Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Super Shocks- My first RC CNC item

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2009, 04:50 PM   #1
Sometimes, I make things.

Default Super Shocks- My first RC CNC item

I have been playing with this idea for a little while now, and i finaly settled on using Traxas Big Bore Maxx shocks double stacked. The Traxxas Shocks are nice quality compared to some others i looked at. I made a coupler to stack 2 t-maxx shocks, cap to cap for my Super Class Crawler built. This is the first item i have made on the machine i operate at work. It came out pretty nicely, i am anxious to start building my Chassis. Its looking like my shock towers may be flush with my roofline =P I will be switching out the stock Maxx springs for progressive Slash style springs.

Next up will be ditching the stock XTM Chassis entirely and building a tube chassis. I will be skinning it with panels from an 81-87 Chevy/GMC 1/10 scale Parma body (Clodbuster Replacement) I am undecided as to wether or not i will be using the stock XTM links or not, we will see. I am tracking down some pieces of metal to mount the axles to so i can figure out my wheelbase, i'de like to get it to just over 16" or rite at 16". I have a long way to go but it should hopefully come together quickly. I have a few sets of these couplers i may sell, PM me if you're interested.

crazyorigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2009, 05:38 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

those looks pretty sweet I've thought of using revo shocks in a similar manner but have no access to machining equipment.
BoredGord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 05:43 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredGord View Post
those looks pretty sweet I've thought of using revo shocks in a similar manner but have no access to machining equipment.
I'd agree, Maxx shocks are too long, 3" plus another one is huge. The smaller revo shocks stacked like that would be bad ass.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 05:50 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

that's cool and all but super class rigs have been running and winning for years with 4" or shorter shocks on them. i just don't see a need for shocks that long. you could very easily run a dual rate spring setup that way though.
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 06:16 PM   #5

I havent seen this done and i wanted to try something new. I will also be able to run one shock sprung, and the other w/o a spring like a droop only shock. It will be interesting to set up. I dont think the revo shocks would have given me the amount of travel i wanted.

Plenty of things that arent necessary have been tried, sometimes we find them to be totaly necessary

I wanted some huge shocks, i think it will look pretty cool when i am done, i will likely end up with some tall a** shock hoops :-P
Old 07-07-2009, 06:36 PM   #6
Hateraide

Why didnt you just run savage shocks there plenty large.
Code454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:32 AM   #7

That would have been too easy and what fun would i have had? I think i will like having big, obnoxious shocks.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:39 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Default what

looks good for flex
808toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:33 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

that looks very cool
GH Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 05:56 PM   #10

not bad, but they do seem to be to long well at least to me they do.

I look forward to seeing some chassis and other stuff you might be able to machine
lucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:23 PM   #11

They are definetly realy long, the shock hoops will likely be flush with the roofline. I wanted some big, crazy shocks, plus they will be fun to tune. Also, the Slash progressive springs i want to run will lower the over all length of the shock at ride height by i am guessing close to 3/4 of an inch. we will see. I'm hoping to be able to run soft progressive springs and have more downtravel than up. I need to order some spring kits and try em out, but i realy need to start building my chassis some to see where i want to mount the shocks exactly. Here is a pic to the start of my frame jig i am building. It has a bunch of mounting locations for the axles so i can play with that a bit. I will be making add on attachments for it to locate link and shock locations.

P.S.......yes my shocks are as long as the stock XTM links, hahaha. Wheelbase is set at 16.5 inches now.

Last edited by crazyorigin; 07-09-2009 at 08:34 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:37 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

That chassis is going to be tough to hide under a body.
Soya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:25 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Dual rate droop. . . ? many possibilities w/springs or w/o for sure, or Combination of the 2 - like you said.
Have fun CrazyO
APESHAT is offline   Reply With Quote