07:35 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I am going to clock the axles and fab a new shock mount for the lower links the rocks catch on the shock mounts and the motor catches every rock.
kasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 06:51 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I have decided to stuff dog shit in the tires...was wondering what kind of dog everyone recommends?
:(
Old 06-13-2009, 09:17 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascman View Post
I have decided to stuff dog shit in the tires...was wondering what kind of dog everyone recommends?
:(
Rottweiler. It has the most density, but yet remains flexible over uneven terrain.

But seriously, I have experimented with rear wieghts too. It helps in a couple situations, but overall I have to agree that strong forward bias is better. Better turning because rear tires can slip instead of just causing understeer. Better climbing because the rears can slip a little bit more instead of causing the front end to flip over the back.
Feel free to experiment, but fifty million RCCrawlers can't be wrong!
cruzer971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 05:08 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I run weight in the rear tires, not as much as the front. My rig is still front bias in the weight department, but I have to say...I think there is a point where the front being to heavy compared to the rear can be a bad thing. I like to keep mine close to the same, with a bit more in the front.
joemomma95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 08:13 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I wasn't going to experiment as there is a comp Sunday and I had a broken steering knuckle so wouldn't be able to test it. A club member was going to give me one at the comp.

Well, the local shop had Al. knuckles, so I decided to play with the weights.

I have stock Axial wheels with 3.75oz. in each of the four wheels, Rovers and 2 stage PL memory foams.

Basically, the forward bias will be the weight of the 8 cell saddle pack...195.3g.

I had made two weights that bolt onto the rear axle approximately the same weight as the packs.

It wasn't bad with the weight back there, but I think it is much better without it.

All in all I have removed 9oz. from the truck.

I think it's going to work well.