Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: my jeep build up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2005, 02:14 PM   #81
Quarry Creeper

OK now I have 2 nylints and one is needing a tt bad, I got my new chassis and imediatly took shocks off, stretched wheelbase to 18" and it has Clod Tires on it. I am building it for tought hill climbs mostly.
bigsuzuki86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2005, 09:37 PM   #82
Pebble Pounder

I just bought mine tonight. I got the non updated chassis because I was sick of looking for a new one. Needless to say, I am sitting here looking at it and what you guys are doing. Being a 1:1 jeep owner (definitely not stock) I know how important CG is. Have you guys noticed any problems with the tummy tuck making you roll more due to a higher COG? Especially whoever it was (I didn't look back) that cut most of the underbody off? I read in another thread that the TT was like driving a jeep with rockwells on 31s (lol) and was wondering if moving the motor on the rear axle helped with this? Also, with the "crappy" wiring, did you guys replace it or what? What tends to break with it? Has anyone addressed the issue of the wires that run down to the axle? What happens when you get so much suspension droop, have you increased their length? My friend cut the large tabs off that limit down travel, have any of you done that, I noticed in a few pics some people hadnt. Sorry for so many questions, it is hard to modify a 150 dollar toy that you bought on a college budget. Thanks! Christian

Last edited by MTUJeeper; 11-21-2005 at 10:15 PM.
MTUJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 06:10 PM   #83
Quarry Creeper

Thats I didnt cut a huge amount off the bottom of mine I wanted to get clearance without killing the cog. Moving the motor just helps front of the axle clearance doesnt hurt cog at all. DONT cut the tabs off, I did that and it was a big mistake. I finally got mine working right again. I am using all the stock wiring at the moment and its been fine. I was just and idiot and messed up a wire but have now figured out the problem. And you dont need to lengthn the wires
camoTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 07:19 PM   #84
RCC Addict

does inboarding the shocks make you lose clearance and does your upgraded unit have any difference in electronics over the old one?
Got Rocks? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 08:52 PM   #85
Quarry Creeper

inboarding the shocks lowers the belly alittle but thats it. I actually have outboarded mine alittle since the pics, makes it more stable

and heres the new progress
FRONT DIGS

for the front, I had to cut the black shift thing so it would not change the axle to high. You cant just take it out because, they two switches that the red arrows are point to have to be pressed down (left for low right for high) to make the back gear changer work/shut off.

closer shot of the cut, I then used hot glue to lock the axle in low. Keep it from poping out of gear when I have the switches in high gear
now for the back

I took an old piece of from an axle and cut it down to make a spacer so that, the rear can only slide over enough to be in neutral and not in high. I then glued it to the green housing

shifted into low the arrow shows the gap that is need to shift it from low to neutral

rear axle disengaged

if I could figure out how to upload video I could post some. Its a pretty cool mod, I need to figure out a way to lock up the rear axle when doing digs, it would work alittle better

oh and
stock flex vs mine, after I limited the rear alot more (used to flex about an inch more before I limited it to keep the shocks together
Old 11-22-2005, 09:02 PM   #86
Pebble Pounder

My friend didn't have trouble after removing those tabs, what was your problem? Also, how big is the video? I could probably host it for you on my school's account.
MTUJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 10:27 PM   #87
Quarry Creeper

I have no idea how big it is, its quick time, if that matters.

the problems I had was the shocks pulling apart more, they already did but it only made it worse, the axle would try and wrap under the jeep instead of climbing ledges. A center limiting strap solved the wraping but it made it just like with the tabs so there isnt really a point to cutting them
Old 11-22-2005, 11:04 PM   #88
RCC Addict

ok so what i need you to do is post a pic of your rear shock setup...please
Old 11-22-2005, 11:42 PM   #89
Quarry Creeper

do what?
Old 11-23-2005, 05:37 AM   #90
Pebble Pounder

i cut the taps to and have np with shocks pulling apart, but the rear does want to wrap under....nothing limilting straps wont fix

Face The Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 05:39 AM   #91
Quarry Creeper

how are your shocks no pulling apart I dont get it... Even if the shocks dont pull apart I really dont think all the extra flex does anything but look cool in posed pics. I got mine way to flexy and like I said made limiting straps and out boarded my shocks some. It works alot better now

Last edited by camoTJ; 11-23-2005 at 05:42 AM.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:49 AM   #92
Pebble Pounder

i had to glue lil plastic taps at the ends of the shocks so they dont pull apart, but im looking for bigger shocks all together so i can inboard the rear shocks even more.
Face The Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 03:13 PM   #93
RCC Addict

any updates camotj
Old 12-12-2005, 01:32 AM   #94
Quarry Creeper

just the digs was the last thing....other then that I just been drivin it. My focus is on the TLT
Old 01-11-2006, 11:53 PM   #95

So how do you like the front digs? Does it turn pretty sharp? It seems like the back tires would just roll. Just a thought. Let us know how it turned out. Thanks.
shoudabinacowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 02:24 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by camoTJ
I have no idea how big it is, its quick time, if that matters.

the problems I had was the shocks pulling apart more, they already did but it only made it worse, the axle would try and wrap under the jeep instead of climbing ledges. A center limiting strap solved the wraping but it made it just like with the tabs so there isnt really a point to cutting them
www.putfile.com or Google Video will host video's for free. I put mine on google video (check out "tow sledding")
tuneighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 01:35 AM   #97
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoudabinacowboy
So how do you like the front digs? Does it turn pretty sharp? It seems like the back tires would just roll. Just a thought. Let us know how it turned out. Thanks.
I like it, the only problem would be you have to wedge the rear tires first. but I have a plan to fix that. Right now its sitting half broken took a tumble down a pretty ok very steep hill
Old 01-16-2006, 02:18 AM   #98
I wanna be Dave

Hey CamoTJ, Do you have any updated pics? I haven't seen it for awhile with the body on. What broke on yours? And how do you plan on stopping the rear wheels from rolling during digs? I had some ideas, but don't think they would work well.

Last edited by run2jeepn; 01-16-2006 at 02:20 AM.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 04:14 PM   #99

Im pretty new to the rc thing, but could you some how cut the power to the rear motor when shifting to front only so the rear tires would drag? Instead of shifting from low-neutral keep the rear in low and have the neutral/high arm open a contact to shut off power to the back motor and drag the tires.
GreenCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 12:36 AM   #100
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn
Hey CamoTJ, Do you have any updated pics? I haven't seen it for awhile with the body on. What broke on yours? And how do you plan on stopping the rear wheels from rolling during digs? I had some ideas, but don't think they would work well.
eh nothings broke...it actually took the roll and then the roll again really good, just broke some limiting straps. I will see if I cant get something mocked up and posted for the lock on the rear. Since the parts I need for my tlt are on back order I guess I will have to play with the nylint.