Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Extra Low Gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2005, 11:09 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Extra Low Gear

Well, i had been thinking about doin it...and I finally had the parts for the swap...

I used another black planetary gear ontop of the stock planetary box...so now my low is lower and my high is my old low...didnt take that much modification but turned out awsome...you can actually crawl now...without tapping the gas...

given this is only really good for sticky rock like our rock course...and is absolutely worthless in dirt...but boy does it crawl...hopefully i will get a video up sometime soon.
skerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2005, 07:35 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Post some pics. I want to give it shot. What all did you use? That would be perfect for 2.2's.....
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 08:33 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn
Post some pics. I want to give it shot. What all did you use? That would be perfect for 2.2's.....
Exactly what I was thinking. The stock "LOW" just isn't low enough when you slap on the 2.2's. What color do you then remove fron the planetary when you add the second black? The white? Does it then become Black/Black/Yellow?
rerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 08:44 AM   #4

post pics, sounds cool!!!!
xsuzukix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 09:18 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Awsome, Looks like I'm gonna have to buy another Nylint
Lextronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 12:20 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

you actually add another planetary set to the standard set...so that the planetary box is one set longer... This makes it where your old low is now super low and your high is your old low.

I have a calc exam tonight...ill try to post pics tommorow. You only have to trim a bit of the case and it all fits perfectly...i love it.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:49 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

That sounds really cool.
Bam Bam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 02:17 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by skerb
you actually add another planetary set to the standard set...so that the planetary box is one set longer... This makes it where your old low is now super low and your high is your old low.

I have a calc exam tonight...ill try to post pics tommorow. You only have to trim a bit of the case and it all fits perfectly...i love it.
Weord. From what I remember, there isn't much room in the axle case for another reduction. I thought there was a screw point right behind the motors that would be in the way. Interesting...

I got a new Nylint in the mail the other day when my original broke. My son wanted it so he could play too, but now his is on his last leg also. Maybe when his is done-for; I'll tear his apart and see if I can make mine run again. I'll have to use his front axle for rear steer though.
rerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 02:29 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Get those pic's posted............................
Old 11-04-2005, 07:52 PM   #10
Ultimate RC Decals

so where are the pics??
BOWTIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 03:11 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rerock
Weord. From what I remember, there isn't much room in the axle case for another reduction. I thought there was a screw point right behind the motors that would be in the way. Interesting...

I got a new Nylint in the mail the other day when my original broke. My son wanted it so he could play too, but now his is on his last leg also. Maybe when his is done-for; I'll tear his apart and see if I can make mine run again. I'll have to use his front axle for rear steer though.
I thought this too, those axles are pretty short on space.
Trike Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 08:00 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

The only way it would work is if you replaced the high gear with another low gear. But I still don't if that would work.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:18 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

when i took pics the pics of the gearboxes were too dark...i got a video of one of them in action....here is it in Low LOW

RIGHT CLICK _SAVE AS

http://people.clemson.edu/~mkirby/wallykrawler1.mpg

http://people.clemson.edu/~mkirby/wallykrawler2.mpg

Im going to take another pic of the planetary tommorw.

Last edited by skerb; 11-08-2005 at 10:21 PM.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:05 PM   #14
Ultimate RC Decals

nice vids!
Old 11-09-2005, 08:54 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

the twisty ties are temporary till i go pick up some more 3mm hardware i didnt have any long enough at the time... they are plenty strong though....im also thinking about putting a bolt through the center of the axle housing as the fit on this is tight even with extensive trimming as you can see...basically i cut and test fit...cut and testfit till it worked out...Also note...i did this on brand new axles so the screws that hold the axle housings together are fresh and strong still...i noticed after taking them apart a few times they get loose and can eventually strip out...but it hastn happend with this setup because there is acutally less stress on the gears and motor...

drum roll..............

told ya it was easy...now i want to see a vid of someone with 2.2s on this setup...i may do it...may not...still decidign...tires are so expensive and i dont want to spend any more money.

my total tally is

stock nylint crawler $40

hardware for stick chassis $5

being able to climb vertical rock faces in a walmart rig...priceless
Old 11-09-2005, 09:13 PM   #16
Ultimate RC Decals

dayum! im going to have to try this.. thanks for the pics and vid.

anyone have some spare gearboxes they like to get rid of?? :
Old 11-09-2005, 10:51 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Mine will be done tomorrow, just need to go get another truck. Maybe even do 4WS since i will have the front axle.
BLK6.0HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 12:36 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Now that I look at it...the reason i used the black gear was to have an opening for the axle gear to bite...i think you could acutally use an extra white one instead and put it before the black instead of after it...so you would have two whites instead of two blacks...

only reason i was thinking about this...i happend to have a few planetary boxes laying around from when nylint sent me some...but one guy mentioned buying some planetarys...you could actually use a black planetary from one gearbox to lower the front...then use the white planetary from the same gearbox to lower the rear...

if that makes any sense....I have been studying statics for 3 hours and its 2:40 am...so bear with me.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:27 AM   #19
Ultimate RC Decals

Quote:
Originally Posted by skerb
Now that I look at it...the reason i used the black gear was to have an opening for the axle gear to bite...i think you could acutally use an extra white one instead and put it before the black instead of after it...so you would have two whites instead of two blacks...

only reason i was thinking about this...i happend to have a few planetary boxes laying around from when nylint sent me some...but one guy mentioned buying some planetarys...you could actually use a black planetary from one gearbox to lower the front...then use the white planetary from the same gearbox to lower the rear...

if that makes any sense....I have been studying statics for 3 hours and its 2:40 am...so bear with me.

so what your saying is i don't need any more planetary boxes to lower the low? i can use what i already have?
Old 11-10-2005, 07:38 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

you will need one extra planetary box total...and you can use the white section and the black section from it....

that is opposed to using the black section from two different boxes..