RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   General Crawlers (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-crawlers/)
-   -   it getting into RC Crawling worth it? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-crawlers/190625-getting-into-rc-crawling-worth.html)

Kevin Minato 07-24-2009 12:16 AM

it getting into RC Crawling worth it?

Hello everyone

I am a bike trials rider and I was riding on some rocks one day and there were some rc Crawlers there. I was so fascinated that I came home and did a whole bunch of research, and now I want to get into the sport.
but I have a few questions.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
I plan on getting a Losi Mini Rock Crawler (blue)<o:p></o:p>
But I plan on keeping everything completely stock on it cause I don’t want to start spending a lot on it.

a) How long does it take to charge the batteries from 0% to 100%?<o:p></o:p>
b) How long do the batteries last for?<o:p></o:p>
c) Will things break a lot on the crawler?<o:p></o:p>
d) Does the sport stay interesting or does it get boring after the first 5 hours<o:p></o:p>
e) It getting into RC Rock Crawling worth it.<o:p></o:p>
f) Is the Losi Mini very durable?<o:p></o:p>
Thank you for reading this and please answer my question

PS. I have loved off-road all my life if that makes a difference. And please tell the truth.<o:p></o:p>

kalin96 07-24-2009 12:26 AM

pretty much every one on this site are fanatics, so all your gonna get about is this hobby woth it is definently yes"thumbsup"

crash 07-24-2009 12:27 AM

I voted yes. I am an avid wheeler/fabricator and I just fell in love with this part of the sport.

But--don't go with the mini. Go with a 2.2 of some form--you will love it more than the mini IMO...

2500hdon37s 07-24-2009 12:30 AM

i mountian bike too, yes its totaly worth it. its tons of fun and you can always do the free mods to make it better and i started with one and now have 3 a year later and a slash its a blast to comp and just run them

peyton. 07-24-2009 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Minato (Post 1906917)
Hello everyone

I am a bike trials rider and I was riding on some rocks one day and there were some rc Crawlers there. I was so fascinated that I came home and did a whole bunch of research, and now I want to get into the sport.
but I have a few questions.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
I plan on getting a Losi Mini Rock Crawler (blue)<o:p></o:p>
But I plan on keeping everything completely stock on it cause I don’t want to start spending a lot on it.

d) Does the sport stay interesting or does it get boring after the first 5 hours<o:p></o:p>
Thank you for reading this and please answer my question

PS. I have loved off-road all my life if that makes a difference. And please tell the truth.<o:p></o:p>

a)depends on what battery you get. and the charger.
b)" "
c) if you drive it hard yes.
d)only if you play with it in your living room, and want to go fast(these are really slow)
e) i find it worth it, cause i crawl atleast once a day.and i have a nice spot.
f)from what i hear they are nice and durable, small, but fun, also depends on how you drive it, majority of the people on here go to comps. (i dont) so their crawlers have tons of money in them.

PS. we will all tell the truth! all i can tell you is what battery and charger i have, (which is great) i get about 45 minutes of run time battery rc18t and a MRC Super Brain 960 AC/DC Peak Charger (NiCD and NiMH)
. im just tryin to help but if you want anything better you can find it on here!"thumbsup"

oh and if you want a 2.2 crawler. (that will probably never break drivin properly)

the axial artr kit, with a novak crawler combo, and the rc18t battery and whatever rx/tx you want. awesome play around kit.

viper6171 07-24-2009 12:53 AM

i am just getting started in crawling but i say yes

kasper 07-24-2009 07:17 AM

If you have to ask then your answer is probably no

adale4130 07-24-2009 08:10 AM

a) every battery and charger combo will be different.

b) again, depends on what electronics, motor, etc. and what capacity your battery has.

c)Like some have already said. When driven properly you wont see much breakage.. When you do break something.. upgrade, chances are it wont happen again.

d) Its always interesting to me. I can't speak for you.. I guess it depends on how deep you dive in to it. Having a good spot to crawl always helps.

e) def. worth it.

f) i dont own one, so i cant really address that. But i think it would be an excellent choice if you want a mini.

The fun part for me is not only the crawling itself, but also the technical/mechanical side of it. Doing tweaks and mods and trying new adjustments to see what will work best. If thats the kind of thing you like, you will find this hobby very rewarding. I couldnt imagine someone who hates turning wrenches and problem solving enjoying this hobby. Get one! you wont regret it.

BEELZEBOB 07-24-2009 08:17 AM

spend a week or 2 on here.

go to the video forum.

do research, strive to understand the costs and requirements

if it still tickles your balls,

then spend the $20 to get a star, and buy something from the classifieds.

crawlinlosi 07-24-2009 08:18 AM

Quote:

a) How long does it take to charge the batteries from 0% to 100%?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

I have several MRC's 4 to be exact. 1 of which has never been modded. 1 that has had the "free" mods. 1 that I am building into a scaler and a fully modded comp MRC. My comp MRC breaks nearly every outing where as my completely box stock MRC hasnt broken yet and my stock MRC I have had the longest.. The following answers are based on my box stock MRC.

A.) the stock battery and charger takes roughly 3 hours to charge from dead empty.
B.) how long the battery lasts depends on how long and how hard you beat on the rig. on my stock MRC I can get anywhere from 30 minutes to and hour and 30 minutes.
C.) Again it depends on how hard you push the MRC
D.) I have been crawling since the MRC came out, I NEVER have a boring/ dull moment with any of mine.
E.) MUCH cheaper than a 1:1 rig. Easier maintainence than a 1:1.But, the sport is what you put into it. If you buy it and never play with it its not worth it. If you buy it and only put the radio down long enough to charge the battery's (like me) then yes worth every penny you put into it...
F.) see openning comments and answer C above.

2brokefor1:1 07-24-2009 08:22 AM

Look for biased opinion much?

JeepinOR 07-24-2009 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2brokefor1:1 (Post 1907244)
Look for biased opinion much?

All opinions are biased. :flipoff:

Quote:

<o:p></o:p>Thank you for reading this and please answer my question

A) Since you're talking stock charger/battery: about 4 hours
B) Depends on how hard you crawl. It varies: 40-90 minutes.
C) Just about everything will/can break, especially in the crawling world. But like all other things, it all depends on how your treat it. There may be a few things (such as front/rear lockers - $10 each) that will eventually need replacing; I've beat my MRC pretty bad and have only had to replace a few inexepensive things. It's all part of the fun. ...as suggested above, search through the Losi MRC section, there's lots to be learned that might be good for you to know before you buy.
D)It depends on the type of person you are. If you're fickle and tend to switch hobbies once a year, you may find yourself getting bored. There's lots of things to do to keep it interesting: free mods, build a rock garden in the back yard for crawling, etc...
E)This is relative, too. If you drive the car three times and get bored, I'd say it wasn't worth it. Again, as suggested: read through the forums for a week or so to read about the good and the bad, watch a lot of videos, and chill for a while to make sure this won't be a passing interest. It might be harder to wait, but in the end, you may be glad that you educated yourself before jumping in.
F) See "C." It certainly is durable, but as I've said, all things break; and it's in the nature of the hobby to replace/upgrade (but this doesn't necessarily mean it has to be expensive).

Take your time.
Good luck!

*I love my li'l MRC and have no regrets.

Borkenhagen 07-24-2009 09:56 AM

Mountain Biking and R/C Rock Crawling are my favorite things to do!

Borkenhagen 07-24-2009 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepinCA (Post 1907337)
All opinions are biased. :flipoff:

A) Since you're talking stock charger/battery: about 4 hours
B) Depends on how hard you crawl. It varies: 40-90 minutes.
C) Just about everything will/can break, especially in the crawling world. But like all other things, it all depends on how your treat it. There may be a few things (such as front/rear lockers - $10 each) that will eventually need replacing; I've beat my MRC pretty bad and have only had to replace a few inexepensive things. It's all part of the fun. ...as suggested above, search through the Losi MRC section, there's lots to be learned that might be good for you to know before you buy.
D)It depends on the type of person you are. If you're fickle and tend to switch hobbies once a year, you may find yourself getting bored. There's lots of things to do to keep it interesting: free mods, build a rock garden in the back yard for crawling, etc...
E)This is relative, too. If you drive the car three times and get bored, I'd say it wasn't worth it. Again, as suggested: read through the forums for a week or so to read about the good and the bad, watch a lot of videos, and chill for a while to make sure this won't be a passing interest. It might be harder to wait, but in the end, you may be glad that you educated yourself before jumping in.
F) See "C." It certainly is durable, but as I've said, all things break; and it's in the nature of the hobby to replace/upgrade (but this doesn't necessarily mean it has to be expensive).

Take your time.
Good luck!

*I love my li'l MRC and have no regrets.

^ What He Said :D ^

Mr Glassman 07-24-2009 10:04 AM

I voted no. I'm only on here to find fellow knitters (and haven't found a forum for it yet)

Anybody want to make some sweaters this week?

BEELZEBOB 07-24-2009 10:12 AM

hey man you do good work
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...Do2CsgPI_LCXBQ

Big Mike 07-24-2009 10:43 AM

Mountain biking got me interested in rock crawling - when I almost T-boned a real Jeep coming up Moab Rim trail as I was bombing down...

Mr Glassman 07-24-2009 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BEELZEBOB (Post 1907402)

Now those are some sweater puppies!

ctraut5 07-24-2009 12:32 PM

RC in general is a great thing. I have been into all things RC for over 18 yrs, and crawling for about a year now and it is very very addictive. My advice is not to get into it if you don't plan on spending some money. Most of the fun for me is hopping things up and working on them. The MRC is a great first step too.

cliffclimba:) 07-24-2009 03:35 PM

crawling

do it, i mtb and its awsome becuz when im training for mtb, i always look out for good crawler spots, and the races have awsome spots at them 2:)
i know u trials ride which involves less xc riding, but rc crawlingis awsome