Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: drunken monkey bridge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2005, 10:25 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default drunken monkey bridge

well i was sitting in my aerodynamics class the other day pondering building a stick with a transmision for my maxx, but torque roll seems it would be horible, well i got to thinking more and figured the only way to eliminate torque roll totally would be remove the suspension, and i came up with this. no springs just articulation. im still waiting on the big ball ends to come in the mail but when they get here it will be ready for a test drive. here are some prelimanary pics.

no springs, high clearence, low cog

drawn in how the ball links and the little link will be

well hope it works they way i want it to i will keep you all posted on the progress.
shortbusjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2005, 10:31 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Very Interesting.............I got to admit it's putting my brain in a knot! Hurry up and git ur' dun
JakeTheAlligatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 10:35 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

thanks i though the ends would be here to day but they arnt so im sitting here waiting, oh i forgot to mention its called the drunken monkey bridge, because it looks like a bridge, which made me think of monkey bridge, which made me think of brass monkey, which brought on drunken monkey, but i figured i needed to add bridge in there to tie it all together, the stuff an hour of aerodynamics will do to the mind.

sbj
Old 11-01-2005, 10:43 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Forced articulation. I thought of trying that but wanted someone else to test it first.

What will you do to locate the axles under the chassis?
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 10:57 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

im still pondering that, i was thinking of running a link from the bar to the axle on each side, but i just was thinking of one link per side from the chassi to the diff
like this

or the red one in the lowest pic of the first post
Old 11-01-2005, 11:32 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

progressive thinking. I like it. I'm very slowly trying to think of something for my txt. Where did you you order your giant ball ends from (as for that question what size are they exactly.) also am I insane or is that a frog tranny?
CrawlnSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 11:45 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

very good, yep its a frog tranny, and they will be 1/4 in ball ends i got them from http://www.mcmaster.com/ part number 60645K121 they also have nylon ones i got the site from the project xerox post, i bought my nylon ones for my stick there. i figured i needed a bit more strength in this aplication, if their super heavy i might replace them with the nylon type.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:48 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Honestly man I'd consider looking for a stronger tranny. I blasted through my previous frog one like butter. as soon as those things are put under any extreme stress pretty much everything frys. Good luck with it though. More power to you if it holds.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:58 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

i bought a bandit for the tranny and the guy threw a frog in also so i was like what the hell, plus im haveing to much fun driving the bandit, it seems to be holding good but thats just fooling aroung, it could use a little bit lower gear ratio, oh well, if it blows i canabalize the bandit, i like the smaller trannys.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:04 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

understandable. Any chance you're looking to sell off the frog leftovers? I really want to pick up another. First RC I've ever owned.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:09 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

ya i got everything but the tranny and the body. pm me if you want it.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:15 PM   #12

Wow thats a good idea. I came up with somthing like that but it wasnt for a rc and that was a couple years ago.
r34zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 05:04 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

i had it on my lego crawler for awail but i took it off because it would flop over the front axle when climbing hills under a load.
rockcrawler_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 05:35 PM   #14

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockcrawler_101
i had it on my lego crawler for awail but i took it off because it would flop over the front axle when climbing hills under a load.
nice dude... i have my lego crawler set up like that... but im workin on some new axles that will handle the load of my big a$$ tires...

This is really a good setup because it keeps even pressure on all tires and keeps the cg centered
monsterjeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 05:40 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

well ball ends didnt get here today either, so i hope they will get here tommarow, gonna mount the 1/4 scale servo up now. and lego crawlers? what are these you speak of?
Old 11-02-2005, 05:54 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Has no one figured out the obvious yet? I was going to do a similar setup with cantilevers, however, the chassis is just going to rock back and forth like a little baby in a cradle. There is nothing stopping the truck from leaning back and forth. If you ran shocks with springs chopped in half (to allow droop and compression, it might work. But even then it could rock back.
Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 06:03 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

exactly what i noticed when i mocked it up, but likeig the idea so much and not being a quitter i decided to keep pushing, that is why im going to use the like shown in post five drawn in in green.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:21 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plays_with_Toys
Has no one figured out the obvious yet? I was going to do a similar setup with cantilevers, however, the chassis is just going to rock back and forth like a little baby in a cradle. There is nothing stopping the truck from leaning back and forth. If you ran shocks with springs chopped in half (to allow droop and compression, it might work. But even then it could rock back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbusjeep
exactly what i noticed when i mocked it up, but likeig the idea so much and not being a quitter i decided to keep pushing, that is why im going to use the like shown in post five drawn in in green.
Fawk all that! Proof is in the Pudding! Go ShortBus Go!
JakeTheAlligatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 06:26 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

thanks for the support, if i can finish all my homework and the ends get here tommarow i hope it will be out for a test tommarow...
Old 11-02-2005, 07:20 PM   #20

Talking

Im rooting for him too because if it does rock back and forth then he can find a way to fix it then it will be sick.
r34zman is offline   Reply With Quote