Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Any servo experts here?????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2004, 02:10 PM   #1

Default Any servo experts here?????

Ok I am trying to figure out how I can get a servo to flip from rev. motion to norm motion.With out going through the radio.I would like to use another servo (3rd ch)to switch a switch to change from norm or rev motion.
Any ideals on how I can do this?
Ren92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2004, 01:44 PM   #2
The Wheels Keep Turning

Default Re: Any servo experts here?????

they sell servo reversers that are installed between the receiver and the servo that reverse the motion of the servo.

do you want to be able to reverse the motion of the servo using another channel? that~s possible, but you~d have to make something custom.

you would have to buy a servo reverser and switch between a direct connection of the signal wire or through the servo reverser. it~s not that difficult. the only problem i could see is were the servo sees center when you switch back and forth. that may cause some problems.
kevinlongisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 03:02 PM   #3

Yes that is what I want to do.I have a xr3 for my XF that I have put 4ws on and would like to make it where I can turn rear wheels either direction.
Old 03-19-2004, 08:54 AM   #4
The Wheels Keep Turning

now i~m not sure if i fully understand what you want.
Old 03-19-2004, 11:10 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Could you not just hook the rear servo up to the 3rd channel?
Gimbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 07:21 PM   #6

OK what I want to do is to have 4ws on the XF and some control of rear wheels.My thoughts are if I use a Y cable for the front & rear servo off the one ch for steering and use the 3rd ch. to make the servo move in the normal direction or reverse it with the flip of a switch.If I just put it on the 3rd ch. I think it will only go full right or full left. I have seen a Y cable that is reversed but I don't know what makes it a reverse cable. :? I know it can be that hard to do what I want,I just need find what they use in that cable I guess.
Old 03-19-2004, 08:33 PM   #7
Colt Python/SR9c

well not sure "exactly" what you are trying to explain,but if you put both servos on a Y cable (with or without a reverser) they will be hooked together and you wouldn't be able to control one or the other. they would both be on the same channel..if you want to have control of both of them seperate,you will have to put them on different channels

i found my Y harness with reverser at a local hobby shop that is more into airplanes. it was $8...tower hobbies sells one but its about $20 for theirs
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 09:48 PM   #8

Yeah I guess I not explaining it right then.I know that I don't have as much control of the rears if I use a Y cable as far as being able to move just the rears wheels but thats not really that important to me an I dont really want a stick style radio.If I just put it on the 3rd ch. your dont gain any thing either because you dont have that kind of control either.Plus I don't see how you would be able the drive the truck with the rear servo pluged in the 3rd ch. because the servo is not going to rest in the center on the 3 ch.That is why I want to use my 3rd ch on the radio to switch an switch from norm or rev. like the radio does.This would let the truck turn better in the rev. mode and then let the truck just move sideways or crabwalk in the norm mode.It would be like if I used the servo to switch between fwd and rev.I would have the Y cable in reverse setting for the most parts but it could be a great tool if the truck just needed to shift sideways a little bit.All you would have to do is flip the 3rd ch switch and BAM the truck's wheels are all in the same direction.I think I will go to the lhs Sat and see if they have a reverse Y cable and make a relay box to do the work.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:27 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

hey are you using a JR XR3 contrloer if so set the 3 channel to 3P and that will give you 3 positions center right and left so when your not holding the button the servo is in the center

Hope this help's (i am using my XR3 for 4ws
austinsclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 11:09 PM   #10

Yeah that is what I am using.I will give that a try tomorrow.Thanks for the info austinsclod
Old 03-23-2004, 08:31 AM   #11
The Wheels Keep Turning

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsclod
hey are you using a JR XR3 contrloer if so set the 3 channel to 3P and that will give you 3 positions center right and left so when your not holding the button the servo is in the center

Hope this help's (i am using my XR3 for 4ws

my buddy zbigbadwolf has his setup like this and i~ve used it. it works well although the position of the buttons is awkward.