Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: R2 2 speed RC4wd tranny DIG

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2009, 12:34 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default R2 2 speed RC4wd tranny DIG

i hope these R2's are doing better so I can have one again.

How are these trannies holding up to large scale with big motors ? or 2.2 with cobalt motor

I had one that lasted 3 feet with a 55t on 8 cell nhmi and a 11lb super with heavy drag brake.
Maybe I just got a bad one
I would really like a 2 speed and the new 2 speed with DIG would gain me 2wd front 2wd rear , 4wd hi low and front and rear dig in my setup.

List what you have:
R2 2speed with DIG
or Just a 2 Speed
So I would like to hear some feedback of your rig, weight, ESC battery, motor ?

Thank u
Attached Images

Last edited by toy4crawlin; 07-15-2009 at 09:20 AM.
toy4crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2009, 02:36 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

gota be somebody with feedback
Old 07-16-2009, 06:36 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I can tell you what happened to my R2 HD when I used a 500 Cobalt motor and a 3s LiPo. ( 10 lb scaler with TLT axles)

It lasted about 5 minutes of full throttle running. The bearings were toast and the 32P gears were almost melted. The gearbox was so hot I couldn't touch it.

Forget about running any serious through these gear boxes, they just aren't up to the task. A stock plastic AX-10 tranny will last a lot longer.

My opinion is, the issue is with the gear pitch rc4wd uses in the trannies. You need at least a 48P gear, but a 64P gear would be ideal for big power.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 07:23 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
The bearings were toast and the 32P gears were almost melted. The gearbox was so hot I couldn't touch it.

Forget about running any serious through these gear boxes, they just aren't up to the task. A stock plastic AX-10 tranny will last a lot longer.

My opinion is, the issue is with the gear pitch rc4wd uses in the trannies. You need at least a 48P gear, but a 64P gear would be ideal for big power.
48p and 64p gears are finer than 32p... 64p is not crawler friendly. Its way too fine to run on a crawler and its strictly for onroad use only.
killswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:55 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I can tell you what happened to my R2 HD when I used a 500 Cobalt motor and a 3s LiPo. ( 10 lb scaler with TLT axles)

It lasted about 5 minutes of full throttle running. The bearings were toast and the 32P gears were almost melted. The gearbox was so hot I couldn't touch it.

Thank you very much for feedback, I asked rc4wd and they said it would hold up fine., which I doubt because my first 2 speed broke the first 3 feet on flat ground crawling slow on a 55t 9.6 volts

Can you tell me what speed you were running ?

Did they refund you, what happend ?

Strength is Mod 1 gear 32p are you kidding
Old 07-17-2009, 12:35 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

64P are you serious? do you have any idea what you are talking about? how bout you go get a 64p spur/pinion and put it on you axial tranny let us know how many feet you get with that before the spur is gone..
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 02:32 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Did you leave a little play in the pinion gear mesh or did you make it tight ?
Old 07-17-2009, 06:37 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4crawlin View Post
Thank you very much for feedback, I asked rc4wd and they said it would hold up fine., which I doubt because my first 2 speed broke the first 3 feet on flat ground crawling slow on a 55t 9.6 volts

Can you tell me what speed you were running ?

Did they refund you, what happend ?

Strength is Mod 1 gear 32p are you kidding

I was using a 18t pinion on the cobalt 500 to get some wheel speed. I have no idea how fast it was in M.P.H, but I had to run to keep up with it.

I just purchased a rebuild kit to fix it.

mod 1 is decent, mod.8 is equal to a 32P gear.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote