Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Scorpion or Creeper?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2009, 03:05 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Scorpion or Creeper?

I was reading the poll between the Axial AX10 and the Venom Creeper that was posted late last year and a lot of comments were made about giving the aftermarket a chance to catch up with the Venom Creeper.

I planning on buying a kit within the next month (newb) and was wondering if the upgrades have caught up with the Creeper yet?

I had my mind made up on the AX10 ATR kit, but now after researching the Creeper and reading some reviews I'm not sure which way to go.

Anyone had a chance to run both kits for comparison for any length of time?
kortt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2009, 03:29 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

I think they are both very capable rigs but if it's the after market support your looking fir the AX-10 can't be beat.
801FuNk801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 04:59 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Well, I was looking for opinions from people on the kits in comparison as they stand for things like durability, quality, pros or cons as far as both kits technology, such as suspension etc, right out of the box.

The Creepers been out long enough I think for people to have formed opinions on it. A strong aftermarket presence would be a plus for the Creeper if it exists and I must admit I haven't looked into that aspect for the Creeper yet.

I know both Axial and Venom have good customer support so that's not really an issue.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:22 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Ax-10 all the way!!! I have three!!! plus tons of aftermarket goodies....
Mudsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 06:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudsy View Post
Ax-10 all the way!!! I have three!!! plus tons of aftermarket goodies....
I just bought a creeper, and while it is every bit as good as the AX-10 out of the box, there is no denying the aftermarket for the AX-10 is a lot more exciting.

If you're cool with not having easy access to a multitude of parts, or just working a bit harder to tune er up, the Creeper is an incredibly nice kit. That said I feel a bit left out from the aftermarket fun being a Creeper owner.
warDialer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 06:54 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by warDialer View Post
I just bought a creeper, and while it is every bit as good as the AX-10 out of the box, there is no denying the aftermarket for the AX-10 is a lot more exciting.

If you're cool with not having easy access to a multitude of parts, or just working a bit harder to tune er up, the Creeper is an incredibly nice kit. That said I feel a bit left out from the aftermarket fun being a Creeper owner.
Took some time and looked around a bit and seems you are right...not a lot out there, at least in proportion to the Axial stuff.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:58 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Although I have neither. I'm a forum troll, looking at EVERYTHING, and I must say, based on general rules of thumbs, it would seem the ax-10 is the best bet over the creeper.
meffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:47 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Default Ax10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kortt View Post
I was reading the poll between the Axial AX10 and the Venom Creeper that was posted late last year and a lot of comments were made about giving the aftermarket a chance to catch up with the Venom Creeper.

I planning on buying a kit within the next month (newb) and was wondering if the upgrades have caught up with the Creeper yet?

I had my mind made up on the AX10 ATR kit, but now after researching the Creeper and reading some reviews I'm not sure which way to go.

Anyone had a chance to run both kits for comparison for any length of time?
I have seen and controlled both i personally own the ax10 almost moded to extreme of not being the highest dollar stuff there is so much upgrades that you can buy that really are not exspensive and make it a great crawler right out of the box.

My buddy has the creeper and he mostly just makes his parts or finds ways to make it better not much out to buy.

I have drove both and would say the ax10 is the one to go with.

Have fun crawling its the best investment i have made so far.
junior ax10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:37 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Looks like the AX-10 has way more parts available right now.
acrosteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:45 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrosteve View Post
Looks like the AX-10 has way more parts available right now.
true but the creeper is newer have u thought about a scx10? its newer but if u want a dig unit a creeper has it included but i say ax10 rtr its cheeper then u could upgrade it along the way

Last edited by xDamianx; 07-31-2009 at 03:32 PM.
xDamianx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:05 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

ax-10! you can make it a true comp rig with the after market stuff
jamesdicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:14 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Venom just lowered their price on the creeper kit to help people out during the tough economy to 149.99. They are a very tough kit out of the box, there were 4 box stock (except tires) creepers in the top 20 in the WCC novice class this year. There is not the after market support for the creeper yet but the few parts that you should upgrade are out there (c-hubs knuckles, rear lockouts, drive shafts etc) I own both and a box stock venom is is much better than a box stock ax-10. If you want aftermarket then the ax-10 is for you, if you want a kit that you dont need to put alot of aftermaket into then go creeper.
1\4elliptic toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:25 AM   #13
MODERHATER™

I have built both and still have one.

Venom is much cheaper to get started.

I built one and love it! I have run it pretty hard on 11.1 volts with a Sidewinder ESC and a 50 turn handwound and have not one complaint. No carnage. It is my girlfriends truck so she beats it pretty hard too.

When I built a AX-10 I ran it on 7.2 volts, Rooster Crawler ESC, first time out I broke a driveshaft (easy to replace with Pede shafts) Then I broke a knuckle, then a axle c, then a transmission output, shock tops, I could go on.... I ended up dumping a couple of hundred dollars in upgrades into it just to get it to hold up within a few weeks. Then I sold it.

The aftermarket is great with the AX10, some companies are coming out with parts for the Venom as well.

What are your plans? Competing or just crawling around?
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:49 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

I can see 3 possible reasons why there aren't as many aftermarket parts for the Creeper:

It's still a fairly new kit and tooling for upgrade takes a while.
There aren't as many Creeper owners, so the market for upgrades is smaller.
It works from the box and doesn't break easily, so owners don't actually need many upgrades.

I bet it's a combination of the three.

Having read all the info I could find for the last year, I bought a Creeper. I'm happy with it.
clockworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:19 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

AX10 all the way, You can go into most hobby stores in the US and the have parts for them. Its almost like going into a parts house and asking for parts for a 350 chevy. They are just that popular!!
dirttrackdemon93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:10 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Go with a Creeper. Build what parts you need and have fun with it. That is how the sport was started anyway.
88_Pathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 02:06 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Default crawler

get the ax10, i got one and love it, al;so get the rtc, it owns out of the box
cliffclimba:) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 02:22 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

I think the thing that really kills the Creeper is the need for a 4ch radio if you want dig and diff lock and that the vast majority of crawlers prefer pistol TXs over sticks. If a cheapish 4ch pistol TX with epa comes out Creepers will shoot up in popularity but until then in Axial all the way.
Tupers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 02:48 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupers View Post
I think the thing that really kills the Creeper is the need for a 4ch radio if you want dig and diff lock and that the vast majority of crawlers prefer pistol TXs over sticks. If a cheapish 4ch pistol TX with epa comes out Creepers will shoot up in popularity but until then in Axial all the way.
Venom give you diff locks as standard and the option to run a dig, so the AX10 is better because it doesn't have something that the Creeper does?

If you want a Pistol Tx with more channels, you can build your own for $100.
clockworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 03:07 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockworks View Post
Venom give you diff locks as standard and the option to run a dig, so the AX10 is better because it doesn't have something that the Creeper does?

If you want a Pistol Tx with more channels, you can build your own for $100.
Unfortunately not everyone has the time or skill to make a custom pistol radio.

The key selling point of the Creeper is it's diffs but you can't turn as tight with open diffs as you can with dig. I think many people buying a truck for comps would like to have tightest turning circle possible making an AX10 with dig better than a Creeper with open diffs.
Tupers is offline   Reply With Quote