Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Will Associated ever come out with a comp crawler?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2009, 05:16 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Will Associated ever come out with a comp crawler?

Do you think it will happen? I am a Associated guy and would love to see one. Then it would be like racing and they can have the battle with losi everywhere
C_Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2009, 05:25 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Topics already been discussed. Associated dominates for the majority on the track so they should keep their R & D at what they are good at, making top notch cars and winning races
TBex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 05:27 PM   #3
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Money View Post
Then it would be like racing and they can have the battle with losi everywhere
Maybe the battle for second place.

I have never been a racer but have always heard the Associated is usually way behind the trend (with the mini's being the exception).
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 05:39 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post
I have never been a racer but have always heard the Associated is usually way behind the trend (with the mini's being the exception).
trends dont win race's solid proven cars do.. And AE has always done that pretty well.
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 05:46 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Why would they want to? People would just complain about it.
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 05:48 PM   #6
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze View Post
You act like that's not how the world works

People buy it, then complain. Important part comes first
Old 06-23-2009, 07:04 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze View Post
Well said. Buncha babies around here.... incapable of adapting, improvising or overcoming their couch.
mmbackpacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:05 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I always liked AE better. Losi always had brittle plastic and seemed like they tracked funny to me.
ubbb69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:13 PM   #9
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post
Maybe the battle for second place.

Trucks, Touring Cars, Nitro's and 4wd's ........ yeah they've pretty much trailed behind everyone else. But thats not to knock their habits, in the end they always seemed to produce a competitive vehicle.

Theyll come after the market share at some point, everyone wants a piece of the pie.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:19 PM   #10
RCC Addict

I have heard a rumor around here in SoCal but thats all Im saying...
AE Does and always have made kick ass cars and trucks, hands down one of the best in the hobby business no doubt. I think they wi.. could make a great crawler!

Why do you think I havent jumped on the Losi Crawler 'wagon' yet? Not that its not a great truck its just I have always been an ASSOCIATED guy.

Anyway, great topic, hopefully their (AE) reading this thread...
KRAWLR4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:32 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Is anyone that works for AE into crawling? Cuz i have a feeling if Rich wasn't into crawling we wouldn't have the comp crawler right now.
cfox109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:53 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

i think that if ae had a strong r/p then they would have something out. if they are willing to invest into a new gearset, then the rest would be months out. losi took a chance with worm gear set-ups and are lackluster with the customer reviews. ae needs to assess what is innovative, and what will work in the field. moa's are the new thing, so what can ae do to compete with, or jump on the band wagon to profit off of the crawling thing? scale is what is working for them (sc10), maybe scale crawling that does not require the torque that comp crawling does, could be next?
doomdog666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:09 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Ive raced both AE and Losi stuff for years. Both are equally capable of developing great products when their parent companies stay out of it (AE before and after thunder tiger's buy out is night and day, same with losi and Horizon). Most of the "so-so" products that everyone has issues with are a result of the parent companies trying to squeeze AE and Losi into the basher end of the hobby. The monster trucks and minis are vehicles that have inherent problems from the get go. I managed a hobby shop for 7+years and I saw how the market changed after traxxas released the tmaxx. Now the target market isnt the die hard racer as much as it is the noob that walks into a hobby shop for the first time and sees a huge nitro powered 10 pound behemoth capable of 40+ mph or a mini truck capable of 20+ mph. Anything that large or small going that fast is bound to have issues, especially when you throw in a 12 year old kid from china building it from sub-par materials because thats what price break the company told the manufacturer to build it at. The AE 18T is a prime example... AE specs a little tougher plastic and electronics and marketed them for $189 when they came out. Thunder Tiger marketed the same truck with a little lower grade material for $169. Then radio shack starts selling the exact same truck with junk material for $100. None of the three companies listed designed the truck, they just told the chinese factory how they wanted it built based on a price point. Plus, the factory can move a piece of the mold here and a piece there and none of the parts interchange. RTR versions of AE and Losi race vehicles are the exact same thing... they tell the asian manufacturer what they are willing to pay per piece and the vendor cuts a corner here and there to get them to the public cheaper.
killswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:07 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I emailed them about a month ago told them they should build a crawler they said thanx for the sugestion !
HOLLYWOOD7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:09 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAWLR4life View Post
I have heard a rumor around here in SoCal but thats all Im saying...
AE Does and always have made kick ass cars and trucks, hands down one of the best in the hobby business no doubt. I think they wi.. could make a great crawler!

Why do you think I havent jumped on the Losi Crawler 'wagon' yet? Not that its not a great truck its just I have always been an ASSOCIATED guy.

Anyway, great topic, hopefully their (AE) reading this thread...
Do you know something we don,t
HOLLYWOOD7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:19 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Do you think it will happen? I am a Associated guy and would love to see one. Then it would be like racing and they can have the battle with losi everywhere
Yes, I believe they will. When it's all said and done, most RC manufacturers will have something crawler related in their inventory. I am afraid the market is getting saturated though. Only so many buyers out there and the pie keeps getting bigger and bigger. Manufacturers need to sell a lot of trucks to break even on the mold costs and I am not sure that is an easy task, unless you come out with something different, better and less expensive than the next guy.

Last edited by John; 06-24-2009 at 09:35 AM.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:21 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD7 View Post
I emailed them about a month ago told them they should build a crawler they said thanx for the sugestion !
All of us should do this I would buy one for sure!
Mr Glassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:36 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

I agree, we should all email ae about building a crawler. Kinda like calling our congressman, our voices need to be heard
SACCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:04 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I agree, I am an AE guy and it always seems they release later than everyone else. My guess for that is so they can fine tune everything and make it that much better than the next. I want to get a comp crawler soon but I may wait to see if AE comes out with one and buy a SCX10 for now.
C_Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:22 PM   #20
20K Club

Quote:
I agree, I am an AE guy and it always seems they release later than everyone else. My guess for that is so they can fine tune everything and make it that much better than the next. I want to get a comp crawler soon but I may wait to see if AE comes out with one and buy a SCX10 for now.
I wouldn't hold out for that reason. Even if they are working on one it could easily be 1-2 years before something is released. There will always be something better/newer/stronger on the horizon. You can wait and wait forever.